Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

overheat at idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-03, 07:03 AM
Lvangundy

Default overheat at idle

If I park my car for about a minute or two and leave it running the temperature gauge rises past the half-way mark (which never happened until about 2 weeks ago) and about 50% of the time the radiator fans come on. If I start to drive the temp. returns to normal.

My guesses are:

- Thermostat
- Coolant (hoses clogged?)
- Head gasket

Anyone think it could be one of those or something else?

Last edited by Lvangundy; 02-12-03 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 11:08 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds as though the heat transfer is not fast enough when the car is at idle, or not what is used to be.

1. Has your coolant been changed lately. If it has, it may be that the ratio of coolant to water was not 50:50 and that you are experiencing different fan involvement that is not what you are used to.

2. It may be that the radiator passages are not as free flowing as we would like. This would be cause for more fan involvement. But I would think that the more heat produced (car moving, not idling) would tax the system more and the fan would be on constantly. ????? But then again, see number 3

3. The water pump may not be pushing the coolant as efficiently as it does when under load. Check your belts. You may have one that is not the right size or has stretched. It may not be turning the water pump as effciently at idle as it does under more RPMs.

4. If the water is flowing past the thermostat and you are getting heat in the passager compartment then I don't think that is the problem. However, has it been changed lately? If so, maybe the replacement is not the same rated temp as before. This will cause the system to act differently than you are used to.

5. I would say it is not the head gasket if you are not loosing coolant and you don't see any crystalized around where the engine block and cylinder heads come together. If it was, you would be sure to smell that characteristic hot maple syrup smell if you are running standard yellow/green coolant.

One thought I have,
It may be that the coolant temperature sensor is starting to go.
It may not be sending the right signal to the ECU and the fan is instructed to come on earlier. Not a very expensive sensor.
Can be replaced, but the coolant level has to be lowered.

I assume you are nervous because this all started about two weeks ago. I take it that you have not overheated yet. It does sound like something has recently changed in your coolant system if this just started.

Keep me informed as to what you find.

(Your scenario was typical for my sc Bonneville. Never had a problem with it. Later the power steering pump seal was leaking and the fluid was getting on the belts. This cause them to slip and the water pump didn't work as well. When is got really bad, the belts usually walked off the pulley at this point. = Overheat.)

steviej

Last edited by steviej; 02-12-03 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-12-03, 07:09 PM
Lvangundy

Sorry mods - I didn't realize I posted this twice.