Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

CV Axle IS250

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 06:48 PM
jkrose221
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Axle IS250

Hey guys, so I have a 2007 IS 250 all wheel drive and I was getting a "whoosh whoosh" sound out of front left wheel that speeds up and slows down as speed increases/ decreases. I took it to a couple local shops that I trust and couldn't find anything other than tire wear from my alignment being off, so I changed the tires. The sound didn't go away, its not a overly loud sound you have to have window down radio off etc.. to hear it and also when in reverse it makes a bad rubbing noise neither of these sounds occur all the time. So I take it back to one of the shops for a follow up inspection as I thought it may be dust dirt in the brakes (all brakes have plenty of wear left) they said all brakes look fine. They did tell me that I have a leak in the cv boot (i think the inner one) and that its not that bad, but they said that I need to replace the cv axle? Why would I need to replace the entire axle as opposed to just the boot? it will need replacing at some point and that they didn't know if thats what would be causing the sound or not. They can't find anything else wrong, with the extremely high cost of the OEM I'm going to have to go with aftermarket no matter what really. What are your opinions of the after market cv axles if I do have to replace the entire thing? Thoughts on brands etc.. Sorry for so many different questions. Hopefully someone can help
Old 07-22-16, 08:35 AM
jkrose221
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, just a bump- any insight would be great!
Old 08-26-16, 08:08 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The only aftermarket brand I really trust is R Axles. http://www.raxles.com/
I
have found defective rebuilds from other companies that regrind and recycle key parts.
I doubt your noise is from the inner CV. However, another shop may be able to regrease it and replace the boot clamp. The reason they want to replace the axle is that it has to be removed to get at the boot for replacement and the labor is such you may as well replace it.
This link explains how to use CV noises for diagnosis http://www.raxles.com/axleparts.aspx