Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

rate your dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 07:00 PM
oac3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate your dealership Service Dept

Today I took my LS to my local delership for fixing of a passenger side mirror. The service guy offered me a Toyota Corolla as loaner car ! To say I was surprised is putting it mildly. I asked if he was joking, he said No. I told him "Heck NO !" I bring you an LS and you give me a Corolla ? This is not a Toyota dealership afterall !" They guy pouted and sulked for awhile, and then "miraculously" produced the key to an '02 ES 300.

Being a new Lexus owner, I'd like to ask other owners if it is typical to be given Toyotas as loaner cars ? And has anyone being offered a Corolla as loaner ? Did I add that they promised to call by 5pm but never did ? Now my car will be sitting at their shop overnight just so that they can "inspect and advice" on what needs replacing. I know what needs replacing, but they wouldn't listen to me..... I guess I have to look for another dealership when this work is complete.... I am getting disillusioned at the so-called "great customer satisfaction" of owning Lexus vehicles....
Old 08-06-02, 07:05 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What dealership tried to pull the wool over your head now? I know it wasn't Tustin. :eek:
Old 08-06-02, 07:07 PM
oac3
Rookie

Default Kearney Mesa

in San Diego.... right in my backyard off 163. Maybe it is me
Old 08-06-02, 08:02 PM
Thuggybear
Driver School Candidate

Alexandria VA
Lexus of Alexandria

Took my 97 LS in for routine oil change and maintance, about a month ago. Was charged for new bogus oil plug because my old one was stripped. Plus an extra 75dollars for puuting new grooves for the new oil plug.

Total Bill $155.00 for a simple oil change.

Today decide took cut out the middle man took my car to Toyota of Bowie. Oil change went fine, until the technician decided to be nice and clean the area where he was working and spayed brake cleaner on the engine and the oil filter. then decide to crank it up

Woosh!! my engine up in FLAMES!! the Parts and Service manager was on his P's & Q's and was there in a matter of seconds with a extinguisher to put out the blaze. after two diagnostics and a several check overs everything seems to be fine.

So here is my delima. Do you go to a Lexus dealer and run the risk of geting screwed or do you go to someone who really does not know your car?
Old 08-06-02, 08:11 PM
kreativ
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An oil change is a simple thing. Sounds like with your luck, you're better off doing oil changes yourself. Better than getting screwed wherever you go...

Last edited by kreativ; 08-06-02 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 05:43 AM
rybikowsky
Driver

Lindsey lexus has a labor charge of close to 100.00 per hour.You know that when you go in.They had to retap the oil drain oil,and put in a new plug.To do that right takes some time.Add in the oil and filter and you have the total.High yes.But nothing dishonest I change my own oil and filters,It is a simple and Quick job.Just make sure you dont strip the drain hole.
Old 08-07-02, 02:29 PM
kreativ
Advanced

The costs of actually repairing this issue is nothing out of the ordinary as far as luxury car dealers go. But if he's been taking it to the Lexus dealer for oil changes beforehand, then I'd say he got screwed by the Lexus dealer from having them cross-thread his oil drain plug on a previous visit.
Old 08-07-02, 03:25 PM
dt21823
Driver

I got fed up with mine and started going to another shop. More and more I got the feeling that they care more about getting as much cash from me as possible than keeping me as a repeat customer. I took my car in for service earlier this year and asked them to make sure they checked the breaks for wear. I was told I had 25% in the front and well over 25% in the rear. At my next scheduled service (5,000 miles later) they told me my front pads were down to like 10% and it was basically critical that they be replaced. They try to insist on including the optional items in every scheduled maintenance and the labor is outrageous. Guess that's what happens when they're the only Lexus dealership for 100s of miles. I'm now paying about 60% of what the dealer charges for the same service items, and the shop uses all Lexus parts and updates my service records so my warranty stays intact. Customer service is much better, and the technicians actually take the time to talk to you and advise you on your options and what they would recommend.

