NELOC Home of the North East Lexus Owners Club

Carlisle Monstrosity

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-10, 06:50 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carlisle Monstrosity

I am creating this thread to make a spot for all to respond to the negativity that we all experienced this weekend and to not take away from the good times and pictures that we have in the aftermath thread.

In dealing with the staff at Carlisle for the past five or six months to organize our portion of the show the following is what we were supposed to get and what actually happened.

First we did have a total of 14 to 20 spots in the indoor portion of the show where Smitty was parked. In addition we were supposed to have the majority of the pavilion space minus the area where the graffiti art cars were. Second, we were supposed to be able to all do the roll in including the indoor cars. With the indoor portion of the show we were supposed to have rolled in by 9AM as the original information thread states. The indoor cars originally had to stay only for the duration of Saturday and Sunday was not something that we had to participate in because we always have people that go and come in the same day. As for the cars that were under the pavilion the section we did not have was supposed to be modified BMWs, Mercedes, Jaguars, and others of the type; not VIP but nice luxury cars that were tastefully done. Since we did have a few cars that were signed up to be judged and were set to be parked indoors I called about two weeks ago to find out how they were going to be doing the judging for these cars. In speaking with the staff I was informed that we no longer had any indoor spots. The reasoning behind this was that we had the roll in scheduled for 9AM and we could not stay for both days. Upon arriving at the show on Friday we saw the graffitti dispaly for the first time. After talking to several people I found out what happened. Our spots were given to another group originally because they paid for the spots, something that we will not do. This group eventually pulled out as well. Since he had already renigged on us and the other group bailed out they called local dealers to bring out stock cars like the Mercedes etc. We then found out exactly what the graffiti display was all about.

Needless to say I am furious about how this weekend turned out. I whole-heartedly apologize for the way we were treated. We have been to many events as a group small or large and we have never been treated this way.

In addition to the problems with how we were treated there are way more problems with the Carlisle show. Here is a list of a few of them

1. The show is too long - Friday should be set up and the complete show should be on Saturday including awards.

2. The venue is too large for amount of cars that actually showed up. They need to condense the size of the show.

3. I know that they are not going to be able to do only a VIP show but they do need to eliminate all the primered civics, cavaliers, and things of the kind.

4. They used to have the cars parked into classes instead of all ***** nilly like. Having the cars parked in classes and together will make the show more organized and you will be able to look at similar cars and compare them to each other.

5. The judges also have no idea what they are looking at. They only car about quantity of mods rather than quality of the work and parts. For example, the guy that judged my car actually asked me about modding his own IS he has. That is something that really upset me.

6. In addition to all the stuff listed above there were too many things there that were gimicks that should not be at a car show - graffiti display.

7. You can bring your car to the show and not be part of the actual show - this brings cars that we don't want to see.

As far as switching to a different show for next year, that decision was already made, I determined that pretty much when I found out about the graffiti display.

I was thinking of two shows to replace this one.

1. OC Car Show - Ocean City Maryland
The promoter already wants to work with us. This is a nice place to hangout. There are indoor and outdoor sections. If you want to leave the show you can leave your car and use public transportation to go to restaurants and hotels.

2. Sumospeed Show - This will obviously be determined after this weeks show and how willing they are to try to accomidate us and our cars.

I again apologize for the way this turned out.
Old 05-10-10, 06:58 AM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks bro for all your help and atleast making this a succesfull show for the NELOC.
Old 05-10-10, 06:59 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ryan, it has nothing to do with it being your fault.. if anything, that show moved in a different direction than we are headed.. although i missed out (my bad car will be done this week), I think the OC car show sounds like a great idea! PA was nice since it serves as the midway point for nyc and dmv... i do plan on hitting up ocean city this year hopefully so we can gauge how it will be and how the turnout is.. other than that, major props to you and whoever else that were involved for taking on the coordinating efforts.
Old 05-10-10, 07:31 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by beez43
ryan, it has nothing to do with it being your fault.. if anything, that show moved in a different direction than we are headed.. although i missed out (my bad car will be done this week), I think the OC car show sounds like a great idea! PA was nice since it serves as the midway point for nyc and dmv... i do plan on hitting up ocean city this year hopefully so we can gauge how it will be and how the turnout is.. other than that, major props to you and whoever else that were involved for taking on the coordinating efforts.

Agreed.....….there was no fault on you….

After Rich left, the show really went down....further than it was before.

No matter how they label it, this show will forever attract crap. I'm so over seeing Cavalier after Cavalier. I think Pat tried to pick up the ball, but he has no idea how to run this type of show. I don’t think I will ever attend a Carlisle show again…it’s turned out to be a huge “under construction” show. Pep Boys would be proud….

Let’s see what we can do at OC since I know the owners and combined with Ryan, we could come up with something. I will have a vendor spot, but outside since we need our cars for transportation and don’t want to leave the cars inside the entire weekend.

Ryan, we should talk this week.
Old 05-10-10, 07:33 AM
Sash
Lead Lap

Though I wasn't at the show and have been a little inactive lately - it's great to see the NELOC family still pulling through and putting together shows. Carlisle may have turned out not as expected, but the fact that people came through shows that NELOC is growing and still strong.

