Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

tan leather seats turning green

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-03, 07:25 PM
certless
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tan leather seats turning green

Anyone else had any luck fixing leather seats turning green. Lexus and the dealer seem to think that thier warranty does not cover this problem and that its a user issue.
Old 01-15-03, 07:49 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you use any kind of leather conditioner or cleaner?
Old 01-15-03, 08:06 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

turning green? have you been wearing green cloth lately? do a quick search on how to deap clean the leather with Soft Scrub.

definitely a user problem.

Once thing about leather seats, they are nice, but just like a lady skin, need alot of work to take care, wash and lotion often to keep them soft and moist.

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 01-15-03 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 08:07 PM
certless
Driver School Candidate

Default seats turning color

I have only had the car about 1 1/2 years and have done nothing to the seats other than sit in them for about 9,000 miles. Never had green on. I have had over twenty cars and not a one turned color -- even the convertables. A few Mercedes parts shunk in areas but nothing like this. Both the front seats are doing the same thing.

Last edited by certless; 01-15-03 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-15-03, 08:14 PM
certless
Driver School Candidate

yah and I'll tell my wife to get off the white bed and other furniture -- that her clothes did it. Funny nothing else in or house is green and I have five other cars that are all greenless.
Old 01-24-03, 12:06 AM
Seminole GS300
Pole Position

I know what you're talking about. It always happends in my car, but I really do believe that it is from my clothes. Anyways, I just have the ppl. at the car wash do a quick condition, and it looks fine.
Old 01-24-03, 02:04 AM
Sooner
Pole Position

cool
Old 01-24-03, 08:42 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Question

certless, WHERE on the seat is the color changing?? If it's only where clothes contact the seat, I can understand the Lexus' reluctance. And if it's on other parts of the seat, then the dealer is just trying to avoid solving the problem (as if THAT never happens!!).

By no means am I questioning your contention that neither you or your wife has worn green stuff in the car, but have you tried the usual leather cleaner/ conditioner route? Wifey decided to wear some new, unwashed/un-prewashed denim jeans (just like I used to wear when I was a kid) in her RX a while back, leaving me with the job of Lexol-ing her seat to remove the blue denim dye. No problems removing stuff like that, just a little tedious. Any other drivers in the house???

But if the dye itself is changing color, I'm stumped. That then WOULD be a warranty issue, though. I've never had any fabrics in my cars change colors, either, except for slight sun fading.

Maybe a good detailer could shed some light............might also post this in the Detailing Forum and/or PM Daddy-O, the moderator of that forum; he's quite a knowledgeable dude............

Last edited by mooretorque; 01-24-03 at 08:45 AM.
Old 01-24-03, 05:50 PM
Guitarman

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im frankly stumped.
Ive been a pro detailer for 10 years and Ive never seen nor encountered this personally.

The only possibility I can think of is that sometimes dyed leather (tan in your case) starts out from the supplier as another color. Lexus has it dyed to their specs. If the bond of the leather dye from Lexus isn't good, you would see the tanned leather' s color start to show through with wear. My mother has a very old '78 Caddy Seville that had a different tanned shade of leather than the dye Cadillac used. I found this out when I stripped the dye to redo the leather myself. Cadillac used a beige dye, but the actual tanned material was in fact light yellow. I stripped it down and dyed it all white myself, and its held up well over the last 4 years, but in the wrinkles I can now see the light yellow showing through.

This is just a guess, and the best one I can contemplate. Let us know what comes of this, I'm intrigued. Dan H
Old 11-17-11, 06:54 AM
rafmike
Driver School Candidate

I have the same problem, but it's not from colored clothing. it's where my skin touches the leather. I'm guessing it could be from sun lotion on my arms (not green) or from perspiration. Either way, the light gray leather looks bad. I thought I was buying a high quality vehicle, but this problem suggests otherwise. From rafmike@aol,com
Old 11-17-11, 09:18 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by rafmike
I have the same problem, but it's not from colored clothing. it's where my skin touches the leather. I'm guessing it could be from sun lotion on my arms (not green) or from perspiration. Either way, the light gray leather looks bad. I thought I was buying a high quality vehicle, but this problem suggests otherwise. From rafmike@aol,com
lotions and other things people put on their skins have all sorts of different materials, some metallic, some that may react poorly with leather, leather dye and leather conditioner...

My car has 10 years old and the leather and suede look as new as the day it rolled off the showroom floor... But, that being said, I don't allow any weird materials, lotions, conditioners, etc, in the car...

suntan lotion is deadly for coral reefs, no telling what it can do to other living or once living things...
Old 11-24-11, 03:33 AM
rayon78
Driver School Candidate

May be its not good leather well use some leather cleaner on it and if it is not work well then one option is remain that replacement.
Old 11-24-11, 04:21 AM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

If it is a Lexus, I assure you, it is good leather. Lexus uses some of the best leather on the market. I'm sure it just needs a good cleaning my friend.
Old 11-29-11, 06:04 PM
weaver483
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leather seats turning green

The Lexus leather seats are not the same quality that they once were. My wife's '10 RX leather light grey seats have turned green especially on the seat back were her arms & elbows touch the seat. This is her 5th Lexus with leather seats and the only one to have this problem. I use both leather cleaner and conditioner on a regular basis as I have with her previous Lexus cars.
Old 12-03-11, 12:05 PM
advisor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by weaver483
The Lexus leather seats are not the same quality that they once were. My wife's '10 RX leather light grey seats have turned green especially on the seat back were her arms & elbows touch the seat. This is her 5th Lexus with leather seats and the only one to have this problem. I use both leather cleaner and conditioner on a regular basis as I have with her previous Lexus cars.
is it POSSIBLE that maybe your wife is using some sort of new lotion? I don't think the quality of the leather has changed any.

Quick Reply: tan leather seats turning green