Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne) - Page 22 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Technical Help (by Mitsuguy and ArmyofOne)

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-22-16, 02:14 AM   #316
Johnknee
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York
Posts: 35
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Is it hard to remove a driver's side fender on a 2012 RX 350?
Johnknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-16, 08:51 AM   #317
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
 
ArmyofOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Van Alstyne, TX
Posts: 6,769
Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I would guess it is. Most cars these days require bumper, headlight, grille and fender liner removal before the fender can be changed...IF its a front. "If its a rear panel, its a cut out old and weld in new" process.
ArmyofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-16, 01:02 PM   #318
jmonkey523
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: flordia
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default replacing the upper oil pan on my 06 gs300....

do I need to drop the sub frame to do this job
jmonkey523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-16, 07:34 PM   #319
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
mitsuguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

yes, you will need to drop the subframe to replace the upper oil pan on any GS300

it is probably almost as easy to pull the motor
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 05:57 PM   #320
Twinkie2000
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 349
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2006 Lexus RX330: Experiencing Peculiar Overheating

Hi!

I have a peculiar cooling system on my 2006 RX330.

Here are the vehicle specifics:
- 2006
- RX330
- 156k Miles
- Canada Built
- No tow package, but has transmission cooler built into radiator
- All maintenance up to date (including timing belt and water pump @116k miles through Lexus dealership)
- No CEL
- No Coolant leakage/seepage/residue after radiator replacement

Context
Last week my wife was driving approx 80 miles, then all of a sudden the A/C turned warm. My wife pulling into a parking lot, turned the engine off, then 'boom', steam poured out and coolant everywhere! After she had the vehicle towed home, I inspected the vehicle and noticed there was an 8" crack/opening in the plastic portion of the radiator on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Fast forward this weekend, I replaced the the radiator with an Lexus/Toyota OEM unit along with upper and lower radiator hoses. Filled it up with nearly 2 gallons of 'pink' Lexus/Toyota coolant; spent 20 minutes burping the system, and all appeared good. Went to take it for a drive and noticed the temp gauge climbing to the 4th tick mark and proceeded to turn the a/c off, temperature balanced out, then temperature began to rise while stopped/idling.

In addition, both cooling and a/c fan are operational and come on simultaneously/independently; system overflow tank in between low and full; spent 10 minutes burping the system with no change in coolant level.

My thoughts
- Possible thermostat malfunction? Coolant is passing through both top and bottom hoses, with each being warm/hot to the touch...
- Radiator Fan Module Going Bad? The fans are engaging/disengaging when a/c compressor kicks on...
- Coolant Temperature Sensor? The coolant dash gauge displays the fluctuating temp...

I'm at a total loss...so thought experts with experience can provide additional insight!

Looking forward to any and all thoughts!
Twinkie2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-17, 07:24 PM   #321
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
mitsuguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie2000 View Post
Hi!

I have a peculiar cooling system on my 2006 RX330.

Here are the vehicle specifics:
- 2006
- RX330
- 156k Miles
- Canada Built
- No tow package, but has transmission cooler built into radiator
- All maintenance up to date (including timing belt and water pump @116k miles through Lexus dealership)
- No CEL
- No Coolant leakage/seepage/residue after radiator replacement

Context
Last week my wife was driving approx 80 miles, then all of a sudden the A/C turned warm. My wife pulling into a parking lot, turned the engine off, then 'boom', steam poured out and coolant everywhere! After she had the vehicle towed home, I inspected the vehicle and noticed there was an 8" crack/opening in the plastic portion of the radiator on the passenger side of the vehicle.

Fast forward this weekend, I replaced the the radiator with an Lexus/Toyota OEM unit along with upper and lower radiator hoses. Filled it up with nearly 2 gallons of 'pink' Lexus/Toyota coolant; spent 20 minutes burping the system, and all appeared good. Went to take it for a drive and noticed the temp gauge climbing to the 4th tick mark and proceeded to turn the a/c off, temperature balanced out, then temperature began to rise while stopped/idling.

In addition, both cooling and a/c fan are operational and come on simultaneously/independently; system overflow tank in between low and full; spent 10 minutes burping the system with no change in coolant level.

My thoughts
- Possible thermostat malfunction? Coolant is passing through both top and bottom hoses, with each being warm/hot to the touch...
- Radiator Fan Module Going Bad? The fans are engaging/disengaging when a/c compressor kicks on...
- Coolant Temperature Sensor? The coolant dash gauge displays the fluctuating temp...

I'm at a total loss...so thought experts with experience can provide additional insight!

Looking forward to any and all thoughts!
I think the first couple places I would look - I would make doubly sure the system was bled completely - maybe even go as far as to get the vehicle on an angle with the front higher than the rear while bleeding.

Pressure test to make sure there are no additional leaks.

Block test to ensure no head gasket issue.

Check for flow - use an infrared temp gun to see if coolant is actually flowing. An overheat can cause issues with the thermostat. A bad water pump can cause lack of flow also, even though it may not leak.
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-17, 11:35 PM   #322
soggyjay
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a 2008 Lexus GS 350 with about 90k miles. My water pump was leaking and making a terrible noise - got quotes from dealer and a few other shops for $800 and after seeing posts here decided to replace it myself. All went well and I replaced it just fine - however I accidentally ran the car with no engine coolant in it for maybe a minute, a minute and a half max after putting everything back. I did fill the radiator with coolant after my mistake but it will no longer start.

It sometimes will turn over and give me a Check VSC notification. Also, the electronics will slowly start to die after trying to start and the locks will struggle to lock/unlock. REALLLLLLLLY hoping I didn't blow a head gasket and turn this into an even more expensive repair. Anyone have any idea what might be happening? I don't think any fuses were blown and the battery should be fine - I will check it tomorrow. Think it could possibly be an alternator or starter? The strange electricity issue after trying to start has me puzzled.
soggyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 07:27 AM   #323
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
mitsuguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Definitely check the electrical system. Blown head gasket would lead to overheating and the engine not running smooth, not electrical issues.

Yours sounds like alternator, battery, fuse(s) or wiring. Maybe you shirted the post on the alternator to ground which will blow the main fuse...
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 08:48 AM   #324
soggyjay
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Pulled out the fuses I could to check and none were blown. Check batter with volt meter and it was at 11.9 - going to charge it with my girlfriends car and hoping it works.
soggyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 08:57 AM   #325
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
mitsuguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,388
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggyjay View Post
Pulled out the fuses I could to check and none were blown. Check batter with volt meter and it was at 11.9 - going to charge it with my girlfriends car and hoping it works.
The large main fuse can't be removed easily.

11.9v is an alternator not charging, most likely
mitsuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-17, 11:45 AM   #326
soggyjay
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: TX
Posts: 11
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuguy View Post
The large main fuse can't be removed easily.

11.9v is an alternator not charging, most likely

Jumped the battery and it started. Been able to stop and start the car several times without charging again. Battery voltage now reading around 12.6 after being off for ~10 minutes. If the alternator is broken, will it slowly drop back down to 11.9?
soggyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-17, 11:59 AM   #327
osomoso
Pole Position
 
osomoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 214
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question LX 470 gas smell.

Our LX is pretty smelly once we fill it with gas. The smell is coming from the fuel tank area. Been under the truck and pulled rear seat and inspected everything. Still cannot pinpoint the issue. Any suggestions?
osomoso is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MI Tte lip figthestig 2Gen GS430 / 400/ 300 Classifieds (98-05) 8 12-28-15 08:33 AM


Tags
ac , acceleration , air , askaway , diagram , door , engine , is350 , lexus , mix , sc400 , tech , technicians , whine , whining

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: