Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.
View Poll Results: Would you get K&N air filter?
Yeah sure
63.72%
No thanks, cheap FRAM for me
6.40%
No thanks, genuine Toyota parts for me
22.87%
No thanks, I buy another brand of air filter (pls list what u use)
7.01%
Voters: 328. You may not vote on this poll

K&N Air filter: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 10:16 AM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The throttle is much smoother after I changed out to a K&N on my GS300. When you jump on it to merge on the freeway, the lag seems to have disappeared. I bought mine on amazon.
Old 03-12-07, 01:52 AM
SC300 J
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bought a Accel Kool blue and just got back from a 170 mile road trip and couldn't really tell a difference in performance but I think my gas mileage picked up alittle
Old 03-19-07, 07:01 PM
LexFather

My new K&N writeup and pics
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=271473

Thanks Ubernoob!
Old 03-19-07, 07:01 PM
LexFather

Exclamation

Originally Posted by emoshun
That has to be the most mindless statement I have seen on CL yet...
Everyone, let us try to not post anymore flaming comments, thanks.
Old 03-28-07, 09:26 PM
SW07ES
Rookie

The air filters Toyota uses today are the same triple element filters the company used 20 years ago. No cuts in quality there. Ditto in regard to other routine maintenance parts like spark plugs, plug wires, radiator caps, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc. - they the same or better quality today than they were 20 years ago. Practical example: if the bean counters at Toyota didn't care about quality, they could simply install an American car quality antifreeze couldn't they? Instead, Toyota installs a unique extra high quality antifreeze that costs the company at least $3 more per gallon, hence $3-5 more per car x 1,000,000 cars per year = an extra three to five million dollar expense for Toyota.
Old 03-29-07, 09:30 PM
Jasbmo
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SW07ES
The air filters Toyota uses today are the same triple element filters the company used 20 years ago. No cuts in quality there. Ditto in regard to other routine maintenance parts like spark plugs, plug wires, radiator caps, antifreeze, brake fluid, etc. - they the same or better quality today than they were 20 years ago. Practical example: if the bean counters at Toyota didn't care about quality, they could simply install an American car quality antifreeze couldn't they? Instead, Toyota installs a unique extra high quality antifreeze that costs the company at least $3 more per gallon, hence $3-5 more per car x 1,000,000 cars per year = an extra three to five million dollar expense for Toyota.
I can attest, it didn't freeze in the winter. I'm sure that American car quality juice does.
Old 04-29-07, 11:31 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Let's take this to another level, and I would like everybodys thoughts on this.

Low level junk parts = American / GM.
Mid level parts = Toyota.
High Level parts = Aftermarket?

Thoughts? I'm going on "not every company can do everything well". That's why there are specialized manufacturers out there.

Originally Posted by SW07ES
Old 05-01-07, 10:01 PM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

apparently Ford is trying really hard to improve their quality and is even comparing themselves with toyota and lexus now

i do believe they have come a long way from what they were a few years ago
but parts wise, i doubt quality has changed a whole lot

aftermarket parts are always a big mixed bag
there are good and bad companies out there that are honestly trying to help people or just trying to make a quick buck unethically

i think K&N is here to stay, thus a bit more trustworthy
just that their oil on the MAF problem is inherent of their design so i think its best for me to stick with OEM until i go with an intake kit
Old 05-06-07, 12:32 PM
LexFather

Yes............I have mine
Old 05-20-07, 09:21 PM
2UR-FSXE
Driver School Candidate

Toyota All the way. Srew K&N.
Old 05-23-07, 04:06 PM
JspKSoarer
Pole Position

AEM filters are good
Old 06-10-07, 06:52 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2UR-FSXE
Toyota All the way. Srew K&N.
The previous owner of my car was an Lexus dealer employee who was an older conservative guy that didn't mod his car in any shape or form which included the air filter. When I popped that K&N in there it was a difference over what I assume was a regular Toyota brand air filter which was in the car previously.
Old 06-10-07, 06:54 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb Update - Advance Auto Parts

K&N air filter worth it? Probably so even more now that Advance Auto Parts has them plus other brands for 25% off.
Old 07-03-07, 10:14 AM
kingofire
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I would get a Toyota TRD drop in filters.....it puts K&N air filters to shame and fits the box snug and tight....I personally like FRAM air filters, not only do they have a superior air flow but do a great job at filteration too. All my prior UOA's prove this and I have discovered that leaving it in for 30,000 miles even though they say replace every 12,000 miles was optimal for cars driven in normal environments(i.e. not desert enviornment or heavy towing etc...)
Old 07-04-07, 07:35 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Did you ever have problems with oil collecting on the MAF or anything like that along the intake?

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter: worth it?