Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus Oil filters are a rip off

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-02, 05:46 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus Oil filters are a rip off

i just went to the Torrance lexus dealer to pick a filter up for my car. dam they said it was 14 bucks. i'm like screw it. so i go next door to the Toyota dealer and picked up a filter for a toyota supra. only 5 bucks.
Old 08-07-02, 06:20 PM
LexFather

My GS 4 filetr at Lexus was $9.
Old 08-07-02, 07:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default cheap

A couple of years ago, Lexus sold an oil filter that was powder coated for 19.00. ONly one they offered at the time.
Why powder coated? Do not know, but I asked many people and got the same response. Do not know.

I was told that the Toyota oil filter is exact on the inside where it counts. Only the case coating was different.
SO I buy the Toyota filters for around 3.?? each for a case price.

THe new Lexus filters are no longer coated and is the same as the Toyota filter.
So im told.
Old 08-07-02, 07:19 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

If you're going to buy an expensive luxury car, why would you penny-pinch when it comes to something like the oil filter? I will even admit that you could save $16 by getting the Toyota filter which may be exactly the same inside. But is it worth that if you ever have a problem and they give you a hassle about the warranty because you used non-Lexus parts? Now I'm not saying they'd win in the end, but is it even worth the potential hassle? If you can afford a Lexus, you can afford the stinkin' oil filter.
Old 08-07-02, 07:29 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default wake up

A manufacturer cannot deny a warranty because someone used a different brand of oil filter. PERIOD. What about Fram, Mighty, Purolator, Pennzoil, Group 7, Mobil, Wix ,etc.......the list goes on.
Lexus does not make their oil filters, neither does Toyota. Could be Wix or one of even more of the above brands.
Just because someone purchases a Lexus does not mean that we should blindly purchase Lexus products because it's from the dealer.
I do an oil change once a month due to my mileage. Sure I can afford a Lexus filter, but WHY???????When the Toyota brand is IDENTICAL except maybe for the part # and the aftermarket has equal or better filters?
I can buy Toyota Type IV trans fluid at Lexus for $$40.00+ or the same exact can for $29.00 at Toyota. Even less if you know people.
Heck, of all the items that I purchased from Lexus, all of them came in a box labeled 'Toyota".

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-07-02 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-07-02, 08:30 PM
itsallgood
Lead Lap

I thought the oil filter you get at Lexus says "Toyota" on them...if you look at the ES300 and the Camary, their basically the same cars, just that the ES has more cosmetic appearance to them...

Aloha
Old 08-07-02, 09:13 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for clarification. There is no Lexus oil filter. The factory filter used in the GS has the "Toyota" brand. You will not find the word Lexus anywhere on the filter.

If you have the same brand (Toyota), same part number (Made in Japan 90915-20004 or Made in USA 90915-YZZB5), but different prices (Lexus dealers charge an arm more), would you still buy from a Lexus dealer?

Then, there's the issue of other brands. Factory warranty allows other brands of oil filter to be used. There's no question or doubt about that. If you chose to use them, you need not worry because you're covered by the warranty.

The Automatic Transmission Fluid (Toyota Type T-IV) costs 4X more than Dexron. Even if it costs 20X more, I know I would still buy it since there's no other alternative that is covered by warranty if you chose to replace your own fluid. But if I can get the same stuff directly from Toyota dealers and its cheaper, I don't see a plausible reason why I have to buy it from Lexus. Warranty problem? Don't think so, the manual specifies Toyota Type T-IV and that's what Toyota and Lexus sells.

The point here is there's no need to blindly buy from the dealer just because you have a $50K car.
Old 08-07-02, 09:29 PM
Drukinfoolio
Pole Position

I work at a Toyoto/Lexus in norther Cal., believe it or not most of the parts inside lexus are the same as those of toyota. All that were paying for is the brand name.
All the lexus that we service we use toyota parts(ie oil filter, lube, some air filters, clips, brake pads, etc.). Lexus and toyota is not different from each other at all!
Old 08-07-02, 10:18 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

didn't think this thread was gonna get that many replies, but wow. hey rich people don't become rich buying expensive stuff. most rich people are the cheapest people around. thats how they become wealthy. they learn to save and shop around. in no way am i saying i'm rich.
Old 08-07-02, 10:30 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

"If you have the same brand (Toyota), same part number (Made in Japan 90915-20004 or Made in USA 90915-YZZB5), "

I used to go to Toyota dealership to get oil or part for my car, so is the supra filter is the same for the lexus gs4? what year of supra do I ask at the dealership? are they all the same? I don't want to get the wrong filter. I think all lexus use the same filter (Except for SUV)

anh
Old 08-07-02, 10:41 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

well i have a first gen gs300 so thats why i got the supra oil filter. same engine.
Old 08-07-02, 11:35 PM
SharpLS-96
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Jmai22
well i have a first gen gs300 so thats why i got the supra oil filter. same engine.

The good Toyota filters are the ones made by Denso in Japan. Just make sure they say Denso and made in Japan on the filter and your good to go. Be careful cause there the ones that say Toyota made in USA are of poor quality. (These are cheap, completely different fragile element inside!) If your not sure just look in the filter and you can tell the quality of it.

Click on the pictures to get a better look. >>>>>>>
http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/t...ter/index.html

Now as far as
90915-20004-Lexus V-8 filter
90915-YZZB5-Toyota V-8 filter
These two are the same filters except 20004 has a orange rubber seal gasket and YZZB5 has a black gasket. Both are by Denso and made in Japan. If you want to pay higher prices at Lexus just for the peace of mind then go ahead but it’s really the exact same filter at Toyota for half the price if not more.

We all work hard for our money so why spent it foolishly. An educated consumer is the best consumer.
PERIOD

Last edited by SharpLS-96; 08-08-02 at 11:54 AM.
Old 08-08-02, 12:45 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default outstanding

Sharp
Very good information, thank you.
Great pics on the Supra site.
Old 08-08-02, 01:01 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

hey sharp super site man. yeah i have the one on the right. but i think that sites a bit off 8-10 bucks. for the lexus one??? i wonder where i can get these at for this price. next time i guess i'll go for the one on the left.

on a side not. i poured in 6 quarts today when i was changing oil and wasn't really paying attention and realized i had poured in 6 quarts. when i check the stick it was at the FULL mark. how bad can this be to the engine?? is there anything i can do besides remove the plug and take oil out and pour it back in. i really don't want to do this.
Old 08-08-02, 07:06 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

If I remember correctly, my lexus sells the denso filter for around $10. that is what I paid last time

Quick Reply: Lexus Oil filters are a rip off