NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

1jz swap help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-16, 04:28 PM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz swap help

Hey guys I've done a bunch of searches and the stuff is really old or not really specific for what I wanted to know. I live in northern NJ and write for a small automotive enthusiast website. After talking to a friend of mine we have decided to swap a 1jzgte vvti into an is300. Unfortunately he has too Manny projects of his own to help me out. Anyway, I've found a motor and the basic parts I'll need. Ie fmic, cat and emu with wiring. What I don't have is the garage access to do the swap myself. What I'm looking for is a shop that can do the work for me at a reasonable price. Or, and this is a huge ask I know, someone who's done this before to help me out.

Can anyone help point me in the correct direction?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-23-16, 07:24 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the group. What part of North Jersey are you from? depending on your location i could probably suggest a few places. Also what transmission are you going to be using. Hopefully your not auto because it will be hard to control the stock auto trans. im in the process of swapping a 1j non vvti in my sc. my build thread is in my sig.
Old 02-23-16, 07:44 PM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
Welcome to the group. What part of North Jersey are you from? depending on your location i could probably suggest a few places. Also what transmission are you going to be using. Hopefully your not auto because it will be hard to control the stock auto trans. im in the process of swapping a 1j non vvti in my sc. my build thread is in my sig.
I'm in Long Valley (Morris County). I have the w55 on it now. I want to eventually put a stronger box in. R154 or ar5. I'm going back and forth on when I want to do that part. I know all at once is ideal. But this is a build for our website too. So timing of things could be different than usual. Anyway thanks for your reply. Appreciate it.
Old 02-23-16, 08:10 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Oh ok. not to familiar with that area up there. Im sure some of the northern folks will chime in to point you in the right direction as far as places to install. There also other transmissions you can use besides those like the CD0009 or even the R155 trans. or for the time being upgrade your 55 to a 58, How much power are you trying to make.
Old 02-23-16, 08:50 PM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Were about halfway between NYC and the pa border on rt 80. As far As power is concerned I'm ok with 280ish at the wheels for now. Which I know is right at the top of what the w55 can handle. I'd eventually like to get 400. Which is what lead me to those transmission choices. I've read that youre pushing the w58 at that level.
Old 02-24-16, 08:22 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Maybe try hitting up R/T tuning in Pa,Import Intelligence in Pa or maybe Empire Performance( formerly known as M&S Performance) In NY. if your only trying to make around 280ish how come you dont just do a Na-T set up?
Old 02-24-16, 09:09 AM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely check those places out. There are 2 main reasons I don't want to go na-t. 1 my motor is pushing 170k in miles. I know the 2jz is stout but I really don't like the idea of adding boost with that kind of milage. 2, simply put I want a 1jz gte vvti. I like the motor and it fits what I want. The 280 whp number is only until I swap out the w55. Ideally id like her to be putting 450ish to the flywheel when it's done.
Old 02-24-16, 10:25 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

I hear you. I cant wait to finish my 1j swap. Good luck with your swap. if you decide to do it yourself let me know ill swing by and give you a hand if you find a garage or something.
Old 02-24-16, 10:28 AM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
I hear you. I cant wait to finish my 1j swap. Good luck with your swap. if you decide to do it yourself let me know ill swing by and give you a hand if you find a garage or something.
Thanks man. Good luck with yours.
Old 02-24-16, 10:30 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

I just thought about it.. my boy lives in plainfield.. that might be close to you. He has his own shop and does swaps all day. Real clean swaps at that. Look him up Gonzy Tuning. He might be able to do the swap for you as well. Hes going to help me with my swap..
Old 02-24-16, 03:13 PM
Chennedy1
Driver School Candidate

Awesome man. Plainfield isn't that far from me at all. Thanks for the help. I'll definitely be reaching out to them.
Old 02-24-16, 06:16 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

If you reach out to my boy Gonzy tell him TJ sent you.