Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Can anyone give me info on C-Best config?

Old 05-22-01, 07:43 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

right now, the light on the doors and under the footwell lights up whenever I open it, for the rear door the top light on each side lights on. Even tho I turned the switch at the overhead consol to OFF. Can the C-Best system be adjusted to turn off all interior lights when doors are opend?
Old 05-24-01, 09:16 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why do u want all those lights turned off?
Old 05-24-01, 10:46 PM
Kaban
Lead Lap

SC300,

Well, when I wash my car and cleaning the interior I usually leave all 4 doors and trunk open and with the stereo blasting. Knowing how weak Lexus batteries are, I don't want to drain it too much so it won't die out on me while driving.
Old 05-25-01, 03:14 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Kaban, if your battery dies while driving, you'll never know until the next time that you try to start the car. When your motor is running, the alternator supplies all the electrical needs for the motor and all electrical accessories plus recharges the battery. When the battery goes bad, it will simply lose one or more cells, not recharge and be unable to supply sufficient power to start the car (altho the car can be jump-started under those circumstances).

In my experience with 5 different Lex, which over the years went through a total of 2 batteries, you'll probably get some slight warning. Both times I had battery failure, the car actually still started, but starter motor cranked slower than normal. Since, long ago when petroleum was still being formed from trilobites being squashed together, I worked in a service station and did all that stuff, I was aware of the warning I was being given and so replaced the battery IMMEDIATELY, before I was unable to start the car. You may only be able to start a couple of more times when this "symptom" shows up, so wouldn't delay.

As far as C-BEST, bitkahuna posted the entire list over on the Edmunds GS forum. May have to scroll back a couple of months which is major asspain but their search function not really deserving of term function.

Last edited by mooretorque; 05-25-01 at 03:17 AM.
Old 05-25-01, 05:42 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Compared to the stereo blasting, the drain from the interior and door lights is miniscule. Those bulbs take very little power. I've left my door ajar overnight more than once and had plenty of power to start the next morning.

Alternative suggestion -- Why not just bring out a boom box for music and not worry about the drain on the car battery?
Old 05-28-01, 12:01 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Marty,

Thanks for the suggestion, I think I'll just turn up my home stereo so I can hear it in the garage. The only boombox I have is a clock radio which is a crappy one.

Old 05-28-01, 06:31 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Here's an idea

When I know I'm in for the long cleaning haul on my GS (wash 2x, dry, clay bar, wax, vacuum, leather conditioner--you get the idea 5+ hours) I just hook up my battery charger on trickle charge--2amp/12 volt and thats more than enough to power the lights and stereo with no ill effects on the battery.
Old 05-28-01, 07:06 PM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up Re: Here's an idea

Originally posted by Johnny Mo
When I know I'm in for the long cleaning haul on my GS (wash 2x, dry, clay bar, wax, vacuum, leather conditioner--you get the idea 5+ hours) I just hook up my battery charger on trickle charge--2amp/12 volt and thats more than enough to power the lights and stereo with no ill effects on the battery.
Now THAT is a cool idea!