Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Omission in lexls.com on changing rotors

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-05, 11:14 PM
suloh
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Omission in lexls.com on changing rotors

I just changed the rotors and pads on my LS using the instructions on lexls.com. However after cruising around on the next, I discovered an important omission on the site.

The site suggest opening the brake fluid reservoir cap (to allow brake fluid to flow back )and then use a wooden dowel and a bar to force the caliper pistons to retract to accomodate the new pads. I have read that the way to do this is to open the bleeder valve and let the flud come out through the bleeder. Apparently the method listed on lexls.com might contaminate the ABS valve with the dirty fluid from the calipers. Other than that lexls.com is an excellent site.

Now that I have made the mistake, you guys think my abs is screwed?? I am thinking of flushing my brakes.
Old 10-25-05, 05:04 AM
muldrick
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All brake jobs "should" be performed this way. However, I bet about 2% of the people actually do this. No, you shouldn't push old fluid back into the master cylinder, but it won't cause any problems. Your ABS is fine, don't worry about it.
If it would make you feel more comfortable, you can suck the old brake fluid (with a sqeeze bottle or "turkey baster") out of the master cylinder and then add new fluid. This should be done every 2-3 years anyway.

Originally Posted by suloh
I just changed the rotors and pads on my LS using the instructions on lexls.com. However after cruising around on the next, I discovered an important omission on the site.

The site suggest opening the brake fluid reservoir cap (to allow brake fluid to flow back )and then use a wooden dowel and a bar to force the caliper pistons to retract to accomodate the new pads. I have read that the way to do this is to open the bleeder valve and let the flud come out through the bleeder. Apparently the method listed on lexls.com might contaminate the ABS valve with the dirty fluid from the calipers. Other than that lexls.com is an excellent site.

Now that I have made the mistake, you guys think my abs is screwed?? I am thinking of flushing my brakes.

Last edited by muldrick; 10-25-05 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-25-05, 07:29 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want a complete brake bleeding, you may have to take it to a dealer. To bleed the ABS system completely, a service computer is needed to control the pump solenoids and run the pump.
You're correct on the opening the bleed valve when pushing back the cylinders and cups, a step forgotten by most..