Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

Good clear bra place in Bay Area?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 05:37 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by UAL
Not to bad mouth Aerotect, but I had them do my 650i, which had alignment issues and delamination. Just had Premier replace the film with their custom wrap this past weekend. Well, guess what guys! When they took the film off, I found razor blade marks!!!!! I had them on the lower air valence that were too deep to be polished off. My car's black so the razor blade marks that Aerotect put on my car are white in color. I will be contacting them soon to discuss the remedy to this situation. It was bad enough that the kit they put on did not fit and align that well. When I had Premier pull the film off, what I thought was a wax line, in fact turned into a deep razor cut. I for one am not impressed with Aerotect's work at all. It was a precut kit and they had to cut the ***** on my car. I'm not a guy who complains too much and am usually pretty easy going, but this is ridiculous.

I've had Premier install their custom wrap on my GS several months back and it came out great. No delamination or bubbles. I went and bought myself a black GS soon after and didn't want to wait for Premier since Aerotect was highly recommended here. With my GS and 650i sitting next to each other, it is night and day between these two companies. I have seen the pre-form templates and do not like it due to the seams, so I went w/ their custom work. For those who have seen their custom work in person would agree. Out of curiosity chubbymike, did you get the preform kit or their custom work? I have now experienced the clearshield from three different companies (starshield, aerotect, and premier), and would have to give my nod of approval to Premier.

Grrrr...I'm still fuming from this weekend's revealing of the blade cuts from Aerotect. I'll post pictures of them when I get a chance to resize them tonight.
Sorry to hear your experience. Again, give AeroTect an opportunity to make it right. We like to be fair and give all vendors a chance to make something wrong into a right. This is what I suggest should be the first re-course of any customer. This way we know the end of the story before they post a complaint online. At this point your ordeal is not yet completed, so we don't know whether the outcome will be good or bad. Keep us posted.

You are pretty much dead on with the Premier comments of their workmanship. They use a blade too, but they don't cut the paint.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 08-02-06 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 11:24 AM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

AeroTect stands behind our work!!!
If there is ever a problem with an AeroTect installation, all you need to do is to bring your car in and let us make it right. We can't help you unless you make us aware of a problem. We're good, but we're not mindreaders. (866) 388-AERO
Old 08-02-06, 03:34 PM
RMMGS4

Originally Posted by AeroTect
AeroTect stands behind our work!!!
If there is ever a problem with an AeroTect installation, all you need to do is to bring your car in and let us make it right. We can't help you unless you make us aware of a problem. We're good, but we're not mindreaders. (866) 388-AERO

Thanks for responding guys.

Like I said PLEASE give all ClubLexus Sponsors an opportunity to resolve problem issues before lodging a complaint on the forums. If there is a problem with a CL vendor, we want to hear it, but we also want to make sure that the vendor has been given a fair chance to resolve it.

I can't tell you how many times I have looked into a complaint posted about a vendor, then after further investigation I find that there is a mis-understanding or we only heard the part of the story that the poster wanted us to hear. This is not to say that there aren't bad vendors.

As a general word of advice, any time a poster starts a thread that just says XXX sucks or XXX does lousy work, THAT IS NOT VALID. People with credibility will usually explain their problem in detail. Those with something to hide will not back up their statement with facts or even respond back to questions.

Thanks
Old 08-02-06, 05:51 PM
UAL
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are absolutely correct RMMGS4. There are always two sides to any story. I am expressing my views and also the reality that there is damage to my paint, which I am not aware of until several days ago. The shield that Aerotect placed on my car is approximately 2-3 months old. I am also glad to see that Aerotect responded. However, at this time, there doesn't seem to be any possible remedy to the situation as there are obvious razor marks on the hood and bumper. I just don't see why it was necessary to use razors on my car since it was a prefab kit. My only solution, which really isn't one, is to take it to a bodyshop and have them repaint, which is not something I would like to do since it would require them to remove my newly installed shield. From experience, trying to fix something that has gone horribly wrong can get worst. The time it will take to have it repainted and the possibility of the paint not matching and also the issue of repainting a part on such a new car is really not a solution for me at the moment. Below are some pictures I took of the alignment issue I was speaking of including the razor marks on the hood. My post regarding my experience with Aerotect is my expression of dissatisfaction with first the installation and second the damage placed on my new car. It is not to try to get Aerotect to reimburse me for a new paint job (which I am extremely fearful of) nor is it obtain a refund. I know that things happen, but something like this really shouldn't have. As said earlier, if I didn't have my shield replaced, the damage would not have been brough to light. It does make me wonder how many other cars out there are damaged like this. I am not trained to see these things as I'm sure most of us are not as well, so having this done can defeat the purpose of protecting the finish of our paint. Perhaps, it was a bad day for Aerotect, or maybe he has never worked on my car before, but in the end it was his decision to take a knife to my car.

I tried taking the picture of the bumper, but it doesn't show up well because it is right on the edge of my plastic grille that is casting a shadown on it.
Attached Thumbnails Good clear bra place in Bay Area?-5-6-06-023.jpg  
Old 08-02-06, 05:53 PM
UAL
Rookie

In here, you could see the gap. My camera is not the greatest, but you could see what I'm trying to capture.
Attached Thumbnails Good clear bra place in Bay Area?-5-6-06-024.jpg  
Old 08-02-06, 05:55 PM
UAL
Rookie

Notice how much closer it is on the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails Good clear bra place in Bay Area?-5-6-06-025.jpg  
Old 08-02-06, 05:58 PM
UAL
Rookie

Here are the more visible razor marks on the hood. I tried rubbing it out, but it is pretty deep.
Attached Thumbnails Good clear bra place in Bay Area?-img_2901.jpg  
Old 08-02-06, 06:09 PM
RMMGS4

UAL,
your comments have been reasonable and fair throughout. My general remarks are suggestions and not really pointing at your post, but all posts, past, present & future.

