Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

How much for maintanence?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-10, 08:01 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much for maintanence?

Hello,
I always ask silly questions. So here's another:

How much would it be to flush out my transmission, radiator, (possibly my brakes too?) while getting an oil change and changing all four brake pads? I hardly drive my car so I change my oil more frequently. It's about to hit 60K.

In addition, should I just let Lexus factory perform this or can I just go to an independent or Toyota dealership for this? I know my RX uses Super Long Life coolant (red? Pink?) and not regular Kragen/Grand Autoparts green ones...
Old 07-12-10, 11:40 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Originally Posted by HarrierRX300
Hello,
I always ask silly questions. So here's another:

How much would it be to flush out my transmission, radiator, (possibly my brakes too?) while getting an oil change and changing all four brake pads? I hardly drive my car so I change my oil more frequently. It's about to hit 60K.

In addition, should I just let Lexus factory perform this or can I just go to an independent or Toyota dealership for this? I know my RX uses Super Long Life coolant (red? Pink?) and not regular Kragen/Grand Autoparts green ones...
Toyota dealerships will do it, and more than likely be cheaper. There really isn't anything specific done - it is just general maintenance.

You could also try and find a 3rd Party Lexus mechanic that will do it and see what they charge.

I had a 3rd party lexus shop quote me ~$600 for the full 60k inspection on my car.
Old 07-12-10, 10:59 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

I was thinking of bringing it to an independent shop:

http://www.mymechanicsf.net/ or http://www.garage415.com/

Are they good? They should be cheaper than the dealership, right?

Thanks
Old 07-13-10, 11:10 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

I was thinking of bringing it to an independent shop:

http://www.mymechanicsf.net/ or http://www.garage415.com/

Are they good? They should be cheaper than the dealership, right?

Thanks
The Garage received some good reviews. Just call a few different places, including a Lexus & Toyota dealer, and see what their quotes are.

Also, search around the Forum, especially the West Coast Specific Forum, as there are a lot of people in this forum from CA that could recommend some shops around the SF area.
Old 07-23-10, 06:24 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Alrighty, just came back from the mechanic shop and received superior service. Price for the major service came to $400 which includes, brake fluid, transmission fluid, synthetic oil, coolant fluid, and inside/outside filters. Price is ok I hope, but it's already done. The only recommendation was to change out my rotors soon. I had brought my OEM brake pads hoping for a quick swap but they said it's better to replace the rotors if I'm going to put new brakes. They didn't suggest turning the rotors because each costs $25?? Any recommendations for rotors or should I contact Carson for OEM rotors. How much are they running these days? Brembo? OEM?

Thanks
Old 07-24-10, 07:10 AM
E6BAV8R
Pole Position

Alrighty, just came back from the mechanic shop and received superior service. Price for the major service came to $400 which includes, brake fluid, transmission fluid, synthetic oil, coolant fluid, and inside/outside filters. Price is ok I hope, but it's already done. The only recommendation was to change out my rotors soon. I had brought my OEM brake pads hoping for a quick swap but they said it's better to replace the rotors if I'm going to put new brakes. They didn't suggest turning the rotors because each costs $25?? Any recommendations for rotors or should I contact Carson for OEM rotors. How much are they running these days? Brembo? OEM?

Thanks
Need more information about your car first. Although, if you are talking about the RX 300 (as in your name) than it may be time for new rotors. How many miles, etc... Are the rotors on the car still the originals?
Old 07-24-10, 12:10 PM
HarrierRX300
Lead Lap

Sorry. Here's the info:
2001 RX300 original rotors, 56700 miles
Front Brakes: 5mm remaining
Rear Brakes: 4mm remaining

Why is the rear less? Do I need to change all for rotors if I'm changing OEM brake pads?

Thanks guys.