Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

2001 GS300- NYC area - how much should a valve job cost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 10:53 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 GS300- NYC area - how much should a valve job cost?

I haven't been to a dealer yet but one shop I went to said about $3500. That makes me wonder about keeping the car. It has 120K and is otherwise in good shape. Adding $3500 to what I already paid for it may not be as cost effective as taking whatever I can get for it now (sell to a mechanic?), then spending another $2 or $3K on a different car. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 08-20-14, 02:10 PM
lowKut
NELOC Moderator

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

That is a lot bro. These car are really reliable despite your issue.

You should post your question here NELOC for local feedback.
Old 08-20-14, 02:35 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

Thanks lowKut, just posted over there.
Old 08-21-14, 03:30 AM
GSGenesis
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hang on what's the issue?
Old 08-21-14, 04:56 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

The issue is that I'm an idiot. I drove the car for a while down about 1.5 quarts. There is a very obvious clicking noise from the top of the engine. The mechanic had me stop & start the engine a few times, then said I needed a valve job. He said I should get it done soon because otherwise the engine will be toast and with that the car will be essentially worthless. I am driving it a little (just topped off with fresh Mobil 1 5W30 and a new filter of course) but will probably make up my mind about what to do this weekend. The car is not young, but as I said above is otherwise in good shape - no rust, a few minor body dings. My inclination is to spend the money to fix it but I am open to whatever thoughts & suggestions anyone here has. I like to get as much out of a car as possible. If I knew that after this valve job I'd have a car that might make 250-300K (with proper maintenance of course) then it's probably worth fixing. But maybe running with low oil could have consequences for the engine beyond the valves? Thanks for ANY insights!!

PS - no replies yet in the NELOC forum.
Old 08-22-14, 11:02 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Highly unlikely that driving that low on oil will damage the valves.

I would suggest that what you heard might just be a shim bucket or valve lifters.
The scope of the work for this repair would be a valve adjustment and replacement of bad lifters.

I highly suggest you go to a Lexus specific mechanic or reconfirm your mechanic's diagnosis.

Good luck...
Old 08-22-14, 11:33 AM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do u just need a valve ADJUSTMENT? It's $600 at Lexus, that's what I paid at 120k miles I had a tick from the start when I bought the car, Lexus said i needed a valve adjustment, when they tore the engine down (3-4 days) the previous owner some how damaged 2 lifters also, I got the lifters replaced, a gradually sheared off washer,valves adjusted, timing belt, new seals all done for $1666.50 at Lexus, pretty damn good price if u ask me... Tick is gone that was Imma say 2 years ago..
Old 08-22-14, 11:57 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Thanks very much for these replies. They've given me some hope that I won't have to spend as much money as I previously thought. The valves making noise is a recent problem. When I got the car two months ago the engine was purring like a kitten. I should've changed the oil when I got the car - I really don't know how old the oil was when I got it but the car was performing beautifully and the engine was very quiet.

This brings me to another question. If the problem is indeed just a bad lifter, am I still risking further damage by continuing to drive the car? Obviously I'm not gonna let this go too long, but maybe I don't have to park the car and rent one right away!

Last edited by reezekeys; 08-22-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 08-22-14, 12:13 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

It will eventually start to damage the engine I was told, but it could be next month, or next year, or in 2 years, your pretty much playing Russian roulette, take it to Lexus, if u get it done u might as well do the timing belt while their in there if u haven't done so already, if the belt was already done tell them DONT CHANGE IT, cause they will and not even tell u till u get the bill lol
Old 08-22-14, 12:37 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

The belt was done somewhere around 90K I believe (there's a sticker on the housing with that info). So I probably don't need one (I'm at 120K now), but how much would a new belt add to the total? To do any kind of valve repair would involve getting the belt exposed & accessible wouldn't it? Maybe they'd even need to take the belt off to do the valve repair, so putting a new one on should just add the cost of the part. I'm probably dreaming of course!
Old 08-22-14, 02:12 PM
DosyBoy
Lexus Champion

A new belt with labor will add another $600 u don't need it though... Another 30-40k miles
Old 08-22-14, 02:31 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

You bet I'm keeping the current belt!! Thanks for the heads up on that.
Old 08-24-14, 09:17 AM
reezekeys
Rookie

Turns out I was a little off on the timing belt - it was done at 68K. Now I'm at 120K. Maybe I should get it done?

A friend of mine with a little more experience with auto repairs listened and said the noise didn't sound loud enough or have a characteristic "tap-tap" sound like a bad lifter. Hoping it's a water pump or something on the pulleys, and not something inside the engine! I'll be going to a dealer tomorrow.
Old 08-25-14, 04:50 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just drive the car. U are worried about nothing.
Old 08-26-14, 04:07 PM
reezekeys
Rookie

I wish it was nothing! I'm probably mistaken about the damage being due to me not looking at the oil level. There is definitely "something" going on, I started a new thread here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ine-noise.html