Ray
Old 08-08-02, 06:44 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

JM Lexus in Margate, FL has been the best Lexus dealership I have ever been too. The guy gave me an IS300 loaner.....AND another time they drove me to my school and picked me up. They were very courteous, I made friends with my service rep. When I brought the car in to get a front license plate holder put on, they did it for me right thena nd there, AND when I inquired about a price for a new airbag (with Chrome L) they gave me one for free....I'm not kidding you.
Old 08-08-02, 08:05 AM
JAC JZS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by futuregs
JM Lexus in Margate, FL has been the best Lexus dealership I have ever been too. The guy gave me an IS300 loaner.....AND another time they drove me to my school and picked me up. They were very courteous, I made friends with my service rep. When I brought the car in to get a front license plate holder put on, they did it for me right thena nd there, AND when I inquired about a price for a new airbag (with Chrome L) they gave me one for free....I'm not kidding you.
future, I have had similar experiences with JM. I remember on a few different occasions going there and having something done to my car(whether it be some sort of installation, etc...) and my service rep would say "That took too long to get done so it's free". I was amazed because these things did not take very long at all . One of the reps also told me that JM Lexus has the only Lexus Certified Body Shop in the U.S. The rep told me when they repair a car I would not even be able to tell that it has been repainted:eek: . Also I found out JM Lexus is the #1 Lexus Dealership in the World and not just the U.S!
Old 08-08-02, 09:43 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

Just went through my 5000 mile service appt. Set up the appointment 3 weeks early and needed the 5000 mile service, recall on cruise control switch, "I" emblem put back on, and homelink programmed. Asked how long it would be, 3 hours, and scheduled a loaner car. My wife actually takes the car in for the 9:00 a.m. appt, should be done by 12:00, the service guy tells her it will be done around 4:00 and here's your enterprise rental, a minivan. Now I would have got right back into my car and left but my wife is just too damn nice of a chick so she just gets in the van and takes off. She calls me so that I can ***** about it, which I did. At first he tells me that the estimated time was for the service and recalled item, we asked for 2 additional items be done....emblem and homelink.... which should only take about a half an hour tops. When I get home I find out that the service was done, the cruise control switch was o.k and didn't even need to be replaced, the emblem didn't get installed because they didn't have one in stock and didn't think to order one ahead of time, and the homelink didn't even work. I sent a pretty nasty e-mail to the service manager and still haven't seen a reply.
Old 08-08-02, 03:01 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by JAC JZS

future, I have had similar experiences with JM. I remember on a few different occasions going there and having something done to my car(whether it be some sort of installation, etc...) and my service rep would say "That took too long to get done so it's free". I was amazed because these things did not take very long at all . One of the reps also told me that JM Lexus has the only Lexus Certified Body Shop in the U.S. The rep told me when they repair a car I would not even be able to tell that it has been repainted:eek: . Also I found out JM Lexus is the #1 Lexus Dealership in the World and not just the U.S!
Yes they are absolutely awesome, and they have that cool "Online appointment" on their website which makes life so much easier.
Old 08-11-02, 10:58 PM
BAWLEX94
Lead Lap

Hendrick Lexus of Charlotte has always been more then willing to give out there loaners........i use to drive a `1991 LExus ES250......, and as a loaner i got a 2000 Lexus ES 300.... and then the next time i went in with the ES250 i got a 2001 RX 300....i took that bad boy to school the next day, and it was all i could do to take it back to them that afternoon.....they also gave me a front tag plate off of one of there loaner cars for free, and even put it on for me.....NO CHARGE,,,,, all of this while i was driving an old ES 250
Old 08-12-02, 09:40 AM
SCRUFFDOGG
Lexus Champion

To follow up on my service appt. I recieved a note from the customer service rep at the dealer and they offered me a free detail on my next visit. I'm not really interested in it but at least they responded.
Old 08-12-02, 10:14 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

which dealership was that scruffdog

Quick Reply: rate your dealer