Northern California Lexus Club We are the Northern California Lexus Owners' Club.
This forum is sponsored by Exact Motorsports

California front license plate law

Old 06-26-06, 02:12 AM
bomexlex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California front license plate law

Is it legal if i have my plate in my front window, or does it have to be mounted to the front bumper? Hate to drill holes you know.

thanks b0m
Old 06-26-06, 03:21 AM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe it is stated under one of the California Vehicle Codes that the front license plate must be "securely mounted to the front bumper." If you don't want to drill holes, there was a DIY of a L-bracket for the front plate. I've clicked on so many threads lately that I forgot what section it was under. I think the link was under DIY for 1998-2005 GS?
Old 06-26-06, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

yes it has to be on the bumper. on the dash by the front window technically that's not going to fly, so it depends on the cops

and yes i am the one who has the L bracket so the holes are at the bottom of the bumper
Old 06-26-06, 08:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=license+plate

here you go. it should work for 3gs and 2is as well. not for my sc430 and the upcoming ls460 though
Old 06-26-06, 02:56 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I would never suggest you do anything illegal, but please consider the next 2 facts:
1) The fine for no front plate in California is $25 (correctable violation) and is reduced to just under $20 if you choose to put the plate on and get it signed-off by an officer.*
2) The fine for just barely missing that yellow light (read: running a red) reaches $370 depanding on county, and is a moving violation carrying a 1 point count.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,
~Alan

* I am not sure what the penalty is for repeat offenders, but I'm sure it's under $50.

Note: I haven't had a front plate in 3 years. Not a single officer has mentioned it, and I've been pulled over at least half a dozen times in this time period.
Old 06-26-06, 08:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

lol, alan you are funny. i thought fixed tickets are only 10 bucks? no? they raised the price? last time my wife got it it was just 10 bucks after correction.

and i think if you get it again you just pay it again
Old 06-26-06, 10:46 PM
LDYNRED
Driver

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe
I would never suggest you do anything illegal, but please consider the next 2 facts:
1) The fine for no front plate in California is $25 (correctable violation) and is reduced to just under $20 if you choose to put the plate on and get it signed-off by an officer.*
2) The fine for just barely missing that yellow light (read: running a red) reaches $370 depanding on county, and is a moving violation carrying a 1 point count.

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,
~Alan

* I am not sure what the penalty is for repeat offenders, but I'm sure it's under $50.

Note: I haven't had a front plate in 3 years. Not a single officer has mentioned it, and I've been pulled over at least half a dozen times in this time period.
Spoken like a true professional! Nice to see someone has experience in these things
Old 06-26-06, 11:37 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by SPORTcoupe

Just thought I'd share.

Cheers,
~Alan

on the third offense, it becomes a point on your license.... things are gettin strict.... i got a ticket for no plate in my M3 a year ago... i got a notice in the mail that said its either 10 bucks plus get it signed off.. or pay like 185 bucks...... insane.
Old 06-27-06, 12:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
on the third offense, it becomes a point on your license.... things are gettin strict.... i got a ticket for no plate in my M3 a year ago... i got a notice in the mail that said its either 10 bucks plus get it signed off.. or pay like 185 bucks...... insane.
oh it culd be a point on your record now? that's so boring..... stupid...
Old 06-27-06, 12:49 AM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Yikes...I've only gotten pulled over for it once in the past 5 years (knock on wood) and it was $40/keep it as is or $20/put it back on. I opted for the $40 just because the cop was a total ***** and I didn't want to do what he said lol. I wonder though, how would they know that it is your third offense? From what I understand, fix-it tickets don't go on your record...
Old 06-27-06, 02:09 AM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not sure if it goes this way, but i do kno that all tickets go on ur "record" but not the record that reallie matters. i've gotten so many speeding tickets, i can't remember, and my mom had a friend in law enforcement that she talked to about it sometimes simply because of the way my car looks. anyways she was told that each infraction is put either under the car or drivers license and tho it doesn't appear on the dmv or insurance records, it's there under the cops record for reference.

