Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

2nd gen GS300. NorCal and State Referee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-10, 10:02 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2nd gen GS300. NorCal and State Referee?

Hi guys, I'm in the process of moving back to Northern California and would like to get some inputs from you guys in regards to the State Referee.

I used to live there about six years ago and went through a few rounds with the State Referee before with my old cars. Back then if you're appeared to be modified then they would just send you to the ref, especially if you drive any type of imports. I've been away for a quite a few years so I don't know how bad it is over there right now.

Do any of you guys driving modded 2nd generation GS ever get pulled over, had your hood popped and sent to the State Referee?

For what its worth, I'm going to try and keep all my mods as subtle as possible aesthetically since I really don't want them getting on my case.

Thank you all for your inputs .
Old 10-26-10, 10:25 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ONLY UV gets pulled over and get's his hood popped.. He's got one of those looks that EVERY Officer has profiled as a trouble maker LOL.

Seriously, do a search for UV he has a good story.

Other than that the GS crew and myself have been cruising the entire Bay Area for 9+ years now and I have heard of no instances where someone got their hood popped during a citation.

The only concerns would be exiting out of big car meets like HIN, plus a "certain" officer in Fremont, with a rep for citing modded cars.

UPDATE: Here's the link for UV's thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nor...s-trouble.html
Old 10-26-10, 10:46 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Thank you for chiming in. That made me feels a lot better coming home with the car.

Edit: After reading UV's thread I will make sure to peel off the front tint before I move back.

Last edited by Agent0024; 10-26-10 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-26-10, 11:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

lol, it's always fun to read UV's stories again
Old 10-26-10, 11:39 AM
shadowman
Lexus Champion

Don't forget any type of blue light that can be seen from outside of your car on public street is a no-no. They'll hit you with "impersonating an officer" fine. That includes blue LED lights inside your car that can be seen from the outside. I learned this from HyperMKIV

I would also avoid blue LED interior just in case.

That's more the reason why I chose yellow fog overlay than the optic blue one. You are allowed to have one set yellow lights at or below the headlights. This is legal under the DMV motor code as an auxillary light. BUT should not be used as yellow headlights because the key term here is "auxillary".
Old 10-26-10, 01:07 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shadowman
Don't forget any type of blue light that can be seen from outside of your car on public street is a no-no. They'll hit you with "impersonating an officer" fine. That includes blue LED lights inside your car that can be seen from the outside. I learned this from HyperMKIV

I would also avoid blue LED interior just in case.

That's more the reason why I chose yellow fog overlay than the optic blue one. You are allowed to have one set yellow lights at or below the headlights. This is legal under the DMV motor code as an auxillary light. BUT should not be used as yellow headlights because the key term here is "auxillary".
After all my troubles with the CHP as well as the Sheriff, I've learned my lessons. This time around I'm going to keep the cosmetic mods at the absolute minimum with only a slight lowering and some wheels. Whatever exhaust system I'm building is going to be painted black without any kind of canon sized tips. Intercooler will be black, and there will not be any kind of lighting mods inside or outside of the car.

I'm more concerned with them popping my hood and finding engine mods as I don't ever want go to court or deal with the state referee again.

Thank you for the advice .
Old 11-07-10, 10:38 PM
StockGS400
Pole Position

Lexus doesn't qualify as a possible "street racing" car according to cops. . . The most they see us with is possible tint or ride height violations. . . Till this I have yet to get my hood pop
Old 11-08-10, 08:10 AM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default car

I would agree with the statement above. Cops mostly look for "Look at me" or extra loud exhausts and signs of speeding. Mostly Honda/Nissan/Subaru/Mitsubushi big wing looking cars. Lexus' seem to a bit more luxury than racer!
Old 11-08-10, 06:50 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

I've already bolted the front license plate back on and the front window tint will come off before I leave for Cali.

It is good to hear that from you guys though. Thanks for chiming in.
Old 12-17-10, 11:48 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Well, 2200 miles and a "check engine" light later I've made it back to San Jose from Dallas. See you guys on the road.
Old 12-17-10, 02:41 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Nice.... if ur up to it after that long drive come hang out with us on the 19th
Old 12-17-10, 02:55 PM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PEARLIS250
Nice.... if ur up to it after that long drive come hang out with us on the 19th
Sounds good, where will you guys be at? .

Edit: The IS meet at Foster City right? I'll try to see if I can make it. I have to resolve this Oil Control Valve issue first.
Old 12-17-10, 04:19 PM
iRock
Lexus Champion

Yep the CL my.IS combo meet.... part milbrae part somewhere else for some grubb... should be awesome! hope u can make it.
Old 12-17-10, 04:22 PM
Sffd103
Fire Slayer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you drove it 2200 miles you can come down for another 45 miles!
Old 12-19-10, 10:30 AM
Agent0024
Pole Position

Well, I took the car apart to take care of some maintenance and it seems that I wont be able to put it back together for the meet. I'll see you guys at the next one.

Quick Reply: 2nd gen GS300. NorCal and State Referee?