Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Where is the tilt-steering gear on '01 GS430?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-14, 10:20 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the tilt-steering gear on '01 GS430?

Hello!

I've been reading all the DIY's, vids etc, on repair of the tilt steering gear.
Got myself together to go do it - lube, washers, instructs...got the lower cover off the column (not easy getting it around the switch on mine)...and non gearbox where I expected!

Anyone else done this on a pre-2006 GS430, or know where they moved the tilt-gear on this model?

That aside now...
I'm brand new to Lexus, and this forum...this is my first post, and first time ever joining any kind of forum - lol. But been reading on here for months, before buying this GS430 a few weeks ago.
Looking forward to being a member, while still learning the ideo-syncracies of my new car.

Thanks so much for your time, and any help!
Old 10-25-14, 01:15 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

Default Answered my own question

Here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pic-wheel.html

I'd been looking at info for LS400 and SC400, thinking they're "400's" and would be same as GS..."not".

Last edited by johnnyho; 10-25-14 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-25-14, 02:42 AM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

What lube and where to get it?
Old 10-25-14, 09:49 AM
johnnyho
Rookie

Well, here is what I know (today) on that:
Lexus steering system manual is "Molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease".
Auto Zone "carries" grease such as Permatex and Liquid Wrench di-electric and lithium greases (http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-...ase/10463_0_0/)
Napa carries TRC Lithium Grease, or their own Napa-branded di-electric.

A lithium-based, or Di-electric (having no electically-conductive properties) has been recommended, I got some di-electric while at Home Depot, when the local Auto Zone had nothing in inventory. But just found Napa has the choices I mentioned above...hmmm.

I've also seen someone swear by ball-joint type grease, because it won't break-down for many years.

Lastly I'll add.... the LS430 ('01-02 at least) seems completely different (again) from any of the above...if anyone else has a GS430 and wonders. There is a good writeup specifically for earlier LS430's if anyone looking...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-write-up.html

Didn't realize Lexus had so many different designs for their steering wheel ops!!
Old 11-10-14, 10:40 PM
johnnyho
Rookie

Ok, I have something relevant to add to our knowledge-base on this topic!

I had read a post in here saying the Lexus "steering system manual" says to use "Molybdenum disulfide lithium base grease" for the steering wheel gears. While it may not be related experiences using standard white lithium grease and things reverting within a year, I had read a post of someone having a dealer do the clean/regrease and still holding up after some time. Also someone that used ball-joint grease, saying it would take a long time to break down and their procedure was still fine sometime later.

I called Lexus dealerships to ask if they sold something like this "recommended grease". First dealer did show they carry a specified grease for the application (disulfide lithium grease) for $70 a tube. Tried another to price-compare (having also inquired with both service departments if they do the service itself - they're not that familiar with here). The next sold the tubes for $65, but then also showed a cross-reference to an alternate, less expensive one. Which turned out to be Napa Auto Parts, part# SL3174...a CV-joint grease made by Stay Lube for around $6 a tube..

My nearest Napa had to have it brought in from the nearest warehouse, same afternoon, sure enough it says its a lithium grease fortified with "moly disulfide"(with some other additives and inhibitors). But at a...what. 130% savings? Keeping in mind it is supposed to be for CV joint applications, it does say "old grease should be solvent-cleaned and air-dried before application".

I'm going to give it a try, soon as I can return to trying to remove the two screws holding the tilt-motor to the shaft (rear upper and front-facing lower, of the motor)...hopefully without stripping out the phillips recess of the screw heads. I'm guessing if I do strip it (may have Loctite) might use a dremel cut off disk to reshape it, for grip, then replace screw from a fastener specialty shop.

FYI it was kindly pointed out to me that of the four screws on the motor, just two needed to remove the motor from the column assembly, then the other two hold the motor itself together. The two to remove from column are interior-facing lower and firewall-facing (rear-ward as facing) upper. See Johnno92 comments on page 4 of this thread (or read the whole thread) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...pic-wheel.html.

BTW the red-circled item is just the interior temperature sensor....don't know if I should have deleted this whole thing to avoid confusing future re-searchers....but maybe helps somehow to leave it. Feel free to offer opinions on that, I'm not an experienced poster...never used things like these before, but in this case glad this is here, and trying to be "responsible" with. :-) Thanks!

Last edited by johnnyho; 11-10-14 at 10:51 PM.