Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus parts prices that are inflated

Old 02-06-06, 12:12 AM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus parts prices that are inflated

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get an opinion out there in the real world. Do any of you purchase parts over the counter or check on parts prices on invoices? Is it common practice for Lexus parts to inflate the true list prices of parts? I am talking nearly 20% over the real list price?

Recently, I added my business account to the local dealer network. Kendall Group dealers here in Oregon. They gave me 20% discount which was fair but I started looking at invoices and realized the list price is marked up nearly 20%. WT#!!!!

I wouldnt buy a car from Kendall nor would I service anything. I guess the parts discount was too good to be true as well. I guess its back to mailorder discounts from Jay Marks Toyota and my good friend down at Sterling McCall Lexus in Tx.
Old 02-06-06, 05:22 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

You're generally right about the inflation on parts prices from the Lexus dealerships. If you look online in places like Irontoad and Lexus-parts.com, you'll see parts prices shaved off by a good chunk. Nice thing about it is that they are all factory OEM parts
Old 02-06-06, 12:57 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Remember, its Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), key word being Suggested, so they can try and charge what they like. But, you can shop elsewhere.
Old 02-06-06, 01:08 PM
toy4two
Lexus Champion

dealers hardly make their real money on selling cars, at least domestic makes. THey make more money on parts and service.
Old 02-06-06, 11:37 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by toy4two
dealers hardly make their real money on selling cars, at least domestic makes. THey make more money on parts and service.
Yes, and your point is??

I dont really care about domestic makes....I used to work for them.

I just wanted to sound the alarm for others to check those prices.
Old 02-06-06, 11:46 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
List price is dependant on the markup from the dealer. Riverside Lexus generally list accurate list prices, however Crown Lexus 15 miles away inflates their list prices all of the time.
Yep, I agree....but, I never realized that dealers use this same inflated markup to then apply discounts for wholesale customers.

Listen, if there are any number of internet Lexus dealers willing to discount off the real list price to us...the general public. They why in the hell would some local dealers think wholesale or retail customers would stand for this card game. There is enough markup in the standard list price!!!!!!!!!! The good dealers will sell you discounted parts from the standard list. Damn

You know, I love the cars/trucks from Lexus because they are built in Japan and just plain work but the growing number of shady/slimy US Lexus dealers just plain turns me off. I know long sentence.

I already dont take any of my cars in for any kind of service. Now, I cant even barter with the local parts departments to a fair wholesale discount. What is the world coming to?
Old 02-06-06, 11:54 PM
ToyLexmods
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BobsGX
Remember, its Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price (MSRP), key word being Suggested, so they can try and charge what they like. But, you can shop elsewhere.
Yes, its our famous economy at its best. Looking for the greatest poss margin and inflate the hell out of anything you can get by with. Go get em Exxon!

I hope everyone has a fixed interest mortgage because interest is a goin up and up.

Sorry to rant on and on. I just hope people check these invoices and dont stand for these inflated prices. I cant even walk into my local Toyota, Lexus or Subaru dealers. All owned by Kendall and all have inflated list prices. Too bad because I own 2 Toyotas, 4 Lexus and a Subaru. Not to mention web store business and tuning shop. Its just the principal of the whole thing.
Old 02-09-06, 08:21 AM
Carson-Lex
Original CL Sponsor since 1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can always give us a call or just PM me, we have offered CL members discounted parts pricing for years off of MSRP (non-inflated) and ship out all over the world
Old 02-09-06, 10:52 AM
LS4Lexus
Rookie

Yup, my local Lexus dealer marks up the parts prices too. They charge $13 for an oil filter that cost $5 at Toyota ($7.99 list price).
Old 02-09-06, 05:02 PM
parula
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup, my local Lexus dealer charges $13.02 PLUS $2.18 for the "gasket" I assume is the little washer that is attached to the filter box when I buy the filter myself! wow
I gave them my own Mobil1 and ddn't get a credit . . ....
thank you for this thread I am informed, and a bit dismayed
Old 02-09-06, 05:14 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ToyLexmods
Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get an opinion out there in the real world. Do any of you purchase parts over the counter or check on parts prices on invoices? Is it common practice for Lexus parts to inflate the true list prices of parts? I am talking nearly 20% over the real list price?

Recently, I added my business account to the local dealer network. Kendall Group dealers here in Oregon. They gave me 20% discount which was fair but I started looking at invoices and realized the list price is marked up nearly 20%. WT#!!!!

