Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Bought a 90 LS! I'm a real winner...Crank seal repair help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 05:33 PM
ucf10x
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a 90 LS! I'm a real winner...Crank seal repair help

So I recently bought an 1990 LS400 for $200 bucks. I already love it and I have only driven it 15 feet.The motor and chassis has 350,000 miles and no rust. It has a problem however. The crank seal ( behind the timing belt) is shot. Is there anyone in ct that can help me tackle this? Every auto shop in my town will not give me a quote, nor will they work on my car. I saw the tutorial on lextreme and lexls..but is there anyone in ct that could give me a hand with this?

Last edited by RA40; 12-18-15 at 06:05 PM. Reason: descriptive title
Old 12-18-15, 05:42 PM
ucf10x
Driver School Candidate

I know nothing on this planet is free. :BUMP:
Old 12-18-15, 06:07 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 463 Likes on 361 Posts

Congrats on the LS.
Going to move this to the regional section for the CT peeps.
Old 12-18-15, 06:59 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

So why won't the shops give you a price or work on it?
Did you go in wearing a suit and carrying a brief case? Go it looking like a millionaire and I'm sure they will find room in the shop for that project. But be prepared to pay. And at those miles are you sure you want to pay close to 2000 to fix an engine that should come out and have a major overhaul? To me it is not worth even a DIY timing belt and reseal on a real high time engine, yeah it may have more life, but it really isn't worth it. It should be like I said overhaul or a transplant to something with lower miles on it. After spending time or dollars on it what is going to leak next? Very lucky you paid what you did for it, that gives you more parts or fix it money.
Old 12-19-15, 06:35 AM
AandSC
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Considering that the million mile Lexus is still going strong I would think his would be a good DIY project with some friends or help. A timing belt/water pump/seal replacement isn't much money and could give quite a few years of driving time with a nice car. How are the interior and exterior? If you lived near me I would help you.
Old 12-19-15, 12:23 PM
KJG92
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son pulled his car out and I noticed that his is leaking. Not bad but any oil on the ground is not good. The service history shows the belt and stuff was done 12k ago but they didn't do the seals. Floors me to think they were right there so why not do it. I'll be looking soon for someone to take care of ours. I'd help if I was closer.
Old 12-20-15, 02:38 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AandSC
Considering that the million mile Lexus is still going strong I would think his would be a good DIY project with some friends or help. A timing belt/water pump/seal replacement isn't much money and could give quite a few years of driving time with a nice car. How are the interior and exterior? If you lived near me I would help you.
And you have no idea what was done to it through out the years of its life. It could be on its 3 rd engine and 4 th transmission for all you know, and yes it could be all original too. Sorry you just can't bet on everything lasting that long. It simple logic, yeah you can do the fixes and yes it may last awhile. And you could go to Las Vegas, and lay down $5.00 and walk out with 5 Million.
You could fix the problem and the next day the engine could seize up, or rear seal blow out. I say since its at the point of borrowed time, why not lower the list of things that could happen, the cost of the car is low enough going the extra little bit is a big pay off in reliability. Every LS I have has something ready to go out, I don't dare use them much till the problems are fixed.
Old 12-20-15, 06:05 AM
JJDAG
Driver

Hey congrats on the LS and welcome to the club. I live in CT I have a friend that helps me work on my Ls when its something over my head he is a tech and does work on the side. Also there is a shop close to my home that does minor work on my LS and have told me they regularly work on a few older LS's. Where in CT do you live maybe you can have one of these guys check it out and see if its worth digging into. As others have said maybe just a lower mileage transplant may make better sense you can get a decent used engine for low cash. Sometimes freshening up seals ect when an engine is on a stand is much easier with a better outcome.
Old 12-21-15, 08:38 AM
ucf10x
Driver School Candidate

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and advice. My mind is made up. I'm going to find a lower mileage motor and swap it in..seems to be the logical way to go about it on my end.
Old 12-22-15, 11:10 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

And when doing the swap, fix any other little problems you see. With the engine out its a great time to get to things that are almost impossible to reach with it in the car. And no matter how low the miles are on a replacement engine, you should do the valve cover gaskets and starter before installing it. If the replacement has no record of a timing belt and water pump change use that as a bargaining chip to lower the price.
Don't buy an engine from a private person unless its still in the car and you see the odometer work, you won't have a warranty or know forsure the miles. With those miles I'd look for a packaged deal engine and transmission. If the body and paint on your car is real nice, its worth the extra cost and effort, but not if you plan to sell it. For a keeper and driver putting $ into it is nothing compared to a new car payment.
Old 12-23-15, 03:32 PM
weeters
Driver

where in ct are you located?
Old 01-08-16, 05:33 PM
Zodiac00
Driver School Candidate

Funny this guy called me last month to help with this repair but never called back.