ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Maintenance (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance-11/)
-   -   LS460 Steering (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/maintenance/864930-ls460-steering.html)

johnnyg66 08-11-17 10:55 AM

LS460 Steering

Okay, I am going to put this on here incase some can offer any help. 2007 LS for the past week the steering locks up when you start the car sometimes its is fine. I get code C1555 when it locks up. I can trick it if i rock the steering wheel back and forth as i start it up.

What i see on searching is replace the EPS control unit or basically the ECU for steering. Looks like one has to calibrate it when replacing it. I found a salvage one i am guessing have to still calibrate it too. Would have to take to shop for that part.

My shop today said i needed to replace the EPS and whole rack. Total 4100.00

I think the EPS is all needing done based on what i have looked up.

So anyone on this board have in insite??

Thx.

fivesevenn 08-11-17 06:21 PM

depends, check the rack for torn steering rack boots first. if it is, then dirt is getting into the gears and may cause to malfunction.
no holes/torn/rips then its ECU usually.

C1555
  • Wire harness
  • Power steering motor (built into power steering gear assembly)
  • Power steering ECU

johnnyg66 08-11-17 07:38 PM

OK, I will need to inspect those the shop didnt say anything about finding that.

johnnyg66 08-12-17 04:57 PM

Checked over the rack found no outside damage. Boots are all intact. I am hoping the EPS is flaking out. I bought a used one see how that goes next week.

Richardjii 06-09-18 02:09 PM

What happend I’m having this issue Lexus told me to replace accusatory lock multiplex computer and steering column assembly. $4000 bought used and said it won’t work with used parts.

evanob 10-09-18 05:33 AM

Did you figure out resolution of your electronic steering issue? Mine went out after driving through water. If I wiggle wheel when starting, no problems. If I don't, I have no power steering. Don't want to do a lot of unnecessary stuff, if fix is simply a bad wire connector.

GysonsLex 11-12-18 08:50 AM

Hi did you ever find out what was wrong with the power steering issues.

evanob 11-19-18 04:57 PM

I took car to an electric shop. They pulled codes for "rack and pinion wire harness" and the "Power Steering Electronic Control Module (ECM)". He couldn't say if it was one or other or both, so he recommended shanging both. THe lexus prices were truly obscene, so I purchased parts off ebay. First, the wire harness for $75 and after replacement, the power.steering worked great for one week, but then the same thing started happening, but very intermittently. I can still overcome with wheel wiggle maneuver while starting. I decided to buy the ECM for 150 on ebay, But now it hardly ever happens, so I have the used ECM in my trunk waiting for the PS to fail more consistently. I think there is a worn connection that the harness connects to and therefore have intermittent connection failure. Don't let Lexus charge you $4000 for some repair you don't need. The power steering works fine, it just needs the electricity to work. Good luck.

evanob 01-31-19 02:31 PM

The failed electric steering light started coming on consistently. Decided to let Lexus diagnose. They simply pulled the same code as electric shop and said in was one of 3 things: wire harness, ECM, or rack/motor. They said based on my history, they believe it is the rack and not the ECM. When I tried to take the car it was 17 degrees F and the steering wheel wiggle trick was not working (sabotage?). Now I had to get dealer to fix because the car is undriveable without PS. So, I purchased a salvage rack for $275 (Lexus rack costs $2800 at my dealer). All 3 electrical connectors looked clean on the salvage part and boots were intact. The dealer will install salvage rack and realign the car for $680 without any warranty on even the labor since it is a salvage part. I am also concerned that my lack of original plastic engine covers under the car was the reason the rack saw water and shorted in the first place. Need two covers 51440-50040 and 51219-50020. Best price at discountpartsmonster $247 and $185. Plan to sell car to a friend after steering fixed. He can put on the covers. Otherwise car runs great with 184k.

mmahchi 01-09-21 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by fivesevenn (Post 9952146)
depends, check the rack for torn steering rack boots first. if it is, then dirt is getting into the gears and may cause to malfunction.
no holes/torn/rips then its ECU usually.

C1555
  • Wire harness
  • Power steering motor (built into power steering gear assembly)
  • Power steering ECU

hello, changed steering rack and after 3 months it is not working anymore. How do you calibrate it. And is it possible to take the power steering motor and rack apart to see what is wrong with it? Thanks,

Michael.