Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Fluids galore

Old 04-07-06, 04:09 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluids galore

Decided to swap everything fluid related out. Since I didn't have the time this time around I had the dealer put it up and do everything for me.

1) Brake fluid: Swapped out the Motul RBF600 and went with the ATE Super Blue Racing. I debated staying with the RBF600 but I've heard so many good things about the ATE that I decided to try it. It lived up to one part of the claim to fame, it was easy to tell when the flush was complete. After the install the brakes seem a bit "softer" or longer to engage than before but it's pretty minor and nothing at all compared to the stock brakes. Decent fluid won't be chaning it out immediately but on the next change will probably switch back to Motul.

2) Transmission Fluid: Debated long and hard about switching to AMSOIL and in the end just stuck with the OEM Toyota Type IV. I figured with the 2800 stall that it probably wouldn't really solve the shift problem and the OEM fluid has been very very good to me. Had a full flush with the T-Tech (?) machine. Seems to shift a bit more positively again but nothing dramatic. BTW: I would highly recommend the T-Tech. It was simple. The hoses can be connected in any order and the machine figures out input/output and it does it fast and nice and easy (regular trans pressure). The only surprise was that had I bought the AMSOIL there didn't seem to be an easy way to just pour fluid into this thing. It seemed to only take fluid from a pressurized connector.

3) Power Steering Fluid: Ultimately found out I had to get the whole rack replaced (see other thread) but once replaced using Valvoline PS fluid. Seems positively fine but then I wasn't having problems before.

4) Rear Diff fluid: Royal Purple 85W-140. No metal on the plug and the TRD diff still seems to be in good shape. Since I replaced the same fluid no change as expected.

5) Coolant: Toyota Red. Never had any problems with it and I didn't see a need to change now. The only issue is the beautiful gurgle if you don' t get the air pockets out of the system. Worked this for a while and ran the car with heater on to try and purge bubbles. I can hear some minor gurgling but nothing major. Temp range seems fine with my driving as before.

6) Oil: Actually did this myself just before deciding to go whole hog. Royal Purple 5W30. The car has almost exclusively had RP in it since I put the SC on. It always idles soooo smooth after every oil change. Too bad it doesn't last the full 3K miles.

Car is a joy to drive. I know it is probably a psychological thing but it's just a joy to drive after you know everything has been replaced and ready for business.

Now it's time for new tires (torn on that decision too) and air filter the beast should be ready for a new season!
Old 04-08-06, 12:53 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I also use that Valvoline PS fluid, great stuff.

I have a question as to why 85W140 on the Royal Purple?

I plan to use a 75W90 Royal Purple (will have it down here before the end of the month) as I would think that having the 85W140 would get too thick when hot.
Old 04-08-06, 04:02 PM
Mr Johnson
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexmex
I have a question as to why 85W140 on the Royal Purple?
The aftermarket TRD LSD instructions recommeded 85W140 though the "regular" stuff should work too. I believe the reason they call for the larger range is that the thicker oil can better help absorb some of the shock to the gears which becomes more likelly due ot the LSD action.

If you have the stock differentials please use whatever toyota recommeds.
Old 04-08-06, 05:47 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Johnson
The aftermarket TRD LSD instructions recommeded 85W140 though the "regular" stuff should work too. I believe the reason they call for the larger range is that the thicker oil can better help absorb some of the shock to the gears which becomes more likelly due ot the LSD action.

If you have the stock differentials please use whatever toyota recommeds.
I am just amazed on that TRD LSD and that weight. I wish they would have something like that for my RX.

For the PSF fluid, once I run out of my Valvoline Powersyn I plan to give Mobil 1 ATF a try...I used to use it on my old BMW with improvement over stock.

I plan to give Amsoil ATF a try (even though not sold down here) when I get back to the states. I also went throught that debate.

BTW, ever try Redline WaterWetter in your coolant?