Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Engine coolant liquid spilled all over my engine bay and dried up...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-08, 08:14 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine coolant liquid spilled all over my engine bay and dried up...

When I got into an accident a couple months ago, the engine coolant system got damaged and they had to replace it. I am guessing while they were replacing the engine coolant container the remainder in the tube/piping spilled into the engine and dried up. The body shop decided not to clean this up and so I have a pretty messy engine bay as you can see. Now I told the body shop about this and they said they would take care of it, but I am concerned that they might damage something if they don't be careful. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Is this easy to clean or is it a difficult job? I wasn't as worried until my an Audi service advisor told me that you have to be really careful otherwise the car can get really messed up. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Engine coolant liquid spilled all over my engine bay and dried up...-10152008162.jpg  
Old 10-30-08, 08:14 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

Old 10-30-08, 10:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I had the same thing happen to my G35. I just used the simple green spray to remove as much as I could. I dont think its corrosive or anything. Its just gonna release that pleasant smell for a while until it totally dries
Old 10-31-08, 11:38 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

A safe bet is to purchase 2 cans of CRC electrical parts cleaner. It beats cleaning the dried on coolant with a water based product. CRC Lectra Motive Cleaner can be purchased at your local auto supply store.. Good luck

Lectra-Motive Cleaner is the fast, easy way to clean nonsensitive electrical equipment. It dissolves and flushes away grease, oil, dirt, and leaves no residue. Eliminates dismantling of most electrical equipment. Use for cleaning air conditioners, batteries, motors, portable tools, etc. Contains no CFCs. 19 oz. net weight aerosol.
Attached Thumbnails Engine coolant liquid spilled all over my engine bay and dried up...-imagerequest.jpg  
Old 10-31-08, 01:19 PM
NINEZeRO
Lexus Test Driver

So I just went out and tried wiping off with a wet paper towel. It was pretty amazing how easily it came off. I used 2 pieces of paper towel and nearly got everything off. Now I just need to clean the area that I can't reach with my hands. Maybe that spray can do the trick.
Old 10-31-08, 04:02 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

the coolant won't hurt much, one thing i would suggest is to be extremely careful when washing around the ignition coil area's audi has had a lot of ignition coils go bad due to water getting in them causing misfires. hope you enjoy your s5! i would highly recommend removing the coils plugging the sparkplug holes with rags then rinse the area, audi parts are expensive!!!!
Old 11-04-08, 03:27 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with audi2nr, I do it exactly as he said. Once you can get the stuff out of the way, hit it with a detail brush in all the places you can't get your hands. You can buy a simple brush at any auto parts store or even Walmart.