Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Need help fixing the lights inside speedometer needle.

Old 02-27-02, 10:35 AM
jgrooms
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Taka,

How did you manage to take the picture of the instrument cluster while driving at 110 mph? :eek:

Yowee!!
Old 02-27-02, 09:47 PM
jcboiz
Rookie

Smile Taka needs to spill the info..... :-(

Taka,
Come on, you have everyone all hyped up!!!! How did you manage to do the needles!!!!!! Help all of us that are sick of the plain RED light. Also has anyone managed to change the color of the backround to like blue or any other color other than the yellowish white? Someone who knows the trick please help us people!!!! :-(
Old 02-27-02, 09:53 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.geocities.com/taka_sc400/index.html

simple page but i just created some description with picture.
Old 03-09-02, 10:03 PM
yov6cam
Driver

quick question, does leaving the instrument light on full(bright even when headlights are on) cause the needles to break faster? Should I set them so they dim when headlights are activated?
Old 03-11-03, 01:18 PM
spdwyvette
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

Taka -

I tried your link but it's dead.... PLEASE, PLEASE.... if someone(else) out there can answer the $10,000,000 question on how to fix these POS needle lights please chime in...

spdwyvette
(2001 Corvette, 1993 ES300)
Old 03-11-03, 07:10 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

taka, i also what to know. i think i read somewhere where someone put white tape on the needle and placed a blue bulb behind the steering wheel to light up the white tape. but wouldn't that totally offset and mess up the calibration of the needle?
Old 03-11-03, 07:12 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

you guys up there that want to use the short needles instead of the longer one also won't work. the lighter needle will weight too little and own't work
Old 03-11-03, 08:30 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Jmai22
taka, i also what to know. i think i read somewhere where someone put white tape on the needle and placed a blue bulb behind the steering wheel to light up the white tape. but wouldn't that totally offset and mess up the calibration of the needle?
hey Jmai, it's been more than a year since I have done this but at least I never notice any calibration of the needle. I'm sure I could have installed it better but since it does the job, I haven't touched since then. You can be more creative and make it look better.
Old 03-11-03, 09:46 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by Taka
hey Jmai, it's been more than a year since I have done this but at least I never notice any calibration of the needle. I'm sure I could have installed it better but since it does the job, I haven't touched since then. You can be more creative and make it look better.
Umm, are we going to find out what the $10 trick is?
Old 03-11-03, 10:50 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
Umm, are we going to find out what the $10 trick is?
do you not read. go up like 4 post whre i just posted what he did.
Old 03-11-03, 11:32 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

do you not read. go up like 4 post whre i just posted what he did.
Originally posted by Taka
[B]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey Jmai, it's been more than a year since I have done this but at least I never notice any calibration of the needle. I'm sure I could have installed it better but since it does the job, I haven't touched since then. You can be more creative and make it look better

B]
I guess he confirmed the tape-trick with this post. Sorry for being an idiot
Old 03-12-03, 12:17 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 93LexoGS300
I guess he confirmed the tape-trick with this post. Sorry for being an idiot
just givin ya a hard time Eric. lol. first gen gotta give each other hard time once in a while. lol
Old 02-10-12, 09:56 AM
timothys
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Originally Posted by spinedoc
Doc you are a lifesaver! I am pretty good with taking apart dashes, so I am sure I can get to the instrument cluster. Here is my question for the expert...

If I can just pull off the cluster window, you think I can pop off the old needle and place the new needle in without removing the cluster? Or do I have to fiddle around with the back of the cluster for that?

