Northeast For events in Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and West Virginia

Rebuild or Swap (NYC or close by)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-11, 01:23 PM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuild or Swap (NYC or close by)

Hi all,

I am new to the forum. I was referred here from the RX Second Gen forum. I have an 04 RX 330. My wife was driving it and it was overheating it and unfortunately she didn't notice until it blew the motor. I am faced with a dilemma, do I rebuild it or do I swap it with another motor? I don't have the knowledge to do this myself, and not even going to pretend like I do. I saw some engines on eBay, but not sure if I should get one there or if there or somewhere else. I am looking to basically get this car running again.

Could you guys help me with the decision? I got a quote for $2500 to rebuild it by a friend of my brother, but I know you guys here would probably give me much better advice. I also got a quote from a bargain place in jersey that would do a swap for a couple hundred more, but I think I could get them down to about the same amount. The shop does look a bit sketchy, so I'm not sure. What do you guys think I should do?

Could someone recommend a person or shop that could take care of this?

Thanks so much for your time.
Old 06-30-11, 02:50 AM
tenspeed
Lead Lap

It depends on how much damage your blown motor has. If it's just a blown head gasket, they remove the heads and mill them flat.

If there is piston & cylinder damage, I would swap in another motor.
Old 07-04-11, 07:29 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

is it awd or fwd, i can get it done with an awd motor with 51k miles for 2500.
Old 07-22-11, 09:23 PM
goohead
Driver School Candidate

thats a good price for motor/install, i know places that would charge 2x that. if that comes w a 6/12 month warranty you should be all over that

i would do the following if i was you:

get warranty detail/exclusion in writing

have the shop guarantee a compression test after the install was done (very important if your just installing a used motor) and get a guarantee the motor compression will be within manufacture specs: they generally range from 160-190 psi depending on the motor, as long as they are within 10-15% range of each other around that range your good. if not then make them replace it with a good condition motor. get that in writing.

also would be a good idea to have them agree to let you be present for the compression test and read the # off the compression gauge itself instead of taking their word for it, i would ask for that in writing too.

if you cant the compression then you can do a cold leakdown test before they even install the motor, use 100psi and even cold should not be more than 10% air lost. out of throttle body means intake valve, out of exhaust means exhaust valve, out of oil fill tube means rings, a little leak is normal but high % means worn engine. these values should be within 10% of each other as well.

flush all the coolant passages prob at least 1-3 times, it has been sitting on a shelf somewhere for a while. i would just run distilled water first 1-2 fills and drain it out with the flush before i even start to drive it.

fill w/ rotella straight 30w desiel oil, even if your not breaking anything in, after sitting for a while its good to use a oil w/ higher zinc and phosphate content to minize wear. i would do the first 1-3 oil changes quick few hundred miles after install, just to flush out w/e was in there.

prob a good idea to get the timing/waterpump/oil seals on the engine while its out if you can get a good price on it, since its alot cheaper than doing it w engine installed

gl man hope this helps
Old 07-26-11, 08:19 AM
Qualified
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for all the advice. i have decided to not do anything with the car at the moment, but i will take all this into consideration when I do. i expect to be getting the job done within a month (i hope) but I just want to make sure that take care of some more pressing matters first. If anyone else knows, how long can i have the car just sitting like that? Would it make anything else get messed up? I don't want one headache to turn into a few.