I wouldnt buy a car from Kendall nor would I service anything. I guess the parts discount was too good to be true as well. I guess its back to mailorder discounts from Jay Marks Toyota and my good friend down at Sterling McCall Lexus in Tx.
its called a buisness. its what they do. it cost them this much to get. i used to work at gap. it takes gap $5 for a piece of clothing on average. tahts to get it from china or tiwan or where ever its made. to be on the shelf at each store. yet they sell them for $50+ thats 10 times the cost of making it. guess what. some1 has to make money. thats what we do. and who ever said thats msrp. is totall correct. they can charge what ever they want realisticly. could be 5 over cost. could be 200 over cost. what it comes down to it. when u buy something. ur givin money to the MAN
Old 02-20-06, 12:09 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
its called a buisness. its what they do. it cost them this much to get. i used to work at gap. it takes gap $5 for a piece of clothing on average. tahts to get it from china or tiwan or where ever its made. to be on the shelf at each store. yet they sell them for $50+ thats 10 times the cost of making it. guess what. some1 has to make money. thats what we do. and who ever said thats msrp. is totall correct. they can charge what ever they want realisticly. could be 5 over cost. could be 200 over cost. what it comes down to it. when u buy something. ur givin money to the MAN
True that. Bear in mind a Lexus dealership is a hell of alot nicer facility than a toyota dealership, the overhead on that nicer facility is greater and the profits should be greater at a higher end facility. Does that mean that educated consumers need to pay more than they have to? No. If you want to walk into a fancy place with marble floors to buy parts, than go to a Lexus dealership. If thats not a big concern for you, than go somewhere else or shop online and do the legwork yourself and save some money.
Old 02-20-06, 07:08 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
True that. Bear in mind a Lexus dealership is a hell of alot nicer facility than a toyota dealership, the overhead on that nicer facility is greater and the profits should be greater at a higher end facility. Does that mean that educated consumers need to pay more than they have to? No. If you want to walk into a fancy place with marble floors to buy parts, than go to a Lexus dealership. If thats not a big concern for you, than go somewhere else or shop online and do the legwork yourself and save some money.
if u look at it. lexus has more benifits. i take for my shop for example

we have a customer network
free shoe shine
free masage
cafe
wide screen cable tvs
childrens area
putting course
leather seats in waiting area
computers with internet

there are many more i just cant think of all of them

local toyota
coffee
childrens area

lexus dealership has more creature comforts. for those who prefer to be more comfortable.
Old 02-20-06, 08:21 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaidman
if u look at it. lexus has more benifits. i take for my shop for example

we have a customer network
free shoe shine
free masage
cafe
wide screen cable tvs
childrens area
putting course
leather seats in waiting area
computers with internet

there are many more i just cant think of all of them

local toyota
coffee
childrens area

lexus dealership has more creature comforts. for those who prefer to be more comfortable.
McGrath Chicago?

Nice place. I work out in Oak Brook and I take my car to McGrath Westmont. I agree that Lexus prices are inflated, but I know that going in, and I'm okay with it because the level of service is higher. I had a Honda Accord for a while, and when I needed to bring it in for warranty work (broken lumbar support, sticking seatbelt, etc.), I had to arrange to be picked up from the dealership and someone had to take me back when the car was ready. At Lexus, I get a loaner (and a nice one at that), and I'm willing to pay a little more for that. I'm not saying that this gives Lexus the right to take you to the cleaners so to speak, but they are entitled to more than the average place.
Old 02-20-06, 09:08 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
McGrath Chicago?

Nice place. I work out in Oak Brook and I take my car to McGrath Westmont. I agree that Lexus prices are inflated, but I know that going in, and I'm okay with it because the level of service is higher. I had a Honda Accord for a while, and when I needed to bring it in for warranty work (broken lumbar support, sticking seatbelt, etc.), I had to arrange to be picked up from the dealership and someone had to take me back when the car was ready. At Lexus, I get a loaner (and a nice one at that), and I'm willing to pay a little more for that. I'm not saying that this gives Lexus the right to take you to the cleaners so to speak, but they are entitled to more than the average place.
and thats the truth. scarry i think i have a stalker. but its ok. they are fun to play with

u speak the truth. ur dealership will remember u when u have a hude problem. ie motor or trans. u beeing a good customer they are more willing to good will it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus parts prices that are inflated