Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Need Mechanic in MD/DC/VA

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-15, 05:01 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Need Mechanic in MD/DC/VA

Is there anyone who works for Toyota or Lexus dealership or a legit indie that can hook me up with a good price on changing transmission oil on my GX? Need someone with experience doing this since it is a pritty sensitive thing.

Also need to get the front and rear shocks replaced. I've already ordered the parts.

Plus an oil change.

I'll provide all the parts.

I live in Laurel, MD

Also - what's the difference between "Northeast" and "NELOC" forums? Does one cater more to specific northeast region than the other?
Old 06-23-15, 05:12 AM
WillK
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you want the fluid changed or (power) flushed?
How many miles do you have on your GX?

Either way, both procedures are pretty straight forward and any decent Toyota/Lexus place should be able to do it pretty easily. The flush should cost around $250-$280 range.
The rest of the things are pretty straight forward too, although the front shocks will have higher labor costs as they have to disassemble some of the front end and then you'll need an alignment as well.

I say call a dealer and ask. If it's not warranty work, then a Toyota dealer could do it just as well as Lexus.
Make sure they're using WS fluid and not something 'compatible'. Also ask if they use Toyota filters for all service. Once you find a dealer, check their website as most have coupons for discounts on service.
Old 06-23-15, 05:38 AM
Matsui
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I want it changed - like drain/fill/drive 3 times to get most of the old ATF out. I now have 120k miles.

Kind of frustrating to talk to dealers who don't try to understand your needs and do the standard thing like either a flush or a one time drain/fill - ask them to do this three times and the price goes up three times as well. Plus you have to convince them to do it because they argue that this car has the lifetime fluid. I agree that the procedure is VERY easy - just a little time consuming. But I don't think it is worth $500 or more that some Toyota dealers are asking.

I can get the shocks changed by an indie, but with transmission fluid change I'm hesitant and would rather go to the dealer instead.
Old 06-27-15, 03:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Just sent you a PM