Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Will you void Transmission warranty if you dont get the fuid exchange?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-02, 11:52 AM
PlayboyzGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will you void Transmission warranty if you dont get the fluid exchange?

Ok guys i need some help. My gs400 has around 45k on it and the tranny fluid id black. My dealership has already performed 2 drain and fills and various intervals but it is balck now. They told me to get it flushed but it will cost 199. Now there is a place in town which will do it for 69 and use regular transmission fluid but also an additive which makes it toyota t-4. I looked at the bottle on the additive and it states it makes the tanny fluid like toyota t-4. Now, what if i dont get any of this done, can lexus come back to me and be like well since you never got the service and now your tranny is bad, the fluid is black indicating no service was done so we will not warranty the transmission?? Or, should I just get it done for 199, or get it done for 69. I have no clue what to do... Right now, when i am slowing down, the car gives a hard kickback while downshifting but this has only happenned twice in 1 year and if the car is in neutral and you accelerate the car goes forward a bit.... Is this normal??? PLEASE HELP>>>

Last edited by PlayboyzGS; 11-08-02 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-08-02, 12:05 PM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

dude,

if you don't want to bring it to the dealer for the 199 tranny oil change, then just bring it to a local mechanic and have them do it for you. and just BUY the toyota type - IV tranny fluid and bring it to the mechanic if he doesn't supply it. it shouldn't cost you that much anyways. i won't trust that mixing of additives to make it type - IV.

you can get the type - IV fluid from either a lexus dealership or better yet, cheaper at a toyota dealership.

oh yeah, i would have the mechanic take the pan off and inspect the tranny since ur saying it's all black and all.
Old 11-08-02, 12:45 PM
Lvangundy

I've had a few experiences with the transmission fluid flush..

Do not let anyone put a non toyota type-4 (IV) fluid into the transmission- even if it's dexron with an additive to make it equivalent to Type-IV.

I'd say have the dealer do it, but find real Toyota fluid outside from them. You will need about 5 cans of type-IV. Make sure the dealer actually performs an 'engine running' flush to get everything out of the torque converter. I've watched shop do it on my 90' LS, they simply disconnect a house near the radiator turn the engine and funnel new fluid into the transmission dipstock hole. A flush with 2 or 3 cans, then a refill.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to have the differential fluid flushed also. Dealer takes about 15 mins to do this.
Old 11-08-02, 01:48 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I wrote the instruction on how to do this at home on my homepage
Old 11-08-02, 04:00 PM
BatKing
Rookie

If $199 is the case than it is not too bad. I don't know about you. But in my area, the transmission fluid cost me $40 a can. Do the math. (@toyota $36 plus tax, @lexus $41 plus tax). I am in sf bay area.
Old 11-08-02, 04:08 PM
Lvangundy

Carson toyota hooked it up at around $30 a can.
Old 11-08-02, 04:17 PM
BatKing
Rookie

Carson toyota hooked it up at around $30 a can.
even at $30 a can. you just save $50. and you need to do it yourself. then why not let the dealer to do it?

if I can save more than $100 then I might do it myself.
Old 11-08-02, 09:55 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

I paid $20 a can here at local toyota dealer, if you use 5 can, that $100. something wrong with your local dealership. you are getting major rip off.

Last edited by BananaGS; 11-08-02 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 10:29 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Specs:

CPO 1998 GS400, bought three years ago in the 40K miles range, now has 83K, no Tran fluid exchanges since.

After calling AAMCO and several Toyota and Lexus dealers, most feared deposit breakups with a power flush, thus causing more damage than good, and recommended several drip and replacements first. I am off to a Toyota dealer, who will do a flush, and then type IV, and filter and screen, only because he said if I experience slippage afterwards, I will notice it fairly immediate, and can then take it to Lexus (I only have till March 25th left on CPO warranty). Hope I am doing the right thing; I do see my Tran oil slightly black, but I am also able to see some red on the dipstick. Other have told me Lexus/Toyota engines and Tran parts don't experience too many issues, so here I go...
Old 02-09-04, 01:37 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

no such thing as cans of T-IV, Toyota now sells it by the quart,
Old 02-09-04, 02:16 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by nthach
no such thing as cans of T-IV, Toyota now sells it by the quart,
They still manufacture it by gallon cans.
Here is the part # :

Automatic Transmission Fluid
PartN: 08886-81015
Type: T-IV
Volume: 1gallon = 4 liters
Attached Images  

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 02-09-04 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 03:24 PM
mrshabo
Lexus Test Driver

199? that's crazy. I bought 3 quarts of tranny fluid (redline) and had it flushed with reg gear oil. cost me 10 bucks to change. i don't know how u guys got 199. they are overcharging you like crazy. flush it with cheap IV weight oil.

p.s if you buy redline tranny fluid go to myoilshop.com. it's a fully synth oil. it was 7 bucks a quart for me.

Last edited by mrshabo; 02-09-04 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-09-04, 04:52 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

I paid $157 (all inclusive, Type T-IV, 12 quarts, $4.10 each), but they did not remove 'the pan'. Thus, no filter change. The machine they used was a BG PF5, www.bgprod.com. Should I be concerned about the filter?

PS When I first left the Toyota Dealer, there were sounds of fluid, like a diesel engine sometimes sounds. Is this cause there is a lot more room in my Trani and the fluid needs to fill all the spots? Hope it doesn't start to slip, although when I gun it, it does take a second and then sort of a jerk. Just being paranoid...

thoughts?
Old 02-09-04, 05:00 PM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

some links

http://www.bgprod.com/bgconsumer/bgs...nsmission.html

http://www.bgprod.com/movies/Hibandwidth/Tranny.mov

anyone ever do an regular oil flush?
Old 02-10-04, 07:25 AM
Lexmexico
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have never flushed it before 45K, do it now and get it replaced with the real Toyota Type-IV.

I know people who have used, with success, Mobil 1 ATF and Amsoil ATF, in a Lexus, but you have to way $199 versus a new transmission.

Quick Reply: Will you void Transmission warranty if you dont get the fuid exchange?