Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

CA: Bay Area - Bad Solenoids, Wobbling Crank Pulley, Pick n' Pull

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 05:43 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CA: Bay Area - Bad Solenoids, Wobbling Crank Pulley, Pick n' Pull

I drive a 1995 Lexus SC300 4sp automatic. I've been driving the car with bad solenoids in the transmission for quite a while now. I'm also starting to notice that my crank pulley is wobbling. Need to get this car back in working order and I am having difficulty doing so as I recently moved to northern California from southern California. Since the move I have yet to meet anyone who is mechanically inclined like my friends from where I used to live.

Is anyone in the bay area willing to lend a helping hand in getting this car in proper running condition? I think there are a couple of SC's at the local pick n' pulls that would probably be good subjects for the parts I need. Of course I would be willing to compensate for your time with money, food, beer or something of those sorts.

Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 02-27-13, 06:11 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any plans to mod? Now is a good time to upgrade the crank pulley... if you dont wanna have it happen again? I just bought a Titan dampener for that same reason.
Old 02-27-13, 06:13 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Preferring to stay cheap and just swap it from another SC at the pick n' pull. I've also read somewhere that an upgraded unit is more prone to failure than the OEM unit. I'm definitely open to that option if it's cheap enough.
Old 02-27-13, 06:23 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by supascoob
Preferring to stay cheap and just swap it from another SC at the pick n' pull. I've also read somewhere that an upgraded unit is more prone to failure than the OEM unit. I'm definitely open to that option if it's cheap enough.
Youve heard underdrive pulleys cause damage... not the titan one. But its not cheap. just paid 350 for it.
Old 02-27-13, 06:24 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Youve heard underdrive pulleys cause damage... not the titan one. But its not cheap. just paid 350 for it.
Maybe so. Yeah 350 is a bit outta the price range right now. I'll look into the titan though.
Old 02-27-13, 06:28 PM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

here ya go.
http://www.titanmotorsports.com/timoda2jcrpu.html
Old 02-27-13, 09:30 PM
3L4jzz31
Pole Position

There was a SC300 up here in Fairfield (pick-n-pull) with the pulley you're looking for (was like 3 weeks ago when I looked at it) pretty sure the transmission was untouched too. Might be worth a look if you're ever up in this area. GL w/ getting it back in shape.
Old 02-28-13, 12:07 AM
yammy
Driver

I was at the Pick N Pull to look for Integra parts for my friend at the one near Berryessa. I believe on Commercial? Theres a lot of old old BMWs, Fords, Hondas, Toyotas and stuff. Nothing Lexus haha so I would probably cross that Pick N Pull off the list. I checked it out a week ago.
Old 02-28-13, 12:23 PM
PseudoK
Pole Position

ahem: http://www.picknpull.com/check_inven...0&Distance=200

thats all you need to do..
Old 02-28-13, 12:30 PM
adl16v
Pole Position

There notorious for failing I have changed mine 2x already. Better to buy one new since you don't know when the used one will go out..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lexus-GS300-...8714b0&vxp=mtr
Old 02-28-13, 02:33 PM
supascoob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the help. Thanks for moving this thread to a proper forum also.

Yeah I am aware of the inventory for pick n' pulls around me, checked them prior to posting this thread and there was a 1995 SC300 in Oakland (3miles from my place) presumably with the parts I need. The main reason I created this thread was to get a helping hand in getting the job done. Never really worked on Lexus' (more experience with Honda and Subaru) and I just want to get the job done right without taking it to a mechanic.
Old 04-16-13, 12:59 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

if you can actually see it wobble its too late the crank is too damaged... i just got rid of 2jzge :/ sorry friend no easy way out..