Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Power Steering Pump Seal Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 10:59 AM
Herm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Seal Kit

Recently bought a 93 LS400 (85,000 miles). Noticed leak (PS fluid ?) on car bottom cover below PS pump. I presume PS pump or hose is leaking but I haven't checked in detail yet. Has anyone done the "PS Pump Seal Kit" themselves ? Does it come with instructions or do I use the service manual for guidance ? Does it require dissassembly of the entire pump or just pulling the shaft and replacing the shaft seal (ie can the back of the pump be left on). Am I better off just buying a new pump?

Thanks for any info provided - Herm

Last edited by Herm; 12-23-02 at 11:01 AM.
Old 12-23-02, 11:56 AM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the dealer do the seal replacement on my old Bonneville. It was about $300 for parts and labor. At the time the Bonne had 110k miles. I asked the dealer how long will the seal kit would last, he said for another 50-75k miles. He suggested the new or reman pump only if I was going to keep the car for another 100k. The new pump alone was $500.

I opted for the seal replacement, traded the car 3 years later at 155k. The pump shaft and seal showed no sign of degredation at that time.

sj

Last edited by steviej; 12-23-02 at 11:57 AM.
Old 12-23-02, 06:08 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The seal kit don't come with any instruction. You will have to completely disassembly the pump. I recommend the dealer to do it .
Old 12-23-02, 06:50 PM
Herm
Driver

Thanks for the info VVT-i. I will look over the procedure in the service manual and decide. I dissassembled a Subaru PS pump a few years ago and replaced the seals - it was not too bad. Big difference between $400-600 for a Lexus replacement pump and a $25 seal kit. Aftermarket pump about $150 but I have been dissappointed with quality of some aftermarket parts.

Anyone else out there who replaced the seals themselves ?

Thanks for any info provided - Herm

Last edited by meZoom!; 10-14-04 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-23-02, 07:37 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Yeah, it's a comon problem for the 1st gen LS with pump and high pressure line leaks. If you're gonna DIY the pump please make sure you clean the solenoid at the steering rack.
If you look under the car on the driver side, you will see a round thing mount on the rack with 2 wires coming out, that's the solenoid. You'll have to use the chisel to loose the nut and remove it, then take the screen out and clean it. The dirty screen will cause hard steer and feel like you have no power steering at all.
Old 12-25-02, 01:41 PM
Herm
Driver

Default PS Pump Redesign??

Does anyone know if the Lexus replacement PS pump is a new design ? (i.e. has something been done to fix the leak problem or are we just replacing the pump with one that will fail early again?)
Old 01-01-03, 07:09 PM
Herm
Driver

Default Did Seal Kit

For the info of anyone interested - I did the "Seal Kit" on my leaking 93 LS (85k miles) power steering pump. So far so good, but time will tell. Took a few hours, a good part of which was cleaning ! I pretty much followed the service manual but was able to use a big vise and sockets as opposed to a press. All of the old O-rings were stone hard and cracked upon removal, no wonder the pump leaked !

One really needs to have some mechanical background/experience for this job. Lots of force required to pull shaft with slide hammer and pressing in the new parts is a little challenging, alignment critical.

Note in with the seal kit and "hints" in service manual really help with O ring selection/placement.

Return hose was stone hard so I replaced it also.

The PS fluid was like dirty motor oil, of course I flushed the system also. I just bought the car - I guess the previous never flushed it.

I haven't cleaned the solonoid screen (on the rack) yet as suggested by an earlier post. Based on the condition of my fluid this sure seems like a good idea. I must admit I was a little intimidated since it apparently involves chisiling off a nut (see earlier post). Can anyone offer further info on the procedure ?
Old 01-01-03, 09:02 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Good job man, I know how you feel when you do it.
The solenoid will need to use a chisel just one good tap. When it come loose just unscrew by hand. Then clean the screen and tighten it the same way with one good tap.
Old 01-08-03, 09:46 AM
federal98
Driver School Candidate

Question PS seal kit

Herm, thanks for sharing the information!

Where did you get you power steering seal kit from and the instructions on how to change it? It sounded like a pretty complicated task, but I am willing to try it to save some $$.

Did you happen to take some pictures as you were changing the seal? What would you have done different next time?

Thanks again!

federal98
Old 01-10-03, 02:43 PM
federal98
Driver School Candidate

Smile PS seal

Thanks again, and I really appreciate your kindness in sharing your experience with all of us.

Have a great weekend, sir!

Best regards,

federal98
Old 02-02-03, 04:53 PM
Herm
Driver

Default Thanks - PS solenoid screen filter cleaning

Just wanted to Thank VVT-I, DevilDog, and others for posting the great info on cleaning the Power Steering rack soleniod filter screen. Mine was badly clogged as apparently many are. After cleaning the difference in steering effort is like night and day ! I would assume the blockage might be the cause of pump/hose/leakage problems also due to back pressure ?

The key point is that this fix is not mentioned in the service manual and people have said there is not even a TSB on it. The parts list/breakdown does not indicate that the soleniod comes out ! If it were not for great advice on this forum I would have wasted hundreds of dollars and countless hours. Hope I can return the favor by contributing my knowledge on something.

I would like to have replaced the two O-rings involved but like I said Lexus does not list the parts - anyone know the O ring size and/or a source for them ?

Thanks again - Herm

Last edited by Herm; 02-02-03 at 04:55 PM.
Old 02-02-03, 07:34 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Your welcome Herm. I'm glad that you can fixed the problem without spending hundred of $ and good write up to share with other.
Nuum
Old 02-03-03, 09:06 PM
hyperopt
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Thanks - PS solenoid screen filter cleaning

Originally posted by Herm
Mine was badly clogged as apparently many are. After cleaning the difference in steering effort is like night and day !
Could you elaborate on the differences? Is the steering lighter?
Old 02-06-03, 12:25 PM
Herm
Driver

In answer to your question: We notice a BIG improvement on slow speed turns and parking. Much less force required to turn the wheel. High speed performance remains fine. I guess the best way to say it is that now that the rack PS filter is clean the speed proportional power steering assist is working!
Old 04-12-04, 06:40 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

This post is definitely helpful, since i'm struggling with a hard steering on my 90LS even after a brand new power steering pump. Though I love to do DIY stuff as much as I can, I also know when to stop and ask for professional help
The dealer doesn't acknowledge any of this. they say it's unheard of to clean the filter screen/solenoid on the rack. their solution is simple. change the whole rack !
I'm in NJ, and would like to know if there's a private mech. or anyone that one of the CL members would know who have done this before where I can take the car and pay to get this done. hopefully I'll experience day and night difference as well !
thanks.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Pump Seal Kit