NON-Lexus vehicles for sale This sub-forum is where all vehicles that are not made by Lexus should be posted. Members only, NO DEALERS ALLOWED.

FL 1970 MGB, restored in 2010

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 11:13 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
Thumbs up 1970 MGB, restored in 2010

After considerable thought, I have decided to sell my car to buy another one which I previously owned and is now offered for sale by the current owner (MR2 Spyder). My wife and I had our first date in it seven years ago and I've kicked myself since selling it a few years ago.

I bought this MGB in 2010 after a motorcycle accident (which was relatively minor as far as bike accidents go) and I decided to stop riding. I thought about a recreational vehicle and brought up a memory of driving a friend's MGB when I was a kid. So, I found a mechanically-sound car in Virginia and brought it to Florida on the AutoTrain. Once I got it home, I stripped it of everything, except for the drivetrain, and had it painted by a local independent shop with a great reputation.

Over the following seven months, I replaced everything that was broken, worn out, or rusted. I laid fiberglass and POR-15 on the floors for rust protection, and then reflective sheets for heat/sound abatement before I replaced the carpet. I also painted the seat metal before new pads and vinyl. I had a friend who is an expert in auto electrics rewire the car by taking the load off the instruments and adding fuse blocks and relays - everything works. A couple of instrument bulbs are burned out and easily replaced (I guess I should do that, huh?). The front chrome bumper was replaced, the rear split rechromed as you cannot find these anywhere as 1970 is the only year of the rear split bumper configuration. The top was replaced, but has since developed a three-inch tear on the side. I have plenty of invoices and receipts to document this restoration.

Modifications: electronic ignition, 3-point safety belts, oil cooler, auxiliary radiator fan, Moto-Lita wood/aluminum steering wheel

Options: full MGB tonneau cover, aftermarket cockpit cover

Engine: average wear, not an oil burner or white smoker on startup. Pressure is 30-45 psi at warm idle and 4th gear drive. Tranny is good shifting, no overdrive. Mileage on the ODO is about 44k, but I am not the original owner and it may not be accurate, but the ODO works.

Doglegs: there was damage on each side of the doglegs when I bought it, but I both painted and sprayed POR-15 down the cavity of both sides, and there has been no noticeable degradation from 2010. You should have 8-10 years before seriously considering replacement.

Located in Central Florida

$6,400

Here are some more pics: http://www.mgexp.com/registry/1970MGB12345

Thanks for your consideration...

Last edited by Daspyda; 10-11-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10-11-17, 06:28 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Here're some more pics...
Old 12-05-17, 02:23 PM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Sold today