It is unfortunate that the situation of events for you has left you with less than ideal options.

In the interest of continuous improvement of service and quality by our vendors, it still is valuable information of which I'm sure AeroTech will want to remedy for all current and future customers.
Old 08-02-06, 06:22 PM
UAL
Rookie

As sour of a taste this has left for me because members and administrators recommended Aerotect, I will certainly continue to utilize Clublexus for its vast resource for information. I am usually a lurker here and do not post very much, but felt compelled to post my experience just to diversify experiences and comments. I do not have any ill-will toward Aerotect as I'm sure they will be more careful from here on.
Old 08-02-06, 08:53 PM
AeroTect
Former Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

UAL, We don't even know who you are. Is there a reason you haven't called us to complain?
We install 12-15 Lexus kits a week. If you had a problem with the work why didn't you bring it back.Our customers have no doubt that we go the extra mile. From the tone of your posts, it seems that you were not even satisfied on the first day the kit was installed.We stand behind our work and all of our customers know that we offer a 5 year warranty onthe film and the installation.All you had to do was bring it back.
Old 08-02-06, 09:32 PM
chubbymike
Driver

Originally Posted by UAL
Out of curiosity chubbymike, did you get the preform kit or their custom work?
sorry to hear about your car UAL. to answer your question, mine was a precut kit. I couldn't afford a cutom wrap nor did I think this car was worth custom wrapping. I love this car, but it's not a ferrari or carrera GT. so I went with the precut kit.

RMMGS4- yeah, I understand that there are areas that the contours are very difficult to cover. And in a way, that's what I'm talking about. When I read the reviews, people were raving about it. maybe part of it was that I didn't do enough research and it's my first car to get clear bra. but the reviews made it seem like they did awesome work. and i had very high expectations of them. i mean if people w/ ferraris and porsches are taking their cars to them, they must be good. I had no clue on whether severe contours affect the bonding of the film or stuff like that. people that had it done never complained about having anything delaminate or had to have anything trimmed off.
The part that I'm not too happy about is that I was only told that the car had sever contours thus making it very difficult for the film to stick AFTER the fact. I think if Sam had warned me about it when I picked up my car or even when I dropped it off, it would've been fine. Maybe he could have walk around the car w/ me and show me the possible problem areas to let me know before hand. And if it did happen, then no big deal, I just bring the car back. But being told of it AFTER it happend felt like they were just making excuses. Shouldn't they have forseen that and let us know? And what happend was that they tried fixing a certain area and then a few days later, it delaminated again. or I find a new bubble. so they ended up having to redo a few areas. and I mentioned that they trimmed the curved part below the grill but the other side was fine. so now 1 side is covered and the other side is trimmed off. In honesty, it's not a big deal, but as a car owner, you always want your car to be perfect. and part of it is to have both sides match.
maybe i'm being ****, but from my field of work, I'm trained to tell my customers all that could happen BEFORE we start to work on anything. we call it informed consent. I appreciate the fact that sam took care of it (even though he was dead tired from the grand opening celebration....) and ever since then I had no problems.
Now, I'm not trying to make a big deal out of this, but I just want to share my experiences and am being honest on how I felt about the customer service.
Again, I have no ill-feeling towards Premier either. I would still recommend them. but I just think that they could improve on the things that I mentioned earlier. They did take care of everything, and all it cost me was a few trips back to them. but i think he could have really made it up to me by letting me take one of the Carrera GTs for a spin while they work on my car so do take reviews with a grain of salt (just like any advice people give you).
Old 08-02-06, 10:23 PM
richbutler
Rookie

Wow! I'm glad I read through these posts. I was going to get a clear bra set up for my car. But I'm super picky about the fit and finish of my Lexus. I don't think I could accept mis-aligned pieces, cuts through my paint, delamination, bubbles, and mis-matched pieces. Theoretically, reputable vendors will stand behind their work and redo sections. However, like the prior posts, sometimes the only solution is to cut new pieces and/or repaint your car. Plus all these fixes are a hassle and will take time and energy on our part (the car owner) that we could spend on other things.

So the whole point of the clear bra is to save/preserve your paint. However, in the process of having your car wrapped in the clear bra, it may not look so great and the installation might cause more harm to your paint (ie. deep cuts). Also, the areas that are not covered will still be damaged.

Personally, I would rather enjoy detailing my car and enjoy the beauty of my ride without the clear bra protection. I know I will get rock chips over time. However, I carry a no deductable comprehensive policy, so when there are too many chips on my hood, headlight covers, windshield, and mirrors, I'm off to the body shop for a make over.

Again, I'm glad I was able to read about the potential hassles. For ME, the clear bra isn't worth it.

Thanks you all!
Old 08-04-06, 01:25 PM
Jon-Jon
Rookie

I've had great experiences with Aerotects work and their quality. I would have never considered getting a clear bra for any of my cars in the past, but now it would be one of the first "mods" to do. And part of the reason for that is because of Aerotects job on my 2IS. In fact, I recently had to remove the hood portion of the clear bra due to a huge rock denting the hood. The clear bra took most of the damage. It did its job and protected the paint, but unfortunately the hood was dented (it was a big rock). As I removed the hood portion of the bra, I thought for sure that the paint was scratched from the rock, but fortunately it wasn't. I also got a chance to see that there were no installation cuts or damage. So as soon as the dent was removed, I went right back to Aerotect to place a new film on the hood. If I wasn't greatly satisfied with the first installation, why would I go back to them. I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but their quality of work is top notch and customer relations is second to none. I personally can stand behind their service and installation. Just my .02.