Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 08:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
What does code33 - Open in air mix damper position sensor circuit. Or, open or short in air mix servomotor circuit. Or, air mix servomotor locked mean? I get medium cool air still on r12. Was going to have freeze 12 put in or maybe convert. But saw this code so know i don't know.
That is referring to the blend door - the door behind the dash that changes between hot and cool air... Has nothing to do with the amount of refrigerant in the system...

Chances are the motor is dead...

Don't have the diagram in front of me, but probably not a lot of fun to get to - its behind the dash...
Old 05-03-11, 05:39 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
That is referring to the blend door - the door behind the dash that changes between hot and cool air... Has nothing to do with the amount of refrigerant in the system...

Chances are the motor is dead...

Don't have the diagram in front of me, but probably not a lot of fun to get to - its behind the dash...
Thanks for the info. Is it worth fixing and if i do about how much can i expect to pay?

The joy of owning a classic.

Thanks
Old 05-03-11, 09:21 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Thanks for the info. Is it worth fixing and if i do about how much can i expect to pay?

The joy of owning a classic.

Thanks
Worth fixing? Sure, if you want the A/C and heat to work properly???

Cost - good question... not that familiar with the parts location on the LS's... I'm sure you could manage it yourself if you like taking things apart... Some cars require a good portion of the dash to come out, but on the LS, you may be able to get to it with just removing the panels above your feet...
Old 05-04-11, 12:08 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
Worth fixing? Sure, if you want the A/C and heat to work properly???

Cost - good question... not that familiar with the parts location on the LS's... I'm sure you could manage it yourself if you like taking things apart... Some cars require a good portion of the dash to come out, but on the LS, you may be able to get to it with just removing the panels above your feet...
I am guessing its under the passenger said. I called my lexus dealer and they won't work on ones this old. May have to ask my local shops if they can work on that part. Sure they will.

Thanks for all your help.
Old 05-05-11, 09:08 AM
ef8sir1988
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have a 99 ls400 with a p0308 cylinder 8 misfire code. It only triggers when I drive past 80mph. I've read many article on this forum and tried. Many different searches but none has helped. I've swapped coilpacks and measured the ohms on the injector and its all the same. It also has a slight shivering when I start the car in the morning. I was thinking about changing out that injector still hoping it is clogged. Do you think this would be a good idea or any input you might have. Thanks in advance for any help
Old 05-05-11, 09:39 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by ef8sir1988
Hi I have a 99 ls400 with a p0308 cylinder 8 misfire code. It only triggers when I drive past 80mph. I've read many article on this forum and tried. Many different searches but none has helped. I've swapped coilpacks and measured the ohms on the injector and its all the same. It also has a slight shivering when I start the car in the morning. I was thinking about changing out that injector still hoping it is clogged. Do you think this would be a good idea or any input you might have. Thanks in advance for any help
I hate to be blatantly obvious, but, have you replaced or swapped the spark plug?

Also, are we sure that its an 80 mph thing, or is it perhaps dependent upon coolant temp?
Old 05-06-11, 01:00 PM
luda42688
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Break noise!!! when i go to pull out of my driveway or out of work, when i first step on the breaks theres a loud clunk noise. my guess is the the pistons froze up and they break loose upon first breaking.

Any idea?
Old 05-06-11, 02:46 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Originally Posted by luda42688
Break noise!!! when i go to pull out of my driveway or out of work, when i first step on the breaks theres a loud clunk noise. my guess is the the pistons froze up and they break loose upon first breaking.

Any idea?
May just be normal...

from the front or rear? What kind of car? Disc brakes all around?

If it has drums in the rear, then its the drums adjusting themselves...

If it isn't rear drums, and it has rotors all around, then a couple things - one, the spring plate that holds the pad in place may be broken or worn, or, it could just be sticky... Either way, not a huge worry... Might be worth looking at - pull the wheels and have some experienced look at the spring clips... You can also get some brake pad lube to keep the pad from sticking to the caliper like it most likely is...
Old 05-12-11, 11:19 AM
bobtobin
Driver School Candidate

Default Eletrical Problem

I have a 93 LS400 with 174,500 miles runs great but one problem my tac and speedometer occassionally don't work, the needles don't move sometimes and i get flickering from the instrument control. What can be the problem
Thanks for any info or help
Old 05-13-11, 10:30 AM
radiohound
Driver School Candidate

Default 93 LS400 hesitation

hi:

have an engine hesitation/cutting out problem that's driving me nuts and making the car undriveable.

Car starts and idles just fine. Revs in park like crazy. Under load, at about 1500 rpm it just cuts out, like I am turning the ignition switch on and off ... I can ease up on the throttle and it comes back ... but it makes the car pretty much undriveable. Recent plugs, wires, timing belt, CPS, and #2 cam sensor.

So far, I have changed the #2 coil, fuel pump relay, coolant temperature switch, cleaned the throttle body, which was pretty foul ... but it is still cutting out ...

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
pm me at radiohound@aol.com

frank
Old 05-13-11, 08:25 PM
RuninRoach
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

had similar problem in my BMW and it started happening after rainstorm. Mechanic looked at it and saw the air filter was soaked with water in the air box...he dried it up, put a new filter in....no joy. Then did the coils....no joy. After doing that the BMW finally threw the right codes that the air flow sensors were shot because of the wetness....might want to check those....
Old 05-14-11, 05:13 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

hi, my 97 sc300 turns over hard but doesnt start. i think its fuel related but not sure. how do you check the codes? and and what do i look for when checking if the fuel pump isnt getting power? thx.
Old 05-14-11, 05:22 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

ok my car has been sitting so when i hook up the scan tool. it says there are no records. smdh. i dnt know what to do. is there anyone on long island who can come check this for me?
Old 05-15-11, 03:58 PM
Tonester
Driver School Candidate

On the coolant reservoir cap, there is a t-connector. There is an overflow hose that is connected to the radiator on one side, but there is nothing connected on the other side of the T. What is supposed to be connected there?
Old 05-20-11, 02:58 PM
ncfx
Driver School Candidate

96 SC400. New Timing belt pulleys Dist & rotors plugs & wires, Water pump Runs like a Champ. CEL code TO340 - Weak cam sensor signal - The sensor checks good. Any suggestions to turn off CEL. Thanks very much for any help.

Quick Reply: Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)