Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Salt corrosion/rust -How to address on Alum. engine and underside-EastCoast question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-05, 06:45 PM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Salt corrosion/rust -How to address on Alum. engine and underside-EastCoast question

I just picked up a beautiful white SC400 from Michigan, 60k m almost mint condition, BUT,
I noticed what is probably salt spray on engine areas that were exposed, or some moisture got to.
Also, on the underside, the A arms look like they have some rust on them.
1)How to neutralize it
2) What have you ACTUALLY done which either arrests or recoats the A arms, (I dont want to dismantle them to brush and paint them , at best, I could hot spray with water, maybe scuff them if I could reach all surfaces(not likely) and maybe paint brush them

I wanna keep this for many years. The car is now in Southern Calif.
The pix is the engine, just below the passenger side bank of spark plugs,(note the white corrosion, sort of dusty, but looks like aluminum corrosion from salt mist that came from underneat

The next area is my A arms are sorta rusty, I want to address and arrest this forever.
So, besides hot water spraying, how do I get these areas to showroom condition, or permanently arrest these areas.
Much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Salt corrosion/rust -How to address on Alum. engine and underside-EastCoast question-img_0437.jpg  
Old 02-19-05, 07:35 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Here is another pix of rusting A arms

I "borrowed: this pix from another poster, but it shows corrosion
Attached Thumbnails Salt corrosion/rust -How to address on Alum. engine and underside-EastCoast question-rusted-a-arms.jpg  
Old 02-19-05, 09:20 PM
Streamline
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too would like to know how to stop this corrosion. This happens on a lot of cars that are primarily on the East Coast..
Old 03-23-05, 08:53 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Purchased some Salt-X

I was a little surprised that most folks that are concerned that the top half of their ride don't seem to do much about the long term damage done by salt roads from the East coast.
After much searching,
I purchased some Salt-X from a boat shop that uses the stuff for rust prevention on boats which use metal parts and is used on engine metal parts.
Supposed to spray it on , will neutralize the salt.
Will try it next month.
After that, I will select certain areas that have visible rust and paint them for "further rust protection".

If anyone has any has any experience with the salt corrosion from the roads, please reply.
Thanks
Old 03-23-05, 09:20 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexicon1
I was a little surprised that most folks that are concerned that the top half of their ride don't seem to do much about the long term damage done by salt roads from the East coast.
After much searching,
I purchased some Salt-X from a boat shop that uses the stuff for rust prevention on boats which use metal parts and is used on engine metal parts.
Supposed to spray it on , will neutralize the salt.
Will try it next month.
After that, I will select certain areas that have visible rust and paint them for "further rust protection".

If anyone has any has any experience with the salt corrosion from the roads, please reply.
Thanks
hey where did you snag that car from in michigan? and how much is that salt-X?

CEO
Old 03-23-05, 10:26 AM
Lexicon1
Advanced

Default Salt-X

Got the car from a little dutch town in Michigan
The Salt-X is a whopping $12
Got it from the site below.

http://www.boatersworld.com/webapp/w...atalogId=10051
Old 04-08-05, 07:08 AM
shikbas
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you use this material,how was it
Old 04-08-05, 07:17 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

Completely flush the car with water, especially the underbody & the parts you mentioned......then find a shop that uses an annual oil spray rust proof application & get it done once a year (fall is the best time). This way by using the oil based product, it will get in the little nooks & craveses on the vehicle......this will significantly stop any rust from accelerating to damage the body or underbody further. Don't bother doing any body work.......unless entire panels & parts are replaced, it will only mask the problem & temporarily at that. I'm not sure if you have a product in the U.S. called Krown rustproofing or Rust Check......but those are the most popular in Canada (Salt capital of the world lol).