Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

SC400 wont stay running

Old 07-30-07, 05:02 PM
zakkubin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC400 wont stay running

About a month ago my check engine lights came on. I checked the codes and found that I needed to replace my main O2 sensors. I have since drove a different car until a few days ago when I finally received the parts in. This is where the problems began. When I started the sc up to move it to the shop it would not run correctly. I thought it was just because it had sat up, but even after several minutes of running it's still acting up. I went ahead and replaced the two main o2 sensors but this of course did not fix the problem.

Sometimes it will just die by itself, others it will try to idle but keepings changing rpms. If I give it gas the car just cuts out. Sometimes I can give it just the right amount of gas and it will run perfect.(high rpm) However, its so bad that I cannot drive it more than about 30 feet without it dieing. Also I found that for the first 5 seconds the car runs perfect, but as soon as the engine/track light comes on it starts to cut out.

I replaced the fuel filter and I can hear the fuel pump. Also about 10k miles ago plugs,wires,cap&rotor,timing belt,water pump,ac, was all changed.

I have done my best to search on here, and I now know that my Cats are plugged. They were glowing red hot after I shut the car off. So I know those need to be replaced. But from what I've been reading this causes a loss of power. Can they do what my car is doing?

Based on advise to others would it be wise to replace the two ignition coils?

Thanks

92 Lexus sc400 199,000 miles.
Old 07-30-07, 11:01 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

In order for the cats to glow red hot, you have to be dumping raw fuel into them. So you obviously have a massive misfire. It could be due to lack of spark (dead coil, loose connector, broken wire, etc), or a stuck open fuel injector. I would inspect your coils and wiring, and make sure its all working properly. Start with the obvious and most common, and work your way through. Dont go throwing parts at your car.. you might be fighting an uphill battle.
Old 07-31-07, 12:28 PM
zakkubin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. I'll post what fixes it.

In regards to me replacing the cats. Will these be fine?
http://shop.catalyticonverters.com/b...y=1&make_code=

I'm not wanting to make it loud or anything. I just want it to run, but if I can gain some efficiency that would be nice.

Saying this would it be ok to remove the sub cat and replace with just piping?