Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

timing belt change change + fixed oil leak=engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-09, 12:46 AM
jb904
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing belt change change + fixed oil leak=engine noise

so my 98 ls400 is in the shop to change out the timing belt/waterpump/tstat and fix an oil leak....to fix the leak they had to replace the valve cover gasket and they claim they had to replace the camshaft tube assembly "big bulky part at the end" (part number 13050-50010) cause oil was leaking from there as well.......was the camshaft part really necessary?...i ordered the part myself and after looking at it im not sure where oil would leak from on that part....also, why is my engine now making a faint clicking noise while idle and when the engine is revved up? guy at the shop pointed to the area where the camshaft part was replaced but for some reason is stumped as why its making that sound. any suggestions to the culprit? or maybe its a coincidence and somethin else is wrong?
Old 02-24-09, 05:42 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why they replace the camshaft (vvt-i cam gear) tube. I only replace the camshaft seal when it's leak,but still have to remove the valve cover to do it.
The shop can isolate the whining noise by remove the fan belt. If the noise go away then they need to check whatever the belt is driven. If the noise still there, then it come from behind the timing covers that they just worked on it. Or the noise already there,but you never notice until you spend a lot of money,now you start to pay more attention about your car...
Old 03-05-09, 08:23 AM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

The VVT-i timing tube is oil activated and has a internal O ring oil seal.

The noise might just be a slightly different tone of the new part. I installed a new VVT-i pulley on my wife's GS300 and yes I heard a different tone in the motor when it was idling.

If you don't mind, how much was the labor on your job?
Old 03-09-09, 04:48 AM
jb904
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankT
The VVT-i timing tube is oil activated and has a internal O ring oil seal.

The noise might just be a slightly different tone of the new part. I installed a new VVT-i pulley on my wife's GS300 and yes I heard a different tone in the motor when it was idling.

If you don't mind, how much was the labor on your job?
My car was initially in the shop for the timing belt/ waterpump etc. Then that is when they found the leak. I provided the part for the cam gear and they went and installed it. $533 is the total i paid for all labor. i guess it worked out since they were already in that area it just sucked that i had to shell out a lil more money for the part.