Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Clearing up the "what to wash windows with" conflict......

Old 02-15-02, 01:43 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Clearing up the "what to wash windows with" conflict......

I just finished detailing my SC today, and i read the older posts about cleaning the windows. It seems that a lot of people have trouble w/ water spots and streaks (so DID i), and didn't know how to fix this problem. Well, i didn't have the spotting to bad, but i had a bitc* of a time w/ streaking. I tried just water, Windex (reg. and streak free ), and Windex type products and nothing worked. In fact, i think when i used the Windex, the streak marks got worse. I would also keep rubbing the window for like 1-2 min. after it looked like i had gotten all of the cleaner off. So, today i decided to try the vinegar method. I used a bottle of Heinz distilled white vinegar and paper towels. THE RESULT IS INCREDIBLE. There are ABSOLUTLY NO streak marks or spots to be found. The windows r sooo clean that it almost looks like i have taken them out. To anyone that is having trouble cleaning their windows: I would definatly try this method 1st before u go out and buy some expensive cleaning material, polishes, etc.. The only disappointing thing i have to say, is that i am planning to get tint soon, so i will not be able to use the vinegar on the inside. (I'm just disappointed that i didn't try this method sooner) Hope this helps and good luck to everyone in their quest to get the CLEANEST windows!

BTW: When u clean them, try wiping horizontally on one side of the window and vertically on the other side. That way if u see streaking, u will know what side it is on. Also, all u have to do w/ the vinegar is wipe it on the window, and then take a dry paper towel, and wipe it off. When it looks like all the vinegar is gone, IT IS. You don't have to keep scrubbing it (like u have to w/ Windex) to get the window clean. I also rolled my windows down before cleaning them and cleaned the slot at the bottom of the doorsill where the windows goes down into. This will get all the dirt out, etc. so when u roll them up/down, they won't get scratched or dirty
Old 02-15-02, 03:19 PM
400DGRZ
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

No smell?
Old 02-15-02, 03:36 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not really. Its faint for a while after u have finished, but it goes away. Just leave ur sunroof tilted and do it in an open area. I did mine in the garage, but opened both doors. It would probably be even fainter and last less if u did it outside. U could probably open ur sunroof all the way too if it is too much for u.
Old 02-15-02, 05:29 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detailer trick for a long time. Don't have to use straight vinegar. Unless of course you like the smell. Bon Ami is another old time solution. Depends how stubborn those spots are.