Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Forget about the 3000 and 5000-mile oil change debate!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-05, 09:33 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

When I posted this topic, I did not mean to elicit this much response. It was for FYI only. Something meant to document a factual case, not a hearsay or opinion. It was not intended to convert people to do what the courier driver did to his Toyota. I won't even do that to my own vehicles. . I will continue to do what I am comfortable with.

Regarding the Toyota, the engine has never been opened. Everything is factory original, including the valve cover gaskets. It uses oil now but still passes the strict smog check here in California. The only things that have been replaced were coolant thermostat, radiator, accessory belts, spark plugs, fuel filter, suspension ball joints, shock absorbers, and battery.
Old 03-31-05, 11:48 AM
yoji6365
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whitels
When I posted this topic, I did not mean to elicit this much response. It was for FYI only. Something meant to document a factual case, not a hearsay or opinion. It was not intended to convert people to do what the courier driver did to his Toyota. I won't even do that to my own vehicles. . I will continue to do what I am comfortable with.

Regarding the Toyota, the engine has never been opened. Everything is factory original, including the valve cover gaskets. It uses oil now but still passes the strict smog check here in California. The only things that have been replaced were coolant thermostat, radiator, accessory belts, spark plugs, fuel filter, suspension ball joints, shock absorbers, and battery.
Wow, if you mention oil or coolant on these forums, you're gonna get loads of responses. Usually its the same people posting the same info. Im starting to sound like one of those guys. Uggghhhh
Old 03-31-05, 03:01 PM
sump
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yoji6365
Wow, if you mention oil or coolant on these forums, you're gonna get loads of responses. Usually its the same people posting the same info. Im starting to sound like one of those guys. Uggghhhh

Yup, it is the same people.

as you stated, "Im really beginning to think all these additives, synthetics, high mileage oil, 3k interval oil changes and high priced filters are marketed to do what businesses do best: Take your money."

I think some is true and some is false.

As far as a seperate forum, as our forum admin. He should help with this issue.

Last edited by sump; 03-31-05 at 03:07 PM.
Old 03-31-05, 03:52 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,293 Posts

We have removed access for two of our forum members who continually battled about oil (synthetic vs dino), despite multiple warnings and pleas from our moderators and myself. There are thread after thread of locked oil posts because of these two former members. They DO NOT EVER STOP going after each other about their differences in opinion about oil and it always degenerates and they make the discussion personal. It recently got to the point where we had to remove their access after repeated warnings.

Unfortunately, they have decided to ignore our forum rules and rejoin under different IDs. Guess what they immediately did? Started arguing about oil under their new IDS VGR (saber) and gsxr1100/sump (mburnickas) .

Saber and mburnickas - this is a public warning not to rejoin ClubLexus or we will begin formal notification to your ISPs that you are repeat terms of service violaters / hackers and ask that they drop your service. We have a pretty good record of ISPs conceeding to our well documented requests once we send them all the links and IP data that is collected. Please go to an automotive oil forum (there are many) and carry on your argument there, its tired and old here because you cannot follow forum rules and be civil to one another.

Both of these guys seemed very knowledgeable about the subject matter of oil, so it is a shame to have to ban them. However their continued battles over a period of months has taken far too much moderator time to police as they ignore our forum rules over and over again and pulled others into the arguments as well.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-31-05 at 11:14 PM.