Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Lexus changed my coolant to green. Is that normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 08:32 PM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Would love to do a Letterman Top 10 on this, but I'll keep it short:
1) Because they're still profit-hungry morons.
2) Because if you do the drain/fill only, it's enough to keep most cars going until the warranty is over, and it may be enough anyway you look at it. It's just not the best way to do it if you want to be complete. Same deal with the transmission fluid.
To be fair, some dealers may actually do a full flush, my dealer doesn't.
I guess you have to specifically request a 100% fluid change & get them to put it in writing right on the work order.......if they didn't do a proper flush (let's say your going from Toyota Red to Pink for example) you will know about & they will just have to do it all over again!
Old 06-03-05, 11:09 PM
lexus808
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the links. Very informative... Well I'm glad my little plight can help others be more aware. I never knew there was a major difference between all the different types of anitfreeze out there. I thought they were all pretty much the same, like gasoline, and each has different additives but that was about it. I did some searching on here and on the net after discovering my newly green coolant, and it really opened my eyes. I still feel somewhat violated that they put that stuff in my car without telling me. And then they tell me it's cheaper and comparable so it should be ok. Let me decide if it's "ok." They should provide me with options and I pick what's best.

Someone in this thread said I should go to another dealer... I wish I had that option but it's one of the prices of living on an island (Hawaii). We only have one dealer here --well technically, I should say one on Oahu. There's also one on Maui but it's not like I can drive over there to get my service done.

Oh well, they flushed it, fixed some other issues, gratis, and I'm happy I guess. Have a nice weekend everyone. I think it's time for a beer or two.
Old 06-05-05, 05:44 PM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lexus freak you posted " It's funny, the jug of Toyota Red coolant that I have says it's good for 2 years or 30,000 miles, not 4 years." ??

My info came from Toyota's support magazine called "Star Service News: Toyota's Support to Automobile Repair." Many dealership service departments get this periodical. It's full of service procedures and tips. You may find some on their magazine rack in the waiting area.

I checked a container of Toyota long life antifreeze coolant Part #00272-1LLAC 1 US gal. (Toyota Red). There was not a 2 year or 30,000 mile statement on the container. Perhaps that's a Canadian version of the Toyota Red?
Old 06-05-05, 06:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by csaxon

I checked a container of Toyota long life antifreeze coolant Part #00272-1LLAC 1 US gal. (Toyota Red). There was not a 2 year or 30,000 mile statement on the container. Perhaps that's a Canadian version of the Toyota Red?

funny you say, I was just reading a jug of toyota red in my garage after reading about the 2yr/30k thing, and I couldn't find anything like that on mine either.
Old 06-05-05, 07:34 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

You guys are making me nervous.....I got the car used and have no idea what type of coolant is in it.

What is the CORRECT coolant to put in our cars? Is the part number that csaxon posted above the right stuff?

I plan to do this myself (doesn't look too difficult), and I have a dumb question.....where can I get distilled water? Will Poland Spring work?
Old 06-05-05, 07:44 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadd
You guys are making me nervous.....I got the car used and have no idea what type of coolant is in it.

What is the CORRECT coolant to put in our cars? Is the part number that csaxon posted above the right stuff?

I plan to do this myself (doesn't look too difficult), and I have a dumb question.....where can I get distilled water? Will Poland Spring work?

the paranoia got me already too...LOL take your cap off and check the overflow-it should be pretty dark red.

just go to toyota dealer and tell them you want a jug of the red coolant. distilled water is at the grocery store.
Old 06-05-05, 07:57 PM
Cadd
Lexus Test Driver

Is there a DIY page for coolant change out there somewhere? BananaGS's page does not have coolant change instructions.
Old 06-05-05, 09:36 PM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Poland Spring is not distilled water. You can get a gallon of distilled at any Kmart for 80 cents or so.
Old 06-10-05, 02:27 AM
hayaku
Driver School Candidate

I bought my car used also and it has the green coolant...
Old 06-14-05, 10:50 AM
Dramon
Driver

I've always used OEM Nissan anti-freeze and distilled water. No problems at all in mine.

I think the biggest thing is the water and use of a good quality coolant.

Distilled water is the best to use for obvious reasons but its a lot more consistant than tap water that can vary from town to town.

Last edited by Dramon; 06-14-05 at 11:11 AM.
Old 06-14-05, 12:27 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dramon
I've always used OEM Nissan anti-freeze and distilled water. No problems at all in mine.

I think the biggest thing is the water and use of a good quality coolant.

Distilled water is the best to use for obvious reasons but its a lot more consistant than tap water that can vary from town to town.
i can use East Bay MUD water where I live in a cooling system, but i wouldn't use tap water in Orange County or Solano County.