Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

What to use on carpet mats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-01, 05:55 PM
dgangi

Question

Can anybody recommend a good cleaner for my floor mats? For spot cleaning I have been using Tuff Stuff (Simoniz) and it seems to do a so-so job. If I really need to do a better job I pull out my Bissell Green Machine and shampoo the mats.

I am definitely open to suggestions. I am one of those **** people who hate it when their floor mats get dirty or stained (can't they make stain-proof mats??).

Thx...Doug
Old 07-13-01, 10:20 PM
gsexploits
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION

Here's the best way to go. It's simple, and it's something every one has around the house already - no special stuff required...

Hose the mats down, sprinkle some laundry detergent on (liquid or powder), scrub with a floor type broom (not the straw type, but the bristle type) until it is very sudsy...you don't need too much as this stuff is typically pretty concentrated. Leave the detergent on for as long as you like, making sure it doesn't dry out. The longer the better if the mats are really stained - kind of like the soak cycle in your washing machine (ask your significant other if you don't know what I am talking about!).

Hose it off - make sure you get it all off until the water runs clear with no suds. Hang the mats over a fence until dry (usually overnight, or do it in the morning and by the end of the day it will be dry).

This stuff is designed to get everything out. Anything that you might step in and get on your mats can be removed this way. You could do it every week if you really want to be ****, and it will cost pennies to do so.

It will NOT adversely affect the color or anything else (Just don't use stuff with BLEACH in it).

Good luck.
Old 07-14-01, 09:43 AM
dgangi

Thumbs up I tried that

GSExploits - funny you mention the "hose" method. I already tried that and it worked great but it was just soooooo much work.

When I first bought both my 2000 GS300 and 1999 Tahoe, the floor mats on both cars were dirty because the previous owners didn't do the greatest job at keeping the floor mats clean. I tried just about every spray cleaner around and nothing got them very clean. And, to make matters worse, these products probably added a sticky residue so they just got dirtier.

In frustration I took every mat out of the car, thoroughly soaked them with the hose, and scribbed the ***** out of them with a brush and some laundry detergent. I hosed them off really well (seemed to take an eternity to get all of the soap out) and then sucked the water out with my Bissell Green Machine. I figured the extraction would make them dry in 1/3 the time as the "drip dry" method.

I left the mats out of the cars overnight in the garage and in the morning they looked great. I was very pleased to say the least.

The only bummer is the work involved in cleaning the mats. I was looking for a good "intermittent" solution to a thorough hose-out solution. I don't want anything that leaves a sticky residue and just about everything I have tried, including my favorite "Tuff Stuff", does this.

Thx...Doug
Old 07-22-01, 07:26 PM
1niceride
Lexus Test Driver

You should just buy some thick rubber mats . They are easy to clean and dont look too bad. I use my weather tech mats on place of my lexus mats .

One time my nephew spilled a coke in my car and if it wasnt for the rubber mats they would have gotten all over the floor .
Old 07-23-01, 02:25 PM
ObiDon
Driver

I use the spray on carpet cleaner that we use in the house. It doesn't get the mats to wet and when it dries I use a hand vac to finish it off.