Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Just got pulled over =(

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-11, 02:49 PM
josephdoc
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You won't get proper legal advise here (because we are in a fun house of Lexus owners) but many of us sure have some tips for you.

There is nothing you can do to your speeding issue. To follow the law, you will need to put your o/e exhaust and intake back and get sign off by an officer. There are other routes to handle the fixable violation but not much I can share here.

Find a friendly cop (how? and where?...) and let him/her know you are equipping with DOT approved (Department of Transportation) exhaust and intake and see if you are lucky enough to slide.

Good luck,
Old 05-23-11, 05:37 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

WTF!? i just got pulled over AGAIN! the cop cited me for modified exhaust, even after i told him that i was pulled over a few weeks ago for the same thing, that my oem exhaust was "on the way" to be shipped to me, and that the hks exhaust complied with state standards...what he said was that it was illegal to modify an exhaust to make the car louder and that i would have to show him the previous citation for the modified exhaust, which i didnt have on me or in my car...

does anyone know a cop who can sign these off for me? or does someone have an oem exhaust that i could borrow for a week?
Old 05-23-11, 07:41 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You should ALWAYS carry your citation with you as proof that you already got one. Sorry to hear. Where did this happen?
Old 05-24-11, 09:47 AM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

in davis -___- i was in san diego for the weekend and then within 2 hours of being back in davis i got pulled over. the last time a cop pulled me over was in 06, and now that ive moved to davis ive gotten 2 in one month.
Old 05-24-11, 10:34 AM
PK_Celsior
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dam sorry to hear man!!! i though you where gona leave your car in sd???
Old 05-24-11, 10:40 AM
Micaiah

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

See what going to school does to you??

I'm wondering if you can get the second one waived since you are still working on the first one.

My friend got a ticket for modified exhaust. On the way home she got another one, about 45 mins later. But since they were so close the second one was forgiven.

Edit: Just saw the first one here was a month ago. Maybe that won't work. They might say you should have had it fixed by now.
Old 05-24-11, 01:21 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TofuMaster
WTF!? i just got pulled over AGAIN! the cop cited me for modified exhaust, even after i told him that i was pulled over a few weeks ago for the same thing, that my oem exhaust was "on the way" to be shipped to me, and that the hks exhaust complied with state standards...what he said was that it was illegal to modify an exhaust to make the car louder and that i would have to show him the previous citation for the modified exhaust, which i didnt have on me or in my car...

does anyone know a cop who can sign these off for me? or does someone have an oem exhaust that i could borrow for a week?
Bad luck! Sorry to hear. This is why I painted my mufflers flat black; to attract a little less attention. Only the tips are polished. HKS exhausts are not that discrete.
Old 05-24-11, 07:11 PM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn... that totally sux. I think the court will dismiss the second citation since you were already charged for that offense and technically guilty. You cannot be guilty of a crime that you were already guilty of.

Axle-back exhausts are street legal in CA but has to be within a legal sound range as others said. Unless you have super loud exhausts, I don't see why cops should give out tickets. Or the cop just had a bad day and wanted to take out his stress on you.
Old 05-24-11, 08:03 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's why I got electronically adjustable flow mufflers.

About a 10 db reduction when fully closed; it almost sounds almost stock.

Nice and meaty when WOT on the freeway. Best V8 sound I've heard on a GS, IMHO.

Old 05-24-11, 08:26 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

^lol i dont have the money for that

shadow, i wasnt even driving. i was in traffic waiting for a stoplight. i short shifted all the way to 3rd @15-20mph so i dont see why my exhaust would have been excessive and give reason to pull be over. maybe he smelled my fumes (i have headers) cuz he was on a bike...

i called the court today to see if i could do trial by declaration and they told me that i was ineligible to do so...what the heck? they also said i could contest the exhaust citation at the court appearance. does anyone have the HKS exhaust document for CA vehicle code compliance? HKS USA hasnt replied to my email nor answered their phone when ive called

Last edited by TofuMaster; 05-24-11 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-24-11, 10:08 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I heard hks usa went out of business a few weeks ago!!!
Old 05-24-11, 10:34 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

i heard that too but i thought they were closing over summer...
Old 05-24-11, 11:07 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A cop pulled me over because he noticed my straight pipes which I thought were legal in FL. He said "heard the turbo spool" when I took off from the light. Turns out he has a gs460 and he let me off with a warning.
Old 05-25-11, 08:14 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure what are all the conditions to be un-qualified for trial by declaration...

But if I remember correct, if you got traffic infractions, you should qualify. A misdemeanor is a disqualification.

You can mention that you car was stopped in traffic and that the noise level does not exceed the noise level as allowed by CA VC. Therefore it would be impossible for the officer to legally issue that ticket since he was unable to determine the illegal sound db of the exhaust.

My guess is that the cop will cite anyone with an aftermarket exhaust. He probably figured that you have other illegal mods on there that will affect the sound.
Old 05-25-11, 01:42 PM
TofuMaster
Pole Position

^the disqualification for trial by declaration is for my speeding/modified exhaust ticket.