All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Special Interest Forums > Maintenance
All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread >

All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread

Notices
Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread

Old 06-19-15, 05:45 PM
tjonesga
Driver School Candidate

If you plan to use the upper cylinder clean with injection cleaner made by Lucas oil the proper amount is 3 oz per ten gallons of gas. The advertised amounts on the bottles are not the proper amounts according to the techs at Lucas. There is a discrepancy in the math from the recommended usage from bottle size to bottle size. I did the math to determine the error, and questioned tech. The answer above is what they told me. Thought I would pass that along.

They have good products but you got to use the right amounts or you are not using enough or you are wasting your money on to much product. TJ
Old 02-27-18, 01:09 PM
anniverse
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Synthetic motor oil

At 112,000 thousand mile Service ( I do my oil changes if the mileage is divisible by 7
I took my Lexus GS300 1999 to Sears for oil change and I thought they will follow the
Manufacturers Recommendation for 5/30 standard oil because that is what is stamped
on the engine. there is no mention of SYNTHETIC OIL.
I did not realize what was happening till I got oil leak on driveway and upon further inspection
I found out that my top valve gasket was leaking and I had to replace it. Also I did the oil and filter
change using Mobil 5/30 STANDARD oil. Point to NOTE here is that SEARS without realizing that
the Oil nut washer was not used-replaced or lost and to stop the leak they over tightened the nut.
I had to use a torgue of about 110 FT/LBS.----NO MORE SEARS FGOR ME AND MY FAMILY.
To me Synthetic oil is only good up to 50,000 MILES when the Seals are new and uncorrupted.
As you may know and as the Word SYNTHETIC visualizes it is made of more of ARTIFICIAL
materials then OI. Thus this oil contains some minerals and Chemicals that are reacting with
rubber and Gasket Seals and penetrates it and thus you have oil Leaks.
Take my advise and use Standard oil if your car is over 50,000 miles and before it is time
to start changing any seal, gasket or o rings as standard Service requirements.
Another point to note with Sears or maybe with some other BIG service centers is the
OVER TIGHTEN or seal things up so you HAVE to take it back to them and that is called
REPEAT CUSTOMERS
Old 03-01-18, 11:14 PM
tghw
Pole Position

Originally Posted by anniverse View Post
At 112,000 thousand mile Service ( I do my oil changes if the mileage is divisible by 7
I took my Lexus GS300 1999 to Sears for oil change and I thought they will follow the
Manufacturers Recommendation for 5/30 standard oil because that is what is stamped
on the engine. there is no mention of SYNTHETIC OIL.
I did not realize what was happening till I got oil leak on driveway and upon further inspection
I found out that my top valve gasket was leaking and I had to replace it. Also I did the oil and filter
change using Mobil 5/30 STANDARD oil. Point to NOTE here is that SEARS without realizing that
the Oil nut washer was not used-replaced or lost and to stop the leak they over tightened the nut.
I had to use a torgue of about 110 FT/LBS.----NO MORE SEARS FGOR ME AND MY FAMILY.
To me Synthetic oil is only good up to 50,000 MILES when the Seals are new and uncorrupted.
As you may know and as the Word SYNTHETIC visualizes it is made of more of ARTIFICIAL
materials then OI. Thus this oil contains some minerals and Chemicals that are reacting with
rubber and Gasket Seals and penetrates it and thus you have oil Leaks.
Take my advise and use Standard oil if your car is over 50,000 miles and before it is time
to start changing any seal, gasket or o rings as standard Service requirements.
Another point to note with Sears or maybe with some other BIG service centers is the
OVER TIGHTEN or seal things up so you HAVE to take it back to them and that is called
REPEAT CUSTOMERS
You are misinformed about the use of synthetic oil. It is fully compatible and acceptable for use in your engine at any mileage, not just up to 50k. If you don't want to use it, that is your choice, but don't use old wives tales to try to discourage others from using it. It is superior to conventional oil in almost every aspect.
Old 03-01-18, 11:59 PM
anniverse
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Synthetic oil

Well when it happened to my first Honda Vehicle I passed it off as ONETIME.
But when it happened to my Lexus gs300 1999 I got worried and spoke to
quite a few Parts Sales people and some Mechanics and they Agree with me.
Anyway I did all my oil changes since I bought my Lexus Ex-lease at 31,000 miles
and did not have any issues with oil leaks till SEARS did one due to my ill health.
That was at 112,000 Miles with Synthetic and that is when the Problem strted.
THIS IS NO OLD WIVES TALE?????????????????????????
Old 03-02-18, 12:07 AM
tghw
Pole Position

Changing your oil has nothing to do with your VC gasket starting to leak. Your gasket is 19 yrs. old and has over 100k mi. on it. Gaskets wear out and need to be replaced. It's not unusual to need a new VC gasket at 112k miles.

Last edited by tghw; 03-02-18 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-02-18, 01:22 AM
JetCat
Driver School Candidate

Hello, Anniverse ... I hope you are doing well ...... I wonder if you would allow me to share a few friendly comments .... some time back I found a blog written by an engineering person .... who for some odd reason likes to spend time doing lab studies on engine oil in his spare time. This seems a rather boring hobby .... but for whatever reason, this guy just seems to like it. The name of his blog is : 540 Rat Oil Test ( https://540ratblog.wordpress.com ) I have to say, reading this blog has turned into quite an education ... it is very long and very, very detailed. If you look closely you will also find he has a place where people write to him and he answers their mail ..... there is all kinds of stuff posted here. ( one of my favorites is where he takes-on certain BMW owners who have destroyed engine main bearings ... his suggestion is to ignore the owner manual and run a thinner oil ) He takes commonly known engine oils that we have all heard of and runs them through a quality test ... there are some interesting surprises to be found. Point being ... this is all about becoming informed and obtaining a deeper knowledge .. .. .. I thought it was really interesting when I first found the blog .... my wife thought I had lost my mind when she figured out how may hours I had spent reading through everything ..... I think I spent about 2 entire weeks on it when I first discovered it .... well, anyways .... just thought I would share this with you ... you may also find the blog to be of interest -- -- -- : )
The Following User Says Thank You to JetCat For This Useful Post:
ShrinkDoc (06-05-18)
Old 08-21-18, 07:24 PM
WNC
Rookie

Originally Posted by anniverse View Post
Well when it happened to my first Honda Vehicle I passed it off as ONETIME.
But when it happened to my Lexus gs300 1999 I got worried and spoke to
quite a few Parts Sales people and some Mechanics and they Agree with me.
Anyway I did all my oil changes since I bought my Lexus Ex-lease at 31,000 miles
and did not have any issues with oil leaks till SEARS did one due to my ill health.
That was at 112,000 Miles with Synthetic and that is when the Problem strted.
THIS IS NO OLD WIVES TALE?????????????????????????
No problem for me. My 2008 ES 350 has over 210,000 miles on it. Nothing but Mobil 1 Synthetic since it was new! Never had the first problem with the engine. Still running strong!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All About Oil, Additives, and Oil Filters Superthread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: