Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-13, 06:18 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you think?

Quick story. Let me know what you think.

I bought some iforged rims on the fourms here and installed them no problem. Had them on for a month without any issues. Anyways I had to replace all my rotors and brake pads. My friend said he could get OEM parts for me at a good price. $400 for 4 rotors and 2 sets of brake pads(basically an extra set for each wheel) and $140 for the install. (good price or what?) I also asked him to rotate the wheels because he noticed they weren't in rotation.

Day 1
Told me he has to drive to his friend's shop to get it installed in hayward. Calls me later saying his friends place is closed on sundays so he is going to a friend in Milpitas. Later he calls me and says my pistons in my brakes were pushed out so far because my brake pads were so woren out.( I want to say 2 nickels stacked up were left) and its going to take longer than today.

Day 2
He replaced everything and tells me my brakes are super squeaky because something about GS are know for that with oem pads. He tells me he is going to get aftermarket akebono pads and he is going to have to go to vallejo to get it. Now I just want my car back so whatever I told him to do it because he wouldn't take no for an answer.

Get my car back that night 300miles more, half tank of gas, mileage counter reset at 83miles and I see "Check System" on the dash. I know damn well hayward to mipitas to vallejo to hayward is not 83miles.

So he tells me the check system light was on when he got the car from me. I looked at the 2 front wheels and the plastic dip around the rim wasn't smooth as if something was pressed against it and rotated all the way around. But the rears were fine(stretched tires). I went for an alignment and tire balance today and the guys told me I didn't have TPMS on the rims just from looking at the rubber head on the inner barrel of the rim. But iforged has a 90 degree adaptor that could be placed on the regular air hole. But if I didn't why wasn't I getting any warning on the dash for an entire month? Could be because the tire rotation? What you guys think?

Last edited by aLexGS350; 09-14-13 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-15-13, 10:17 AM
mrkim
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow you just got tricked by your friend. I've been changing brake pads and a check system when changing pads? LOL wow he must have f'ed something up on your car. the squeaking thats total bull... don't trust your friend ever again.

Just spend the money buy the pads from the dealer and we can make a TECH DAY out of it, hook it up with some starbucks and possible lunch it'll be all good.
Old 09-18-13, 07:06 PM
Mikeyy
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I answered your question about the tpms sensor on the 3gs forum

As for your brakes, there are actually actually two brake pads available for your front brakes, the low dust pads will reduce dust and noise while the regular pads are known to have noise when braking.

There is actually a TSB available for this.

Also for the check system light, that'll illuminate due to tpms system problems
Old 09-18-13, 11:41 PM
aLexGS350
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikeyy
I answered your question about the tpms sensor on the 3gs forum

As for your brakes, there are actually actually two brake pads available for your front brakes, the low dust pads will reduce dust and noise while the regular pads are known to have noise when braking.

There is actually a TSB available for this.

Also for the check system light, that'll illuminate due to tpms system problems
Thats good to know about the brake pads. Thanks. I also saw your post.
Old 09-19-13, 09:53 AM
droopy128
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think he has any tool for wrenching if he has to go to some shop.. replacement of pad and rotor on lex/toy don't need much tool..