Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Please help me diagnose a problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 06:36 PM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me diagnose a problem

Car: 2006 IS350
Style of driving: First 1 1/2 years drove normal to hard. for the next 1 1/2 years, almost normal because of the 20" rims. Recently I have been driving hard again.
Problem: Oil leak (car has smoke coming from under), losing oil (quite a lot, went from a little over the max to down to under the minimum.

Initial diagnose by a mechanic
: I went at 5:30pm today and they were closing for July 4th so diagnose was not thorough. Initial diagnose says, broken seal between engine and transmission.
What I did before this started happening:I went for a really spirited driving through the mountains last night. Often hitting redline and staying on 3rd and 4th.

Could the initial diagnose be right? I am going to another shop on Monday and see what they say. As for now I have a quart of oil for Monday's drive and the car will be sitting here for the weekend. Shop 1 says it is approximately $500 for the service because they have to dismount transmission.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Thanks.

Update: As I was driving to the dealership today, when making a right turn, it lost gear at 4th for a second. It went on neutral for a second and when I let off and gassed again, it was back to normal.

Last edited by xHartawann; 07-06-09 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 10:41 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Damn that sucks
Old 07-04-09, 03:58 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

the only way is to look for yourself... it sounds like a reasonable diagnosis, but keep in mind there are multiple places an engine can leak oil, and the rear main seal is by far not the most common...

what you can do yourself is to go to an auto parts store and buy a dye kit... you put some dye in the engine oil, then use a black light in your garage or shaded area to see where it is seeping out... once you put the dye in, go for a little drive, then park it, put it up on jackstands or ramps, then use the black light all over... where ever you see traces of the dye, you have an oil leak... if you see it at the rear of the engine, coming out of the seam between the engine and trans, they are probably right, however, you will want to make sure it is not coming from above that area and leaking down into the area...

other possible oil leaks are valve covers, cam seals, oil pan, and I believe the variable valve timing has an area or hose that is prone to leaking as well...
Old 07-04-09, 04:35 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Hmm I will try that dye method. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-04-09, 01:01 PM
scooter58
Lexus Test Driver

always do the cheapest things first..
Old 07-04-09, 01:11 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How many miles do you have on the IS? How many times did you past the redline and how many RPM?
Old 07-04-09, 07:40 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scooter58
always do the cheapest things first..
always do the most serious things first...
Old 07-05-09, 01:37 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by VVT-i
How many miles do you have on the IS? How many times did you past the redline and how many RPM?
It is at around 55k. I didn't really pass redline that much, always shifted at or slightly before redline. And at most during the life of the car, probably 25 times that it hit redline. Maybe during the donut run, it was at redline? But it wasnt that long. However, I did it about 10-15 minutes after the hard run.

BTW, Where can I buy a blacklight locally?
Old 07-05-09, 10:21 AM
RCPnoi
Lead Lap

Redlining the car on an upshift doesnt really cause to much problems ints not good but its not bad either....
I've been drifting cars for the better part of 4 years now and 6 cars later
i never had any problems with oil leaks due to red lining....now if you
redline on the down shift...theres a cause for concern....you can blow seals, rings,and gaskets and even blow a hole in your block.

My IS has about 70K on it right now and i drive it hard all the time, go out drifting and i do redline it quite a bit....in which the rev limiter takes over and protects the engine.
the only time the rev limeter wont be able to do its job is during a down shift.

I reccomend doing what mitsuguy said and do the dye approach...you could just have a worn rear main seal due to premature break down or it could be leaking uptop and dripping down to the same location between the tranny and engine block which makes it look like the rear main seal.

Good Luck
and hope the problem isnt to expensive
Old 07-05-09, 11:54 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

You do realize with only 55k miles on your car, you are still covered under the powertrain warranty.... Dont mention how you drive the car, just bring it into a dealer and complain of the leak. The common oil leak areas on these cars is the front timing cover, and the #1 oil pan, right at the back of the engine (making it appear to be a rear main seal)...
Old 07-06-09, 02:47 AM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RTIS250
You do realize with only 55k miles on your car, you are still covered under the powertrain warranty.... Dont mention how you drive the car, just bring it into a dealer and complain of the leak. The common oil leak areas on these cars is the front timing cover, and the #1 oil pan, right at the back of the engine (making it appear to be a rear main seal)...
Oh crap thanks for reminding me. I forgot the drivetrain was 6yr/70k miles.
Old 07-06-09, 01:28 PM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Update: As I was driving to the dealership today, when making a right turn, it lost gear at 4th for a second. It went on neutral for a second and when I let off and gassed again, it was back to normal.
Old 07-07-09, 06:36 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by xHartawann
Jeez.. keep us updated as to what the problems is/was.
Old 07-07-09, 11:17 PM
xHartawann
Lexus Champion

Dealer is going to drop the transmission, possibly the rear main seal. That is what they said. My car won't be done until Friday (dropping the transmission)
Old 07-07-09, 11:54 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by xHartawann
Dealer is going to drop the transmission, possibly the rear main seal. That is what they said. My car won't be done until Friday (dropping the transmission)
Im willing to bet it will end up being the #1 oil pan that is leaking I only say that because i did one last week.. looked like a rear main seal leak, took the trans out, ended up being the upper oil pan. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose a problem