Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Maintenance: best wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-01, 04:56 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question

I looked inthe archives already, but didn't really find anything on what people are using.

I like the blade to do such a job that it looks like nothing there after the blade passes; I mean crystal clear.

I imagine places like Pep Boys and AutoZone would have some that would fit, but I've heard of the "triple edge" or something, and my buddy swears by them....

You guys using anything special?

TIA
Old 07-12-01, 05:08 AM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a triple edge(blade only) on my Maxima and I thought it performed as advertised...Worked well for me and was only a 2 minute install....Tiny
Old 07-12-01, 05:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Dexter
I like the blade to do such a job that it looks like nothing there after the blade passes; I mean crystal clear.

I imagine places like Pep Boys and AutoZone would have some that would fit, but I've heard of the "triple edge" or something, and my buddy swears by them....
I've only ever sworn AT aftermarket blades. What's wrong with the Lexus ones? And they're not expensive either (I replace the ones on our RX300 in 5 minutes and the blades, from the dealer, were $16 I think).
Old 07-12-01, 05:56 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Nothing really against lexus blades, mine just need replacing, and rarely does the dealer come in cheaper than a product identical.

Lexus probaly uses an aftermarket blade themselves, you know, like anco, or bosch, or something, and I'd bet good money they can be had for cheaper at an A/P store.

Old 07-12-01, 06:29 AM
RhuluM
Driver School Candidate

Well what ever blade you get, make sure you got a couple coats of RainX that stuff will make you use the windshield wiper less. This stuff really works, the water just slides off your windows. It will also make your winsheild wiper last longer because you wont use it that much.
Old 07-12-01, 09:51 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

My assumption was that replacement of wipers was part of regular scheduled maintenance (aka pollen air filter).

Salim
Old 07-13-01, 03:42 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Hey Salim,

Yep, it is, I'm just not happy with the performance of the exisitng blades, so, I'm upgrading.

Peace

Getting ready for a great weekend of driving, tinting, and debadging!

Old 07-13-01, 08:22 AM
robertito
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important thing with blades is actually washing them carefully; they work better, and mine last 40,000 miles, because the environment doesn't eat'em up.
Old 07-13-01, 08:34 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i put on some bosch and they worked great, much better than stock anyways.
Old 07-13-01, 10:47 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up Got 'em

Pep boys

TRICO

direct replacement; depress the hook thingy behind the arm and slide the entire bracket out, put on new one; 5 minutes

$21

crystal clear

Old 07-13-01, 06:50 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

I've tried all kinds of wiper blades in my previous car such as AeroBlade, Triple edge, Multi-edge, Bosch, Motor Master, Exact Fit, PIAA, etc. and BELIEVE ME the OEM is the best. Bosch may come in second but definetly more expensive than just buy the OEM refills. PIAA is probably the best looking wiper blades out there. But for the performance, I'd stick with OEM.
Old 07-13-01, 07:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by MGS4
I've tried all kinds of wiper blades in my previous car such as AeroBlade, Triple edge, Multi-edge, Bosch, Motor Master, Exact Fit, PIAA, etc. and BELIEVE ME the OEM is the best. Bosch may come in second but definetly more expensive than just buy the OEM refills. PIAA is probably the best looking wiper blades out there. But for the performance, I'd stick with OEM.
That's my experience too. I've tried two or three brands of aftermarket blades on previous cars and ended up throwing them out after a few days.
Old 07-13-01, 07:57 PM
LexRX
RX 300 & 350Z Guru

Once you get the wiper blades you want try cleaning them every once in a while with rubbing alcohol. Put some on a paper towel and wipe down the rubber blade. Works great and when you have a clean windshield you'll have a great, streak free, wipe in the rain.
Old 07-13-01, 08:05 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

While we're on this windshield theme, I've read about using a product called 'Bon Ami' to kind of polish your windshield. Its like the consistancy of talcum power I think. The ad and picture are below.

It's supposedly helps on windshield that have been a little pitted by dirt and the like, usually cars a couple years old. Y'know, all those marks you see when driving into the sun? This is supposed to clean the dirt out of those pits and make your windshield look new again.

Anybody have any experience?

Many allergists recommend original Bon Ami because the natural ingredients contain no detergent, bleach, perfume or dye. Bon Ami still makes its 1886 formula Cleaning Cake the old-fashioned way – cutting the bars with piano wires and working them by hand. Bon Ami Cleaning Powder is the same 1886 formula but in powder form… and in a easy to shake round can. Both contain gentle feldspar abrasive for polishing and soap for cleaning all hard surfaces. Use to defog windows and mirrors. NASA even used Cleaning Powder to clean the windows on Skylab. Stock up and save!

Attached Images  
Old 07-14-01, 06:19 AM
GS430_4Me
Rookie

It also helps in cleaning the windshield and blades to add a glurg of ammonia to the washer fluid reservoir.

I've been doing this for over a decade, based on the recommendation of of a wiper blade manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Maintenance: best wiper blades?