North Texas Lexus Club Club Lexus members from TX!

Sewell Lexus of Ft Worth Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-11, 10:47 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down Sewell Lexus of Ft Worth Service

I don't know if this is the proper place for it, but I wanted to review my recent interactions with the service department of Sewell Lexus of Ft Worth.

I purchased the car with some cosmetic blemishes (ding in roof, scratches in passenger drip rail on roof, star in windshield, I noticed the star/scratches when I brought the car home for the first time) and I asked for the dealership to take care of them before I took final possession of the car. They handled the roof dent (it was about the size of a pea in diameter and depth), but it took two returns to the dealer for them to fix the star in the windshield, and they have yet to fix the scratches in the drip rail. They state that their body/paint guy fixed them to the best of his ability (when honestly, they look exactly as I had found them), and fixing it further would result in the necessity of repainting the entire hood....

On either return of the car to them, did they bother to call / email me when the car was ready to be picked up? No. Took 5 days before they realized that the car was still sitting there. Did they wash my car before returning it? No. Did my tank avg mile / gal decrease several points (from my avg 34 to a 28) while the car was in their possession? Yes.

Honestly, I could fix the scratches with a paint pen, and I don't know why their body/paint guy is inept to the point where that's out of his realm of expertise.

I don't know if I'm out of line posting this here, but I just wanted to give my feedback on this issue.

Last edited by APynckel; 09-26-11 at 11:15 AM.
Old 09-26-11, 11:05 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

I've never been to the FW location, only Dallas. Good to know.
Old 09-26-11, 11:14 AM
APynckel
Pole Position

The services manager, Tim, is an awesome guy. I always enjoy going in to talk to him. But the subservient service guy who's handling my car (whom I will not be dealing with anymore) is full of fail.

Story behind Tim and me becoming friends: My mom's LX470 (out of warranty) was having severe hesistation issues. Whenever I get RPM drops like this, it's normally ignition related. I was told by the diagnostic tech at Sewell Ft Worth that the Throttlebody needed replacing, which would cost $1000 for the part, and another $500 for the install. I bawked at this, asked them if they were 100% sure, and if I bought the part and installed it, if it didn't fix the issue, if they would let me return it, which I got a "yes" to. So I did, it didn't fix it, and they wouldn't return it, because it was no longer a "new" part.

Needless to say, this got me ROYALLY pissed, and the services manager had to step in and give us free diags and services to finally track down the bad coil (go figure, it was ignition related after all) and replace it, we still had to pay for the part.

So yea, there's been some bad blood between myself and the service techs at Sewell for a couple years now, but ft worth is the closest stealership to me to perform work on our vehicles.
Old 09-26-11, 04:38 PM
cv129
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you post this on Yelp? That'll be the first place I post this.

Sry to hear all the frustration you had to go through. This kind of things are what make me so paranoid about taking my car to any mechanic nowadays. I don't mind a heavier price tag as long as I am getting honest diagnosis and work done on my car, but half *** diagnosis with hasty promises really **** me off.

Did the tech give you a formal parts and services estimates on the GX470 case?

Lesson learned for all of us: if a tech says "oh you can return the part if this doesn't work", have him clear with manager then have the manager email a confirmation. Let's see them put the money where their mouths are.

Better luck next time APynckel

Last edited by cv129; 09-26-11 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 01:56 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, the last time I was there to p/u parts, cause I HAVE a parts acct there. I usually (if I have time) get my car washed. Well, car's ready & I go to leave & the little boy working the service bay. Tells me that they will no longer be able to wash my car. Im like what, why? He say cause you have never had you car serviced here before. I told him to go get his boss. Im pretty sure that it was Tim the Service Manage. I asked him what the problem was. He said, well you didnt buy your car here nor have you had it serviced here, so we will not be able to wash you car for free anymore. I said Park Place told me that as long a I considered myself a customer of their's then they considered me a customer too, & they wash my car for free all the time. I said Tim Im very offended the I have a acct with YOUR parts department & Ive spent more than $5000 in the last year with them, & you dont consider me a customer, like I some type of freeloader. I said I got the receipt to my F-Sport wheels in my wallet right now, do you want to see it!!! No Sir Mr Millet, I sorry, I didnt realize that was the case. He then began to tell me how they are trying to weed out the freeloaders, & that the little boy didnt know the cercumstance. He said you come have your car washed anytime & if anyone give you a hard time, tell them I said it was OK. I shook his and & said thank you for making the right decesion.

Last edited by spdrcr771; 09-29-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 02:29 PM
APynckel
Pole Position

Tim is a very straight forward straight shooter. His underlings are little weasels though.
Old 10-28-11, 08:13 AM
VPIS350
Driver

It all comes down to which service advisor u get. There are the awful ones then there are the awesome ones. If u ever go to park place grapevine ask for Duane Campos. He truely helps u out.