for example, she told me that even tho i had a speeding ticket i had taken cared of thru traffic school, she said that it was actually still listed on my record but didnt' register a point or anything.
Old 06-27-06, 07:29 PM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

There are 2 records: DMV and court
DMV cares only about points and at-fault accidents.
The court record contains your FULL history since the day you turned 18 (no this does not mean that if you're under 18 you can do whatever the heck you want because your points still carry over).
Traffic school is just a filter between the court record and the DMV record. If you're eligible and you take it, the report never makes it to DMV, and you never get assigned a point.

on the third offense, it becomes a point on your license....
Thanks RTCamaroSS for that piece of information...had no idea. Will look it up when I get a chance.
On the other hand, a third time red-light run (purely accidental of course) will probably get you some Rodney King style punishment.

Cheers,
~Alan

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 06-27-06 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-27-06, 10:59 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

miss_IS300, what do you mean you only paid $40 to keep it as is? Do you get some special paper that states you've paid your $40 fine so you don't have ever have to put it on? I've heard something like that with front tinted windows also since any % in the front is illegal in CA? My cousin told me he got a ticket before for front tinted windows on his Nissan. He paid the fine but still has the front tint on there?

To be honest with you-- If you're car is not too flashy and it's not one of those typical modified imports, you probably won't get harassed. In the past 3 years, I've owned a Mustang and Cobra both with 35% tint in the front windows and both with no front plates. I never ever got pulled over once. I even used to pull up next to cops and debate whether or not to "roll down" the front windows. I live right next to the Milpitas police station also. I now have a 1998 GS4 w/ no front plate and also front tinted windows. It's a bit lighter than the Mustangs' tint so I'd say 40-45% tint? It came tinted when I purchased it so I'm not sure. The front plate will make ANY car look much uglier. And look at cars like Corvettes-- they don't have anywhere to mount them. Instead, they have like a sqaure plastic piece that says "Corvette."

*Disclaimer: I am not suggesting to do anything illegal to your car, just stating my testimonials and how lucky I've been.
Old 06-28-06, 12:13 AM
miss_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sleeper408
miss_IS300, what do you mean you only paid $40 to keep it as is? Do you get some special paper that states you've paid your $40 fine so you don't have ever have to put it on? I've heard something like that with front tinted windows also since any % in the front is illegal in CA? My cousin told me he got a ticket before for front tinted windows on his Nissan. He paid the fine but still has the front tint on there?

To be honest with you-- If you're car is not too flashy and it's not one of those typical modified imports, you probably won't get harassed. In the past 3 years, I've owned a Mustang and Cobra both with 35% tint in the front windows and both with no front plates. I never ever got pulled over once. I even used to pull up next to cops and debate whether or not to "roll down" the front windows. I live right next to the Milpitas police station also. I now have a 1998 GS4 w/ no front plate and also front tinted windows. It's a bit lighter than the Mustangs' tint so I'd say 40-45% tint? It came tinted when I purchased it so I'm not sure. The front plate will make ANY car look much uglier. And look at cars like Corvettes-- they don't have anywhere to mount them. Instead, they have like a sqaure plastic piece that says "Corvette."

*Disclaimer: I am not suggesting to do anything illegal to your car, just stating my testimonials and how lucky I've been.
I've gotten a ticket for no front plate and also for having tinted windows all around. When I got the ticket for the tint I had the option of paying $1XX to keep the tint or have it removed and pay like $20 I think. Since I had a friend who was a CHP officer he signed the ticket off because he didn't think that it was that dark. As for the front plate I got pulled over and like I said I had the option of paying $40 to keep the front plate free or putting it back on and paying only $20. I opted for the latter. It isn't like that permanently though, as soon as I get pulled over again I'll have to go through the whole ordeal again.

Like you said, if you're not in a flashy car AND driving like an idiot, they most likely won't mess with you. Only the female CHP officers and the ones who are total ****** are the ones who pull me over. Haters.
Old 06-28-06, 06:33 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive had three fix-it tickets over 3 years, one for no front plate, one for tint on the front windows, and one for late registration (that one was just issued this past March). All were a $10.00 fee once I got the tickets signed off by a policeman.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: California front license plate law