Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Running Rich?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-03, 05:29 PM
spxChrome
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running Rich?

Anybody have any idea what could make my 93 LS run rich? It seems to run fine but using alot of gas and smells very rich when I crank it in the garage. Sometimes sitting at a red light I can almost smell it in the car?? Doesn't smell like straight gas but more like exhaust. And when I first crank it, it blows a little white smoke while it is warming up.

I am taking it to the shop tommorow so it would be nice to recommend what to look at instead of just walking in and saying "can you check it out, my car is running rich".

No telling what they will come back with.

thanks
Old 02-26-03, 07:38 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spx,

Well, without diagnostics you cant be sure. But, if you were in fact running rich the TCCS would trigger a check engine light. I would check the O2 sensor first then check the Vf readings to see if the ecu were trying to lean down a overrich mixture.

Or, for the basics...I would just reset the ecu. Disconnect the negative battery cable for a couple minutes and go out to relearn the ecu.

O2 sensor testing and Vf testing are outlined in the service manuals.
Old 02-27-03, 07:45 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Spx,

At about 8,000 feet here in Mexico City my 99 RX AWD burns a lot of gas and it does smell very rich. I cannot smell it inside the car. I took into to my local Toyota to do an OBD2 test, and although it did not touch off the check engine light, it was definitely running rich, but this was likely due to altitude and the season.
Old 02-27-03, 01:53 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a recent thing? I would get things checked in the spring when the oxygenated fuel stops getting served out. I've always gotten lower mpg in the winter. Only thing that changes is the damn gas.
Old 02-27-03, 07:03 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexmex,

I also live at altitude ~8000ft. Your RX should not be running rich. The ecu will relearn very quickly and you should in no way be smelling any rich condition. As for running OBD tests to confirm this rich condition...I dont have much faith in that. As said, the ecu will relearn and the Ox signal is always compensating in every condition. What parameter was determined to be running rich. ie, exactly what reading from the OBD scan told of a rich condition?
Old 02-28-03, 07:21 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

I can't remember right now. I had it written down on some computer file. However, I do remember having this checked twice, and the Toyota mechanic told me in Spanish it was running rich. Apparently this has been happening on the new 4-Runners just sold here in Mexico City, but it is not occurring at neighboring dealerships in Guadalajara or Monterrey (lower altitudes).

I know what you are talking about with the ECUs. However, remember I am in Mexico and the gas SUCKS. It is supposed to be imported for 93 octane (Mobil if I remember), but the gas stations have dirty pumps and tanks. Sometimes, they put the wrong octane into the wrong tank. Any of these things can throw a car off.