Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-15, 08:44 AM
Hankdoose
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover

This is my first thread, but far from my first Lexus repair. I have just completed an air suspension to coilover (Suncore) conversion. No one has pictures and description of the job that I could find, so I pictured it all.
I have recently purchased a 2009 Lexus LS460 AWD with only 60k miles, that was making a thumping sound when I drive over bumps, best heard over the rear passenger side. Ride height is normal. It sounded like part of the suspension was loose. I checked to make sure the spare tire was bolted in place, confirmed that the rear wheel and brakes were tight. Then I got more involved and took out the rear seat and back to make sure the bolts are tight. I noticed that 3 out of the four shocks were replacements (KYB). How odd, a 60k mi 2009 Lexus LS460 on its second air suspension and now needing a third! I am planning to keep the car well over 200k mi (like my two prior Lexus) and don't want to replace air suspensions ($700+ each, plus labor) again, so I chose coilovers. After plenty of searching, the only company I could find that makes coilovers for the AWD is Suncore ($1800 for all four, lifetime warranty too).
The job was done in two stages:
1) taking off the rear seat , seat back and deck cover, which I will post pics in another thread.
2) Air suspension Conversion. I wasn't concerned about the mechanical portion of changing out the shocks. I was concerned about what to do with the electrical plugs, air hose and possible warning signals coming up on the dash from the conversion. Fortunately, my concerns weren't a problem. I just zip-tied and taped up the air hose. I removed the height sensor computer and left the plug under the metal dust bowl. No warning/ error signals have come up on the dash.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-10.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-9.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-8.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-7.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-4.jpg  

Old 03-17-15, 08:48 AM
Hankdoose
Driver School Candidate

More pics of the conversion.
Attached Thumbnails Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-2.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-3.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-1.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-6.jpg   Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover-lexus-strut-conversion-5.jpg  

Old 03-17-15, 08:51 AM
Hankdoose
Driver School Candidate

Note the picture that has the metal arched perch around the front CV rod . I have an arrow pointing to it. This is factory modification from the RWD suspension is most likely why the RWD conversion kits won't work on AWD.
Old 05-04-15, 09:14 PM
crza81
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What height sensor computer did u remove .
Old 05-06-15, 03:24 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

How does it ride?
Old 05-12-15, 06:33 AM
Hankdoose
Driver School Candidate

After I replaced the shocks, it immediately noticed it rode slightly stiffer, but not as "stiff" as a GS300. The thumping sound over bumps went away. No error signals on the dash. I am very satisfied with the results. The conversion kit was pricey at $1800. But, there aren't any other makers for the AWD coilovers.
Old 04-30-17, 10:32 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Likely to not get a response given how old this thread is, but I'll give it a shot.

I notice these are not height adjustable. What did it look like once you finished the job? Height at each corner?
Old 10-09-17, 06:16 AM
jb12122005
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you cut the air hose connected to the air strut?
Old 02-05-20, 10:29 PM
gjnegrete
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 LS460 Sport. It has 106,000 miles on it and this weekend the front left shock failed. Took it to my mechanic to confirm it was only the shock, not the compressor too. Their software reported the rear left shock had continuous exhaust and they could not restart the air suspension compressor. Their recommendation was to have Lexus look at it, but expect Lexus to recommend a full replacement of all air suspension components, estimated at $10,000.
Since I was originally looking for a non-air LS460, I was planning on installing coil over struts when one shock failed.

I just ordered a set from Strut Masters for $970 shipped. I will install in about two weeks and report back how I think the ride feels, and the look. I am also hoping I do not get a light.

I contacted a friend who is a car broker to confirm this conversion would not make the car unsaleable. He said it did not matter, and most people would not even notice.
Old 02-06-20, 10:47 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gjnegrete
I just ordered a set from Strut Masters for $970 shipped. I will install in about two weeks and report back how I think the ride feels, and the look.
You should have done more research before ordering that kit as I've not seen a single good review. Go KYB and OEM springs if you want to convert properly and so long as you leave the height sensors in place you should not get a light on the dashboard.
Old 02-06-20, 03:10 PM
gjnegrete
Driver School Candidate

Hello 213374U,
I was hesitant to go with Strutmasters. I spent several hours searching online for used OEM struts to get the springs, but could not find good condition struts.
I watched a
conversion. I see they found the car to sit higher in the rear. I am expecting that.

But, once I decided to go with a complete strut, Strutmasters seemed like the best option over Suncore, Unity, and a few other chinese made assemblies.

I have not found many posts about LS460 coil over conversions with Strutmasters. That is why I want to post my experience.

I am planning to also replace the upper control arms with MevoTech since I am already in there. I have replace the two bottom arms with Mevotech and am pleased.
Old 02-06-20, 04:10 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Careful with the MevoTech too, I am already getting noise from a UCA I installed 8K ago. Granted this is on my LS400 but it should speak to the quality. I'll be going OEM when I replace it.
Old 02-16-20, 07:07 PM
gjnegrete
Driver School Candidate

Strutmasters installed all around, converted from air suspension.
I completed the conversion from air suspension to coil-over struts. I received the complete strut assembly from Strutmasters in about a week. I am in California, I believe Strutmasters are on the East coast. The shocks(struts) were KYB. The ride is fine. Nothing noticeable either good or bad in my opinion. The ride height seemed like it was higher. But, I looked at a photo from when I purchased the car, and it looks very similar, height-wise.

Old 02-17-20, 02:32 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

If the struts themselves are KYB then 'awesome!'

I would expect the height to settle down a bit after a month or so so just keep an eye on it. Would be interesting to measure all 4 corners to see exactly how much they settle.
Old 02-17-20, 06:34 PM
Barberlife
Driver School Candidate

Default kYB struts??

Originally Posted by gjnegrete

Strutmasters installed all around, converted from air suspension.
I completed the conversion from air suspension to coil-over struts. I received the complete strut assembly from Strutmasters in about a week. I am in California, I believe Strutmasters are on the East coast. The shocks(struts) were KYB. The ride is fine. Nothing noticeable either good or bad in my opinion. The ride height seemed like it was higher. But, I looked at a photo from when I purchased the car, and it looks very similar, height-wise.

the struts were KYB from strutmasters?

Quick Reply: Lexus LS460 Air Suspension Conversion to Coilover