Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Share Your Norcal Lexus Dealer Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 03:14 PM
BayAreaLex
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Share Your Norcal Lexus Dealer Experiences

Hi guys,

Since picking up my 2001 GS430 three years ago (bought it with 90K miles and it currently has 115K miles), I’ve had a chance to have my car serviced at three Norcal Lexus dealerships. Most the time I do my own work but there have been times when either work and/or family life just hasn’t allowed the necessary free time to do a job myself. Here are my experiences:

Lexus Concord – I have nothing but good things to say about this dealership. I’ve had oil changes and brake work done here. They’ve always done a great job, car comes back clean, staff is responsive and friendly. I’ve never had any problem this this dealership.

Lexus Redwood City – These guys have also performed routine oil changes for me along with an alignment. I had one bad experience here that really left a sour taste in my mouth however, so much so that I don’t think I would return. Back in 2013, I took my car here for an alignment. They aligned the car and gave it back to me. Everything seemed great for a couple of days and then I started noticing that the car was pulling left on the highway. I drop the car back at the dealership and they confirmed that the alignment specs have changed after putting the car back on the rack. Then they tell me that they isolated the problem to the steering rack and it needs to be replaced. I ask them what in the world the steering rack could be doing to allow for the alignment to change. Their response to me was that “the rack is failing internally and must be jumping teeth.” They then quoted me $2200 for parts and labor but because I’m a good customer, they could do it all for $1800 (how nice of them!). As someone who has done service on his own car for a dozen years, it didn’t make any sense to me. I took the car over to Custom Alignment in Mountain View and explained the situation. They got the car on their rack and confirmed that the problem was the rack bushings needing replacement. The rack bushings were replaced (with Figs poly bushings), and it cured the problem. It’s been fine since 2013. I almost got taken for a $1800 ride when all that was needed was a simple bushing replacement!

Lexus Pleasanton – Back when I first purchased the car in 2012, I noticed that the car had developed a steering wheel shimmy problem (I wanted them to rebalance the wheels and change the oil). I called Lexus of Pleasanton to make an appointment. Because my free time that week was limited, the sales rep offered to have someone pick up my car from my house and drop off a loaner at the same time. I thought, wow, how convenient. Sure enough the next day someone from Lexus of Pleasanton shows up at my house, we fill out some paperwork, the rep leaves me with a loaner car (new Lexus IS250), and drives away in my car to take it back to the shop. I notice he was drinking a coffee that he took into my car. I thought it was unprofessional, but I didn’t say anything. Lexus of Pleasanton finished the wheel balance and oil change and made arrangements to drop the car off at my house the next day. The rep shows up the next morning with my car and I notice that both passenger side rims have been badly curbed! I was livid! I immediately called the manager and they agreed to refinish both rims which took several days. I had to return the car and take back their loaner. They did a great job refinishing the wheels but I still can’t believe that someone would do this and then they give me the car back hoping I wouldn’t notice or care. Another bad experience.

I guess I’ve had some bad luck when it comes to my experience with local Lexus dealers. Anyway, I’m curious what your experiences have been with Norcal Lexus dealer service?

Since it is close to my house, I wonder if anyone uses Burlingame Toyota for their Lexus service (basic stuff like oil/brakes/etc)?