Ryan, thanks for all the work that was put in.
Old 05-10-10, 07:48 AM
Ultra Vip
Lexus Test Driver

Ryan thanks for all you did for organizing carlisle. You did what you could but it all comes down to the organizers of the event.

As for our venue next year I'm up for either oc or sumospeed. I'll make arrangements for us to sit down with sumospeed to discuss the possiblity of their shows being our yearly big meet. Hit me an let me know when your gonna be down Friday. I have to work till 630 that day so I'll have to make arrangement for you to get in my house. Lol
Old 05-10-10, 08:16 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything said here is true..................Either way Ryan you did what you could and I still had a good time.
Old 05-10-10, 09:36 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry I missed it, just had too much going on this past weekend.

As for Carlisle, it's just time to move on.

We don't need other cars or another show to have an absolute blast, just coming together and hanging out with each other is most the fun. We had more fun when we just met in Harrisburg as NELOC...caravaning, eating, socializing, picture-taking, swapping-stories, Craig in the hills filming us driving past, and then going out that night.

For NELOC, all we need is us, and it will be a memorable weekend for sure.

Next year, either back to Harrisburg for our own NELOC event, or maybe Atlantic City. No other event necessary. OC or VA Beach could be fine too, but we typically are trying to keep it centered in the mid-atlantic....between NYC and MD. Hec, we can just rent out a park and have a BBQ in AC, then plan plenty of caravan time for rolling shots. As good as our cars look sitting still, they looks 5 times better rolling together in groups down a country road or highway. Believe dat...

Now THIS was a lot of fun, way back in 2006: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nel...video-etc.html

We can always still go as a group to "Car Shows" like in Ocean City, Va. Beach and Atlantic City, but when NELOC has a multi-region get-together, we should just make it a car meet centered around us. A great example of this would be Smitty's BBQ.

MANY PROPS to RYAN/BERNIEIS for all the effort for this year's Carlisle show. Mad love for the effort. And I bet since you guys were all together, you still had a good time.

Missed you guys though. I'm seriously considering VA BEACH this coming weekend, if can swing it.

Trukn1, you down for a road trip to VA BEACH this weekend? Holla!
Old 05-10-10, 10:49 AM
ebb100z
Lead Lap

Ryan, You did an awesome job! Being able to coordinate and having us all together there made this a success! We were able to spend a day with our fellow NELOC/CL folks! That was AWESOME! No words can say more to what you have done for this and the time you put into getting us involved. A lot of us got our cars done sooner because of it. That alone makes this meet and other meets like this a success. There is nothing you could have done to make the venue any better. We just have to start going to other venues/events/shows that will treat us better.

REMEMBER We are NELOC!
Old 05-10-10, 11:00 AM
camelflage
Pole Position

just saw that carlisle has classes now for "Cavalier / Sunfire MILD" and "Cavalier / Sunfire WILD"...

that settles it for me.. lol
Old 05-10-10, 11:40 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by camelflage
just saw that carlisle has classes now for "Cavalier / Sunfire MILD" and "Cavalier / Sunfire WILD"...

that settles it for me.. lol

What happen to "Cavalier / Sunfire MILD w/primer"
Old 05-10-10, 11:47 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMark
What happen to "Cavalier / Sunfire MILD w/primer"
Ha Ha, I was actually debating going to this next year since I've never been but seems I'm better off staying home.
Old 05-10-10, 11:47 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I couldn't agree more that the folks at the Carlisle event treated us like poop!

The cool/VERY breezy weather is no one's fault...but the way NELOC was treated is just simply unacceptable.

We're not asking for money...or advertising space...or resources they don't have to offer...we just expect to be treated with respect.

Respect that, considering we've rolled in deeper than ANY other car club...FOUR years in a row...has been EARNED.

Parking our nice cars in the same pavilion (even with the half-azzed attempt to segregate with the tarps) as junk cars being spray-painted...that's simply a slap in the face...no way to argue it any other way.

I enthusiastically cast my vote in doing "something else" next year for the big "NELOC Event of the Year".

I can't speak for other car shows (haven't attended them) but, we've got a big bat to swing with our "Best Club Participation" award four years running. We should use that...let the promoters know that, if we put our weight behind an event, we WILL make a helluva showing!
Old 05-10-10, 12:01 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I was there a few years ago.
This is what did it in for me way back then..

The crazy long drive out into redneck land.
Driving super slow through the small hicktown.
Hicktown overrun with hondas and police.
Huge car show field of grass and dirt/dust. (car show with dirt/dust..wtf?)
Every girl had beer belly, missing teeth, stretch marks, or saggy mom *****
Old 05-10-10, 01:23 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll
I was there a few years ago.
This is what did it in for me way back then..

The crazy long drive out into redneck land.
Driving super slow through the small hicktown.
Hicktown overrun with hondas and police.
Huge car show field of grass and dirt/dust. (car show with dirt/dust..wtf?)
Every girl had beer belly, missing teeth, stretch marks, or saggy mom *****
i lived about 15-20 mins away from that venue for a year back in high school and although i only lived there for a year your description seems to fit in pretty well with my memories.

hicktown, hondas, police, douche bags (you forgot that one), and girls with beer belly's. yup that pretty much coincides with my memories all right.

Quick Reply: Carlisle Monstrosity