Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Has anyone ever replaced ... (engine fan oil and power steering oil)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06, 01:19 PM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Has anyone ever replaced ... (engine fan oil and power steering oil) UPDATE

Has anyone ever replaced engine fan oil and power steering oil. I am working on a 95 SC400 which has been sitting in the garage for the last three years and want to replace all fluids before the car gets put back into full time service. I tried searching, but was unsuccessful. Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by StasGS4; 07-28-06 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-28-06, 07:05 AM
StasGS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

Yesterday evening I have flushed the power steering fluid, transmission fluid, differential, engine fan, and break fluid. All I can say is OMG! It is a new car again. I have never thought that the difference can be so dramatic. After the power steering flush the steering feels a lot tighter and more responsive. The transmission shifts so smoothly that you cant even tell that the gear has been changed. Even when you place it in D or R there is no more jerking. The breaks are so responsive that just by touching the pedal the car stops almost immediately and the pedal feels very firm. Once again I have never expected such a result from just plain fluid changes.

Yesterday I have also switched to Mobil 1 synthetic. I think the engine is running even smoother now. I am very impressed!

Total cost for all fluids including coolant was approximately $220. Trans fluid and coolant were the biggest expenses because these fluids are only available at the dealer.

Fluids used:
Motor oil – 5W30 Mobile 1
Trans Fluid – Toyota T-IV
Power steering fluid – Pennzoil Dexron III/Mercon
Engine Fan fluid - Pennzoil Dexron III/Mercon
Differential fluid – Valvoline 80W90
Break Fluid – Prestone Synthetic Dot 3
Coolan – Toyota Long Life (50/50 Mix with Distilled Water)
Old 07-28-06, 07:27 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

I would also add some Redline WaterWetter to the coolant...cheap but effective for the price.
Old 07-28-06, 10:10 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent ! !

It's amazing how fresh fluids will perk a Lexus up .... Reasonably priced too

( siphon out the washer fluid, run some distilled through the system, drain and refill with fresh premixed. )
Old 07-28-06, 01:58 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice!

I only drained and refilled my tranny fluid but the difference is amazing though. I do 95% city driving and my tranny shifts almost every 5 seconds (in between stops) so I nkow it takes a beating. It got to the point where it gets jerky so now i'm going to drain and refill everytime i do an oil change.

BTW how did you flush the power steering fluid? My fluid is brown now so it's time for it to be flushed, or at least drained. I guess I can get a pump and pump out the old fluid from the top. lol.

I'll be doing differential soon. I bought myself 2qts of Redline gear fluid (75w-90)

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.