Thanx again, this might work out well for all of us with failing cluster lights.
I have removed the intrument cluster from my "95" Lexus. All that is needed is a NO. 2 Philips screwdriver, to remove the mounting screws, and a flat blade screwdriver to help remove the wire connections from the back of the cluster. The cluster has to be manuvered to get it out of the dashboard. To replace any of the bulbs in the back of the cluster the whole cluster has to be removed. There are also two plastic covers screwed to the back of the intrument cluster which have to be removed. There are eight bulbs which illuminate tachometer and speedometer numbers. There are also about 15 other bulbs for warning lights, like check engine, and to show what gear the transmission is in, for an automatic trans. The bulbs cost about $1.00 (one dollar) each The needles are illuminated with LED's (light emitting diodes). I switched the tachometer needle and the speedometer needle since the LED's in the speedometer needle didn't work. I really don't need a Tach. for the automatic Trans.I spoke with a guy named Sam Woo in California who rebuilds Lexus instrument clusters. I got his number from thr service manager at Lexus of Lansing in Michigan. They send Lexus instrument clusters to him for repair. I thought he might tell me where I could get a nother speedometer needle. He said his suppliers are his secret and wouldn't tell me. Neither would he sell me one. He would rebuild the whole cluster including shipping for $260.00. I told him I could live without the Tachometer.

Last edited by timothys; 02-11-12 at 10:16 AM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-10-12, 12:57 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by timothys
I have removed the intrument cluster from my "95" Lexus. All that is needed is a NO. 2 Philips screwdriver, to remove the mounting screws, and a flat blade screwdriver to help remove the wire connections from the back of the cluster. The cluster has to be manuvered to get it out of the dashboard. To replace any of the bulbs in the back of the cluster the whole cluster has to be removed. There are also two plastic covers screwed to the back of the intrument cluster which have to be removed. There are eight bulbs which illuminate tachometer and speedometer numbers. There are also about 15 other bulbs for warning lights, like check engine, and to show what gear the transmission is in, for an automatic trans. The needles are illuminated with LED's (light emitting diodes). I switched the tachometer needle and the speedometer needle since the LED's in the speedometer needle didn't work. I really don't need a Tach. for the automatic Trans.I spoke with a guy named Sam Woo in California who rebuilds Lexus instrument clusters. I got his number from thr service manager at Lexus of Lansing in Michigan. They send Lexus instrument clusters to him for repair. I thought he might tell me where I could get a nother speedometer needle. He said his suppliers are his secret and wouldn't tell me. Neither would he sell me one. He would rebuild the whole cluster including shipping for $260.00. I told him I could live without the Tachometer.
No time to look right now, but there are members here and around that will rebuild these things as well... I've completely rebuilt mine myself - just takes a little led knowledge and the ability to work with very small led's... you can change colors of the needles and everything, just take the factory ones apart... Not easy, but not super hard either...
Old 02-17-12, 06:33 AM
cliftonp
Driver School Candidate

Default I want contact info for Sam Woo

Originally Posted by timothys
I have removed the intrument cluster from my "95" Lexus. All that is needed is a NO. 2 Philips screwdriver, to remove the mounting screws, and a flat blade screwdriver to help remove the wire connections from the back of the cluster. The cluster has to be manuvered to get it out of the dashboard. To replace any of the bulbs in the back of the cluster the whole cluster has to be removed. There are also two plastic covers screwed to the back of the intrument cluster which have to be removed. There are eight bulbs which illuminate tachometer and speedometer numbers. There are also about 15 other bulbs for warning lights, like check engine, and to show what gear the transmission is in, for an automatic trans. The bulbs cost about $1.00 (one dollar) each The needles are illuminated with LED's (light emitting diodes). I switched the tachometer needle and the speedometer needle since the LED's in the speedometer needle didn't work. I really don't need a Tach. for the automatic Trans.I spoke with a guy named Sam Woo in California who rebuilds Lexus instrument clusters. I got his number from thr service manager at Lexus of Lansing in Michigan. They send Lexus instrument clusters to him for repair. I thought he might tell me where I could get a nother speedometer needle. He said his suppliers are his secret and wouldn't tell me. Neither would he sell me one. He would rebuild the whole cluster including shipping for $260.00. I told him I could live without the Tachometer.
TimothyS, can you e-mail me contact info for Sam Woo please?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help fixing the lights inside speedometer needle.