Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Part # RX300 Tranny Filter and Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 08:25 PM
deejay356
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part # RX300 Tranny Filter and Gasket

I have 2000/RX300/AWD
Getting ready to do a 60k service. i found all the part numbers for everthing except for the tranny filter and pan gasket need help with this one!!!!! not even my local toyota dealer will help me with it. they told me they don't know what part number my lexus uses called a local lexus dealer and they won't give me the part number

can anybody help me
Old 06-01-05, 03:14 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by deejay356
I have 2000/RX300/AWD
Getting ready to do a 60k service. i found all the part numbers for everthing except for the tranny filter and pan gasket need help with this one!!!!! not even my local toyota dealer will help me with it. they told me they don't know what part number my lexus uses called a local lexus dealer and they won't give me the part number

can anybody help me
The 'tranny filter' is actually a mesh type screen & you normally do not replace it, you just clean it when you replace the gasket as it's re-usable. Not sure the part number of the gasket.......check your dealer parts dept, but you don't have to replace the filter.
Old 06-01-05, 07:25 AM
ellwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're dealing with an Asian car so things are different. There is no disposable paper transmission filter on a Toyota like there is on a Buick or Ford. On a Toyota you never replace the transmiission filter. You just inspect it roughly every 150,000 miles for signs of clogging and if the filter contains debris you remove the filter screen, wash it in solvent and reinstall. However, the screen rarely becomes restricted. So if your 2000 model has under 150K miles it would be a waste of time to remove the transmission oil pan to inspect the screen (except maybe if fluid changes has never ever been performed and the fluid turned black from burning).

Cooling system service is also different on a Toyota. You just need need to drain and refill the radiator every couple years with the factory original coolant mixture (50% distilled water + 50% Toyota Long Life Antifreeze). Forget the engine block drain plugs, forget reverse flushing, forget flushing T's - theie all a waste of time because the cooling system stays spotlessly clean inside if the factory original cooant mixture is always used.. You should replace the cooling system thermostat, however, about every 5-7 years and use a genuine Toyota thermostat and gasket. Also, roughly every 5-7 years consider removing the radiator to wash the bugs and dust out of the radiator fins using a garden hose. Wash the AC condenser at the same time (but don't remove it for cleaning)