Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Window Tint recommendations in the SF Bay Area: All Threads Merged

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 03:14 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my take on this whole bra thing. I've had it done by a few companies in the past, two of which no longer in business and one that's still around (I think). Premier is hands down better than any I've personally seen. They do cost more, but the difference in quality is acceptable for my wallet. Before I would just repaint my bumper, but there was one problem. I would get it nicked as soon as I drove it on the freeway. I would wait until I get enough nicks and dings on the bumper before I get a repaint and that is typically one year or so. On my IS, after one year of ownership, not one ding except for a windshield crack. I think Glen's pretty picky with these things and if he says ok for one product, I think he's pretty spot on. (I'm constantly following your threads and insight Glen!)
Old 01-12-07, 06:50 PM
Irishman06
Lead Lap

I have gotten a small "rock chip" in the film on my hood (I say it in quotes because somebody flicked a cigarette butt out of their window in front of me and it went up and over my car, so it may have actually been a hot ember). I should stop by Premier and see what they think, but its not too bad. Anyone who comes out to Milpitas Square tonight will get to see it .

Which Magnussen's finance guy wasn't very nice btw? Both my buddy and I worked with Ray, but he may have treated us nicely because we're Toyota employees...
Old 01-13-07, 10:24 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
So, what does a clear bra look like after a rock strike? Also, what does it look like after 5 years in the sun? Has anyone done a film treatment to their windshield?

I have not done this to any of my cars, but I am curious. If I took $795 and invested it today with a plan of repainting my front end in 3 years, I suspect it would be a wash. Just trying to figure out where to spend my $$$.
I started to respond a few days ago and lost what I had composed, so I just had a chance to re-try just now.

The clear bra on the hood of my silver car has been very clean and has not yellowed for 7 years. I think I have one rock chip that actually penetrated the material.

That was the old 3m stuff. Technlogy has improved and I know that not all clear bra materials are created the same.

Right now the latest Venture Brand used by Premier is far superior to the 3m brand of material. Check your clear bra installer to see what they are using.

The Venture has a much smoother finish, which will not look like an orange peel which shows up a lot when installed on dark colors such as black.

The Venture is almost impossible to rip or chip. It would actually take a hefty and sharp object impacting at high speed to penetrate it. I have seen several cars where the body was dented by heavy debris and the film stayed intact.

I would say that the Venture material overall will not degrade over time. It's not like paying for a repaint every 3 years. It's more luck than anything that you will not hit a major object. For 99% of the standard rock chip creating debris out there the protected areas should stay pretty darn clean.

Actually I recall that Premier offers a guarantee against paint damage on any chip that doesn't not dent the body.

The other thing I like is that bug splat comes off a lot easier.

If you consider the material alone, regardless of how good the shops workmanship is, if they are not installing the Venture brand of clear bra film (such as 3m brand, also known as Xpel) I would say that is one reason for the cheaper cost and you will not get as smooth a finish or as good a protection as shops using Venture.
Old 01-13-07, 02:58 PM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

I got 2 of my cars done at Auto mall tint factory last week. Everything looks good. Don't really have anything to compare against, but I'm satisfied.
Old 01-14-07, 11:05 AM
L3XOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ill get you hooked up for 7 windows windows $200 at WINDOW TINT PLUS in fremont. They do a GOOD job. Ive always gone through them. They tint high-end vehicles. PM me if interested
Old 01-21-07, 09:28 PM
TLEX
Lead Lap

I had all my cars done at Rocky Mountain Window Tint - Livermore. Always satisfied with their quality.
Old 01-22-07, 02:53 PM
JasonC
Pole Position

I was in there last week and to the luck of my day, they had the Maserati mc12 in their getting the entire car done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took pictures and posted it on the car chat section in case any of you missed it. Not sure what they're worth, but Sam at Premier told me that the last one at an auction sold for $1.7 million with only a few of them in the U.S. I didn't have the ***** to go near it so I only took shots from 10 ft away. If people are sending them their million dollar cars and jets to get it condomized, I'm all in for my $40k baby.
Old 01-31-07, 05:32 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonC
I was in there last week and to the luck of my day, they had the Maserati mc12 in their getting the entire car done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I took pictures and posted it on the car chat section in case any of you missed it. Not sure what they're worth, but Sam at Premier told me that the last one at an auction sold for $1.7 million with only a few of them in the U.S. I didn't have the ***** to go near it so I only took shots from 10 ft away. If people are sending them their million dollar cars and jets to get it condomized, I'm all in for my $40k baby.
I second that! i saw the car and heard the story from Sam...
Old 02-25-07, 10:41 AM
LazyAlex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Window Tint recommendations in the SF Bay Area: All Threads merged

anyon knows a good place to tint windows? i only know of two..
mach III which i heard do a pretty good job
and
bay car stereo,..which im stayin away from cuz they ****ed up on my friends car
Old 02-25-07, 10:57 AM
uplusd
Lexus Test Driver

auto mall tint factory
fremont ,ca
http://www.automalltintfactory.com/

the best

Last edited by uplusd; 02-25-07 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-25-07, 11:16 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

Thumbs up Great Work!

Eclipse
in Sacramento, CA (916) 334-5000
Lifetime Warranty

The Sacramento Kings, some rappers, and others get em done there. They have done everything from Bently's and Lamborghini's to the average run of the mill car.

I have had 3 cars done there with nothing but great things to say. 2 SC's and an Accord.

Last edited by Slinger; 02-25-07 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-25-07, 11:38 AM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

dynamic audio... lifetime warranty
Old 02-25-07, 11:59 AM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

PM STOCKGS400. He got his done at a good place. Life time warranty also.
Old 02-25-07, 03:02 PM
2OO4IS300
Rookie

Thumbs up Window Tint

Rocky Mountain Window Tint has done an excellent job each time on my 04 Hummer H2, 98 Camaro, 04 IS300, and 92 Chevy full-size Blazer. They are on El Camino Ave at Hurley...Not sure of the number, probably at www.superpages.com. On my IS I had the back tinted 20% and the front ones with clear UV film so my interior doesnt rot due to the hot Sacramento summers. They won't tint the front since its illegal and they do all of Sac PD's police vehicles. Never once had a problem with them. Lifetime warranty on all the tints (except limo, which carries a 3 yr warranty). They dont give your car back with a bunch of little bubbles in the glass. Alot of places do that and say, "Oh...those bubbles will go away in a few days." Quality work, always.
Attached Thumbnails Window Tint recommendations in the SF Bay Area: All Threads Merged-p1010117.jpg  
Old 02-25-07, 04:47 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2OO4IS300
Rocky Mountain Window Tint has done an excellent job each time on my 04 Hummer H2, 98 Camaro, 04 IS300, and 92 Chevy full-size Blazer. They are on El Camino Ave at Hurley...Not sure of the number, probably at www.superpages.com. On my IS I had the back tinted 20% and the front ones with clear UV film so my interior doesnt rot due to the hot Sacramento summers. They won't tint the front since its illegal and they do all of Sac PD's police vehicles. Never once had a problem with them. Lifetime warranty on all the tints (except limo, which carries a 3 yr warranty). They dont give your car back with a bunch of little bubbles in the glass. Alot of places do that and say, "Oh...those bubbles will go away in a few days." Quality work, always.
I concur, we have a rocky mountain in livermore and ive had my tint for about 2 years with NO problems and a lifetime warranty

Quick Reply: Window Tint recommendations in the SF Bay Area: All Threads Merged