Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Small rust spots in pearl white paint

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 05:12 PM
Deni
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small rust spots in pearl white paint

This isn't exactly a maintenance issue, but I would like to know if anyone has delt with this problem before. I have a 2004 GX470 in blizzard pearl. While I was washing it, (I keep up on the washing and waxing even if I don't always do it myself), I noticed small pinpoint rust spots all over the vehicle. Some, more noticeable than others. Not too many on the hood or roof, but mainly on all of the door panels, foot rails, wheel wells, front end and even on the bottom of the doors, which are vislble when you open them.

I took it to the dealer and was told it was "railroad dust" from the air. Long story, but it's obviously a defect in the paint or the paint process. They attempted to "buff" out the spots, but by no means did they remove all of them. I think it should be re-painted at their cost. They said they spoke with a Lexus rep and they will be ordering a special compound to bring out all of the spots and will re-buff.

That's fine, until the rust re-occurs and the warranty has expired. I called Lexus customer service and explained my concern and frustration. They aren't going to do anything at this time.

Any suggestions on a course of action? I'd really appreciate some input, Thanks!
Old 10-31-05, 05:50 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default If it's rust, dealer should fix, but if it's truly dust...

It might really be railroad dust, from the transportation by rail from the shipping docks to your area. Railroad dust is one of those things that detailing "clay" can remove from the paint surface- you or a detailer or the dealer may want to try that. Plenty of info on clay is in the Detailing forum, if you care to search.
Old 10-31-05, 09:27 PM
Deni
Driver School Candidate

Default Detailing clay

Thank you for your input Perry. I will do some research on detailing clay. I have a couple more questions though. If it were railroad dust, why wasn't it present when I bought the car? Wouldn't all or most of the other cars I have owned have the same problem, including the 2001 pearl white GS430? One service agent at the dealership mentioned the same thing, yet another told me that their cars were transported by truck, so it must have come from the air.

There's more to the story, but because of the way I was treated and the conflicting answers I was given, I feel like they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I am disapointed, I expected an above board response from Lexus. I have always been satisfied in the past, perhaps I'm spoiled and this is a reality check.
Old 10-31-05, 10:25 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Maybe ya didn't notice it till the dust rusted...?

I do know that brake dust, railroad dust, and tree sap all bond to the surface of paint, and regular cleaning won't remove it, but clay will. Cars made in Japan are offloaded on each coast, and then trucked to dealerships, but sometimes part of the trip is by rail. Even if a car is never on a train, a lot of distribution teminals are near railyards, so maybe it got there that way (IF it's rail dust- we still don't know).

You also might want to ask about rail dust on http://autopia.org/ and the Detailing forum on ClubLexus, if you are anxious to get as many opinions as possible.
Old 11-01-05, 06:11 AM
picus
Lexus Test Driver

This is actually not an uncommon problem if you live near, or downwind of a railway. Many people notice these spots first on top of a clear bra since the dust tends to bond more quickly to the bra than the paint. It isn't a paint defect, it's the environment taking it out on your paint. I would definitely try clay as Perry mentioned. If you're unsure or worried about using clay on your car, find a local detailer - they'll know what to do and odds are it won't cost more than couple hours of labor. When the dust is gone you might consider applying a sealant or wax regularly to the car after washes - this won't eliminate dust bonding to the paint, but it will certainly help prevent it.

Autopia.org is definitely the best place to ask about something like this. There are many posts about rail dust removal so you should be able to find all the answers you're looking for.

Good luck.